1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Many Out Going Links Should One Page have?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Davey Crocket, Jul 28, 2005.

I have a website which has a links.htm page.... This page currently has around 33 websites as hyperlinks. These are all fairley New websites which I own and hyper linked them in order to get them indexed.

Is this too many links per page? I have heard you don't want to have more than 15 links per page. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    -Dave

Davey Crocket, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the number is between 80 to 100...

NewComputer, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  3. H-Man

H-Man Peon

Best Answers:
    Rename the page. You don't want the page to have the work links in it.

H-Man, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Google's advice is no more than 100 but if the page is set up to try to transfer PR to other pages that is way too many. Just remember that the value of the PR that can be "passed on" is the PR of the original page -- and that value is divided among all the outgoing links. So if your starting page is PR 4 and you have 10 outgoing links, you can think of it as each outgoing link carrying a value of PR 0.4.

minstrel, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's 85% 4/10 of a PR 4, which means you would need about 12 of those to get a PR4.

mjewel, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  6. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AHH - you just declared they are all in your network.. this may sandbox them. Would have been a better idea to announce them via a blog which you send links to to get listed and get links from elsewhere to the blog.

Links per page: generally most comments I've hear no this tend to suggest you should keep it under 100 (internal or external links).

Dominic, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  7. bryanong

bryanong Peon

Best Answers:
    100 is the maximum you can have

bryanong, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  8. rj87uk

rj87uk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just reading over this thread and ive noticed that most posts are only 'thoughts' and 'thinks'.

RE: AHH - you just declared they are all in your network.. this may sandbox them.
    Trust me that wont sandbox them for sure, The sandbox comes into play regardless of how many links a website has. The Sandbox is a messure of time new sites get put in after a while you get out. Ive not kept up to date with this - Do Google still use the sandbox? (Ive not made a new site in a while)

RE: 100 is the maximum you can have
    Again Google states this as a guideline however if you have many inbound links to a site then all of these would get spidered but 100 links on one page isnt practical. :)

RE: Rename the page. You don't want the page to have the work links in it.
    I dont agree. Do you have solid proof that this is true? I know mean .edu sites and other highly ranked websites that use links as the links page name.

RE: Davey Crocket
    If all your websites are related and they are of use to your readers then yes, but my advice is dont do it. Get linsk from many different directories, blogs and related websites. Start a base of 25 linsk for each website then leave for a few months then go back and get more links from different places. Again avoid interlinking between your websites if one falls they all might.

I hope this helps you.

RJ

rj87uk, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  9. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is all I thinks because no one knows for sure...

NewComputer, Jul 29, 2005 IP
    debunked likes this.
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have sitemaps with hundreds of links on them:
    http://www.onlinediscountmart.com/ind2.html

My only goal has been to keep the page under 100k. Limiting # of links, especially on a sitemap page (in particular an ecommerce site) is unreasonable.

lorien1973, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  11. rj87uk

rj87uk Active Member

Best Answers:
    If people talk more from experience then it would be easier to find out instead of reading the guidelines :)

In your case its solid advice to say dont do it.

RJ

rj87uk, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think the original question was less abput what is the maximum number of links a page should contain and more about what is the practical limit for a page which is about providing reciprocal links to other websites/pages.

Assuming that's correct, the practical limit is a lot lower than 100 links and, as has been pointed out, is a function of the PR of the original page that contains the links.

I also don't believe the issue about pages being named links.htm(l) -- I think it's another Google myth (and there are a LOT of Google myths).

minstrel, Jul 29, 2005 IP