1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did Amazon join the network?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by jazzylee77, Jul 31, 2005.

:) I used the co-op for a couple months before realizing I wasn't required to have ads link to the same site that generated the weight.

I just noticed a co-op link to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The url was to amazon. I'll change it but it looked like this amazon dot com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=someonesamazonidhere&path=tg%2Fdetail%2F-%2F0439784549%2Fqid%3D1106832743%2Fsr%3D8-1%2

now, I'm wondering...is someone using this like an unfocused adwords amazon affiliate with no landing page? (or maybe they just really like harry potter and amazon)

Would this be permitted? Could be common practice for all I know, but I'd never noticed an ad like that.

jazzylee77, Jul 31, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm confused...is it an affiliate link?

ViciousSummer, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  3. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    it sure looks like an affiliate link.

It has what looks like an affiliate id in it.

4. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Yep...looks like an affiliate link. I browsed the coop rules and didn't see anything that would forbid affilate links, although my attention span is short and it HAS to be in there...

ViciousSummer, Jul 31, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  5. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I looked for a rule about that too and didn't see it, but it's way past my bedtime...yawn. I'll probably wake up and see nothing but amazon and overstock.com ads at the bottom of my pages...

6. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    after sleeping on it...

I have seen affiliate ads on the network before...for the co-op. So this is probably allowed.

Now I'm wondering , would it be worth it? Writing direct link ads to hot products?

Direct Linking vs Landing Page

Direct linking is a lesser method in adwords because you compete with all the other ads pointing to a domain. The strategy there is to build a landing page and then only have to compete on keywords. Since co-op ads display randomly, this part of the landing page argument is gone.

downside of direct linking

no customer loyalty or bookmarking
    no page rank benefits
    no chance to pre-sell

I guess the final question for me would be...

If I'm going to take the time to write a text aff. ad that will be viewed about the same number of times as the co-op ads at the bottom of my pages, why wouldn't I just put that text aff. ad there? My answer is, I want to draw surfers to my sites for fun and profit.

Speaking of fun, I'm off to the beach.

7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That's an amazon affiliate link. Within the link, look at the part which says tag=someonesamazonidhere that's the affiliate's id. Personally I think that's a complete waste of co-op weight.

dcristo, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  8. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't Amazon affiliate links include a 1x1 image with your referal id in it? How would they do a text link or banner ad in the coop without that 1x1 image and still get the credit for the sale?

Dominic, Aug 4, 2005 IP
  9. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I asked a similar question regarding this with CJ links. Apparently (with CJ anyway) you still get the commissions, it just doesnt count impressions.

dcristo, Aug 4, 2005 IP
  10. Dastar

Dastar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd be weary of using affiliate links in that fashion, particularly with CJ. If CJ sees you getting clicks/leads/making sales and not making any impressions, they'll suspend your account for review under the asumption you might be using their affiliate links in spyware. It's happened to one or 2 people I know who were posting affiliate links in their forums (just the URL).

Dastar, Aug 6, 2005 IP