1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Copying contents from another site.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Minterest, Mar 18, 2007.

Hello,

I am aware that Search Engines penalyse the site if it contains contents from another site. But what if we copy contents from another site and gave a link back to the original site or to original article's page. Will that also affect the ranking?

Minterest, Mar 18, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  2. BrentH

BrentH Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes.

It's OK to (for example) quote an excerpt from an article in a blog post - and add your own commentary... because this creates unique content (which Google likes / wants / thrives on).

But copying something off another person's site adds no unique value to your site, or a users experience visiting your site. After all, why would someone visit your site if they could get the information directly from the person who wrote it in the first place?
    As a result, Google isn't going to rank you highly for this particular information - and *may* penalise your site (although there are duplicate content examples that I know of which seem to have escaped penalty).

Rule of thumb:
    Feed the spider. Create unique content.

BrentH, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  3. Minterest

Minterest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Say If my theme is webmasters.. then users should come to my site for webmaster resourses which i collect from various site.. and will provide a link back also.. so that there is no need for them to visti all those individual sites to get the content. I will copy contents which i find useful for webmasters.

If am writing about adsense then I will collect resourses from all over the net and may add my points to that also. and will include the original source.

4. SallyDP

SallyDP Peon

Best Answers:
    I would be careful, but maybe your ideas will work.

SallyDP, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  5. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Let's See.. I will give FREE Domains and Web Hosting to my registered members of the blog and will ask for a link back in return. So as to drive traffic initially and also for back links. :)

6. CraigslistGuy

CraigslistGuy Banned

Best Answers:
    It may be still risky. They may use the aging factor to determine who owns the content and apply penalty. If its a small text, fine;but large blocks may be serious.

CraigslistGuy, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  7. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be monitring this thread --as I too have similiar question in my mind! Very interesting indeed. I usually write short contents myself--but sometimes when I am short of time I collect contents basically from a site. I always cite the original source but not always give back links. I think I should always give back links.

jhnrang, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  8. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Hey as I told you the search engines will know that am using some other sites articles as I will give a link back to the original page....

But by the way what is aging factor??? Also tell me... if I copy some content from a site which is not indexed by Google then will google consider it as my content if its indexed from my site (in that case i dont give backlinks)?

9. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have had certain pages that had alot of stuff from wiki get removed from googles index.

ninjashoes, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  10. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Did you gave backlinks to original articles at Wiki for those stuffs?

11. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    I suggest that it's better to create your own content to optimize it with your targeted keywords.

Janna122003, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  12. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Yes right now am thinking about that too.. to hire someone to write articles.. I dont have time to write articles myself.

Minterest, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  13. ron21

ron21 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i think it will affect your ranking to still copy it even if you make a link.

CARS * AUTOMOBILES

ron21, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  14. boyponga

boyponga Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, because if you copy contents from the other site, the tendency is your site will be on "Supplemental result", putting your site below SERP rankings.

boyponga, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  15. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Okay what if I read the same article from one site and then rewrite that again in my own style.. including the contents from all the sites. Will that improve my ranking?

16. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    When rewriting your own stuff it has to be original. Just rewording a few things here and there does not count. Google can spot sentence fragments that are the same as fragments seen on other pages.

axemedia, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  17. MarcRoman

MarcRoman Peon

Best Answers:
    The tough part is how much is too much, and that's just not something we might ever figure out. I see lots of guessing about what Google throws out and what it doesn't. But, because we all see odd behavior, there is no hard and fast rule that we can use. Sucks doesn't it?

M

MarcRoman, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  18. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Say if I read an article about How to Improve the CTR of adsense.. then what I do is to read all those stuffs and then rewrite in my own style... using resourses from other sites too which is about the same thing..

The Idea is that am writing about my interests so I get knowledge from other sites and will add that to my own site with comments for my visitors...

Also tell me which way should I go... write 10 articles weekly or one article per day?

19. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Using other sites as research is fine.

Read a bunch of pages on the topic then create an outline of what you want to say. Then fill it in with all your own words.

Don't start with pasting someone else's article into your word processor then going through it and trying to reword some things here and there. This does not cut it. The flow of the article will still be identical and many words will appear in the same order.

I know. When I was a noob I did it this way, thinking it was fine and was different enough. Well it's not. It may very well pass as not being plagiarism but to a computer program that simply tries to spot word patterns, it can still get picked up by duplicate content filters.

These types of reworded pages do not get good search rankings and can often end up in the Supplemental Index.

Original means original. Not a remix of someone else's work. This is not the rap music industry.

axemedia, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  20. Minterest

Best Answers:
    So if I write original content then will I get higher ranking on the topic???