1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mac vs Microsoft

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lpspider, Jul 30, 2005.

?

Microsoft/windows or Apple/mac?

1. Windows

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Mac

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
    Well?

I'm planning on getting a new laptop soon, and I'm not sure which operating system I should get. Up to now I've used widows xp, but apple computers look pretty cool and Iv'e heard they have excelent quality.

so anyway, I'm wondering what your thoughts are, espeically on apple/mac computers. Do you have one? Do you like it? etc.

Lpspider, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  2. debare

debare Peon

Best Answers:
    As a long time Macintosh user (since the fat Mac of 1984), I love them. So much so, I even worked for the mother corp for five years (just after Steve Jobs came back the second time). But to come clean, in addition to the six Macs I own and use to develop websites, there is a lone Intel PC in my stable of computers as well.

It turns out most programs work great on both platforms. I use the Macs for just about everything from content creation to developing graphics to building pages (GoLive & DreamWeaver). The PC is used for QuickBooks and World of Warcraft (altho WoW also runs on a Mac). If I was totally hard-core I could even use Virtual PC from Microsoft to run the QuickBooks, so in reality could do everything I needed on OS X.

I often get totally frustrated in Windows XP, it seems to lock up more, and I won't ever run an email program on it to avoid the multitude of viruses out there. I'm also constantly paranoid about spyware, having had to re-install XP from scratch several times to rid my PC of adware and spyware crap.

On the other hand, I never fear viruses on OS X and the Mac seems to run and run and run. I find very few things I can't do on it that force me to over to the PC.

If, however, you have lots of software and friends in the Windoze world, you may want to retain your foothold in the Microsoft camp. But if you are ready for something better, move over the Apple/Mac world. I think you will be pleasently surprised at the ease of the transition.

PS. I still use one of the first Powerbooks (laptops) that Apple built in the late 90s. It's got wireless, ethernet, DVD, firewire and never let me down yet. The new Powerbooks are even more awesome.

debare, Jul 30, 2005 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  3. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well, that was pretty convincing. Apple computers tend to have slower processors than most pc's - does it work just as good/better in speed? What about the quality?

Lpspider, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  4. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Windows= Virus headquarters.
    Mac= Sweet! There rare.

Windows= Eeeekkkkk. It's spyware.
    Mac= Sweet!! No spyware!!!

Windows= Argggggg!! Crashed for the Googol'th time.
    Mac= Maybe a kernel crash every few months, if you're 'lucky'! (For the many of you that have never got that, it's when the screen freezes with messages in a few different languages telling you to hold the power button in to restart....)

[​IMG]

:::Apple computers tend to have slower processors than most pc's

Oh no!!!!!! Apple's different in they way those numbers are made. Unless they've changed, a 500 Mhz would be the same speed as a Windows 1Ghz. Double the number of the Mac speed, and what it is if you compair the number with a Windows number.

Nintendo, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  5. LGRComp

LGRComp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got a laptop without Windows on it, yes it is possible, even HP will often sell laptops with something like Freedos. Then you take your favourite Linux distribution and install that on the laptop. But then I am a bit of a geek and I like Linux. There are some great distros out there that are quite user friendly these days. My favourite is MEPIS Linux, but I have heard good things about Knoppix and Linspire.

LGRComp, Jul 30, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  6. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Windows Vista Beta 1 is rocking this world. I know I know I am a MS geek and it's beta but man it kicks XP where it hurts. I'm even going to be developing for it soon using the new Avalon / XAML. Oh so so so sweet.

SEO Jeff, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  7. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, right now I wouldnt own a mac without decent access to a pc.

The powerbook IS the best notbook on the market IMO. Mine has been to more than 8 European cities, been dropped, filled twice over, generally abused and it is working very well still.
    Mac still has many flaws, but if you need a machine thats likely to 'work' then mac is the way forward.
    PCs have more apps and its easier to get help and support.

The key features of the powerbook that convinced me are..
    1. the screen is viewable from most angles.
    2. Light, portabl reasonable battery.
    3. OSX
    4. It Sleeps - this may seem unimportant - but there is nothing better than being able to close the screen and it sleep, open it again and it starts and THATS IT !
    5. Image editing and multiple files - I usually have 40- 50 different files open at all time. - easy switching.
    6. Its the only laptop that girls dont mind :p

Design Agent, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  8. soapbath

soapbath Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Windows.
    Apple computers are normally less powerful, less software and well.. Microsoft is not the leader just due to the fact it is owned by gates, its a great company. Apple suck. And about how Apple is safer, you have to wake up and release if everyone went to Mac then virus coders would code for Mac.

soapbath, Jul 31, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That's an excuse in advance. Very weak point.

I'm going Mac (at home) myself but probably wouldn't have if I didn't have a good Win/Linux PC as well. Also see my blog entry on the MAC Powerbook. The hardware accessories rule a lot!

T0PS3O, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  10. soapbath

soapbath Peon

Best Answers:
    Meh, maybe. I just have never had one single problem with Windows and don't see why you would want to go with mac **Okey I should really tell you that despite my views, ive never used a mac, so in turn they are not really valid**

11. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    WRONG
    Apple are less powerful ? - YEAH obviously you missed this:
    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/23/198247&tid=174&tid=3

There is NO such thing as a winbdows computer anyway. This is why windows has so many problems - it has to match thousands of hardware vendors making the task of producing a quality os much harder.

You need to qualify that statement. A 2 year old mac IS slower than a new PC for example.

And yes, video editors, graphic designers, music producers, multimedia producers all use mac because they are slower!!!!

TRUE

Nope, it is the leader due to MANY factors, read your history of how ms and mac started before you comment. Their success these days is due to good business strategy. Do you really think Bill does it all on his own do you? There are THOUSANDS of decision makers at MS.

In many ways yes it is.

Pathetic - doesnt even justify an answer

It IS.
    Tiger is based on Unix.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

Everyone DOESNT use Macs, so its a non issue. What if someone had broken your pc ? you never would have been able to post such a pointless message - lets discuss those things if they ever happen huh? :p

So, please dont assume that I am asleep because I think RIGHT NOW on the whole, mac is generally better than a pc equivelent. - The hardware and software are put together by the SAME company. This is one area that MS should have explored. IMO. You really think Im rich enough to just choose mac because I can ?

As I have a selction of PCs and Macs and have plenty of experience of windows with 3.1 upwards, not to mention many many MS apps.

MS does far more things than Mac and there are far more versions of windows.

Also, you find me a laptop that is as thin as the powerbook, as stable and as fast with as many functions or anything even remotely close to the features of OSX
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I am NOT mac biased I never liked OS Classic, or the old Imacs, etc. So I never bought one. I deteste the Ipod and the shuffle, mac mini i have an open mind still ;) I take a MS Windows Pocket PC any day.

The powerbook (1.5 yrs so far) I use has never had:
    The blue screen of death
    Required a restart due to crashing
    Had a virus
    Needed the OS reinstalled
    Had driver incompatabilities
    Needed apps reinstalled
    Compatability issues between MS products and windows.

In the end, both macs and PCs have their place. It depends on what you need them for.

But I wont even mention: innovation, aesthetics, pratical design,

The real question is:

Do YOU own a Mac ?

T0PS3O likes this.
  12. soapbath

soapbath Peon

Best Answers:
    Well ive been owned :(. Im the type of person who will hate something for nothing reason.. erm for example I hate Google... oh wait.. I hate anything with more money than me. Okey though, your most likey right.

13. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    ha, its ok, I used to have similar thoughts when people 'mac'd' me..

But actually, they just are good. I guess since steve jobs is back (pixar is another one of his little 'creations'). Cost alot though a new screen is £600 for a powerbook - which IS unacceptable.

14. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    The last time I used a Mac was with Mac OS 9.2 I think and the thing would keep locking up with just Photoshop and IE running. The systems needed more ram BUT still it should of not locked the whole operating system up where I had to do a warm boot. Like with Windows if an application locks up the whole OS does not lock up.

The reason Mac OS 9 sucked soooo much was because of the above and that is the lacking of Multitasking features where's Windows 95 even had that. I hope OSX has Multitasking or else they just are not as good as Microsoft.

SEO Jeff, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  15. Lpspider

Best Answers:
    hmm...I love apple in general - I have an ipod and I love all their designs. I'm just iffy about the operating system. If I get one it would have to be the ibook though and not a powerbook. :(

Lpspider, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  16. JCDev

JCDev Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like Steve Jobs therefore i don't like Apple... Maybe when Steve leaves I'll get a Mac. I also see Mac users as snobbish and unfriendly. Sorry, it had to be said.

JCDev, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  17. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    LOL, talking about prejudice and preconceptions. Great point mate!

T0PS3O, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  18. Lpspider

Best Answers:
    Say I got an ibook and didn't like the operating system - it would be possible to load windows xp onto it right? Sure, it'd be sorta wierd on an apple computer, but it would work, right?

Lpspider, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  19. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can use 'virtual pc' and ruin your mac all you want. j/k. It was an important one for me too.. can I use it as a pc? then I never did bother doing it - wasnt needed. Takes a few weeks to adjust, but after that it is far more intuitive.

20. voltaire

voltaire Banned

Best Answers:
    anyway, all has been said.. and it boils down to one thing.. it's subjective.. we choose what we wnat and what works best for us. i love apple.

voltaire, Jul 31, 2005 IP