1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Page Rank really have anything to do with Links?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by jg123, Jul 29, 2005.

www.imagetrunk.info shows only 5 references on my link popularity tool but has a PR of 4

Does that make sense?

thanks

jg123, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    To my knowledge, Google PageRank has everything to do with links.

From your post it appears that you might be under the impression that "many" backlinks would be required to see a PR4 in the Google Toolbar. I do not believe that is the case. ;)

ResaleBroker, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  3. explorer

explorer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. PR depends only on the PR of the linking page or pages.

Any site could get a PR10 with ONE link - from the front page of google.com for example.

I don't think G's selling any links this week though. ;)

PR is also diluted by the number of links on the linking page. If Google put 1,000 links on their homepage, then the linked to pages might get around PR6 or so.

explorer, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  4. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    i remember reading from compar?'s site that one pr 10 link conferred a pr 8...but I could be mistaken and I'm being petty. :)

One link can make you a pr4, easily.

david_sakh, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  5. bryanong

bryanong Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, one or 2 links with perhaps a pr 6 or 5 will give you a pr4 or 3..it is still mostly with links

bryanong, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  6. explorer

explorer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi David,

The more links on the page, the more the PR is diluted.

If a PR10 page had just one link on it, the page linked to would almost certainly get PR10.

Compar's PR10 conferring PR8 assumes a more typical situation in which there are several links on the PR10 page. :)

explorer, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  7. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In the classic PageRank paradigm, it is all about links. However, there are other PR variants, even keyword dependent. In the classic one, a random surfer is said to click on a link on a page with equal probability. In personalized PRs for example, a page may not distribute its PR to all the its outgoing links equally. PR distribution may be biased on content - example: a page on topic X, has 20 links, and 5 of those seem to be very related to topic X, and the rest not (based on some algorithm). In this case, PR can be biased and the 5 links can get the most of the pages PR.

See, PR has endless variants. It can even be combined with HITS techniques. PR is not dead. It is just not the classic one we see on the toolbar.

nohaber, Jul 30, 2005 IP
    ResaleBroker likes this.
  8. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Have written an article about pagerank here: http://www.webmarketweek.com/article/41.php

I would suggest if you want to keep the pr4 (or get a higher pr) to the website in the next google toolbar update that you gain lots of links to your site.

WhatiFind, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  9. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    my homepage has 200 odd links as is only a pr4, my boys forum has a handfull of links and is pr5 so yes it is about links, but it isnt about the quantity of links its about the quality of them.

just-4-teens, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  10. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The maximum value of pagerank that can be 'given' from a page is 85% of its worth. Based on this a PR10 page can give PR8.5 out from it to pages it links to. It doesn't have to give it though as the lgorithm is very complicated.

Rule of thumb though would be that a PR10 page with 10 outgoing links on it (including links to pages within its own site of course) would likely give around PR0.85 to each link.

That said Google have said that PR flows 'more freely' to links within a domain. Take from that phrase what you will, but my guess is that there is some sort of further dampening effect on PR flowing out of a domain, while internally it flows without restriction.

This is why the internal navigation structure of a website is crucial to distribute page rank within your site (not that PR means much these days apart from when trying to get links).

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 30, 2005 IP
    ROAR likes this.
  11. eynjeluz

eynjeluz Peon

Best Answers:
    just a quick question my site is PR3 right now.... is that good or bad? and is PR1 better than PR10?....

eynjeluz, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  12. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

PR3 is beter than a PR1 or PR2. A PR3 is pretty easy to obtain with a minimal amount of backlinks. With proper backlink building from relevant sites (sites that relate to what your site is about) you should be able to get a PR4 or PR5. A PR6 and higher are much harder to obtain. PR10 is the highest, and almost impossible to obtain. You need to concentrate of building backlinks, hopefully from higher PR sites.

mjewel, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  13. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    PR doesn't have anything to do with links.

I did an in depth study of PR with the help of a DP memeber last year. We cracked the code and have been riding high ever since:D

GuyFromChicago, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  14. rj87uk

rj87uk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you being serious? That just sound plain... insane.

PR is directly related in bound links. The more higher page rank links you get the higher page rank your site will gain. Its that simple.

RJ

rj87uk, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  15. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    click the topic :D he wasn't serious.

david_sakh, Jul 30, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  16. rj87uk

rj87uk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeh, I ended up here, http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=4104

I guess just the way he said it.... lol

rj87uk, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe, this thread reminded me of that old thread...too funny:D

GuyFromChicago, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  18. Sandwalker

Sandwalker Peon

Best Answers:

LOL - made me laugh. Stomping your feet may help as well, can anyone disprove that? ;)

Sandwalker, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  19. Sandwalker

Sandwalker Peon

Best Answers:

Good post...

People always refer to the .85 figure, but the thing is that is calculated from the TRUE PR of a page, not the number you see. So .85 X 6.1 vs. 6.9 will give very different results.

Navigation is key in distributing PR internally. I have done experiments on PR transfer and because of the true pr factor, it varies greatly. One PR6 site with only 1 outgoing link to a new site with no other links, received PR6. A PR7 with 15 links on it has created several new PR6 sites.

Sandwalker, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  20. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Pagerank comes from links and its really like a tunnel the way its spread thru the links.

City2, Jul 31, 2005 IP