1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Freelancing Payments Stuck! What to do?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by pratik, Mar 17, 2007.

hey all...

Well its been a terrible week... !

Okie its like I have been working on 3-4 design projects this week. I work for an IT company as a designer. And work from home as a freelance designer at night. Many members from DP have contacted me for design works...

But now it is going bit weird. Lately I have received design work from members you needed it urgently. I designed some stuffs brochures, web site templates, etc. for them on urgent basis. Once i mailed them the designs they said its great and they have forwarded the same to there client for approval. Then they just go blank for days, and then they come up again and ask for design changes, which inturn changes the complete original design.... :(

I kept on doing the changes for them, but then one day one guy came up and said the client didn't liked the design at all so they deal is off. All my weeks hard work is gone... also no payments.. :(

Many other members message you now and then to get the work done.. but once the work is over they just vanish.

Is there any suggestion hoe to deal with such kinds of clients. Who just need the work done and run off when it comes to paying... !!!

pratik, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    Alis likes this.
  2. maonnie

maonnie Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried getting a deposit before starting the work? I'm new to DP so I'm not sure how it works around here, but I personally wouldn't start anything for someone I didn't already know unless I've got 50% or so up front, or, I'd use a freelancing site that requires the buyer to escrow the funds before I start work.

P.S., This is my first post so feel free to ignore me ;)

maonnie, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  3. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you work on escrow basis.. and have clear terms before you start the work
    Second option is 50% advance as "maonnie" pointed out + you also watermark your designs before you give it to the client for final verdict.

max pain, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    onedollar likes this.
  4. secgeek

secgeek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    try to get some money in advance bedore u deliver anything.same was happned to me also.

secgeek, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  5. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    Work via escrow site, make all details and what you'll produce and how much revisions allowed. So put everything in write in your bid with client. Then he will pay you 100% in escrow or parts of it (as you dealed, don't know). If he dissapeared and will not show at all you will get your money back if you did the job (or percantage you did).

SEOLinker, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  6. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hmm.. thanks everyone for your suggestions... and maonnie welcome to DP. Its a nice first post you have made.

Also from next time onwards, i will do the same... or should I make a format where in the client has to fill in the details and i will also fill in the details from my end... this would be used for members directly contacting me on messengers... / forums.. etc...

pratik, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  7. Alis

Alis Peon

Best Answers:
    Pratik ,

You know me and I know you Im one of your customers , we had a situation with the outsourcing job but the customer had a situation in buying the the work. Im very proud to work with you and you know me im not interested in the money im mostly interested in what the job is done in what quallity. You are doing great work . In my job situations i allways think both sides the worker and the job giver not allways does the job giver wins doesnt they ?

In a solution what i do you know im also a designer but what i do is taking commisions even before creating a draft or sketch . In the money side i dont care much i give much more money then promised you know that from me.

The case is that what customers react in what ways. This a situation covering all the world.

In my suggestion ;

You should work with not many people but with decent people who have worked with you and gave what you deserved and these people would be delighted to work again the problem is that you should act different with new and old customers new customers should pre pay a deposit old ones should not ofcourse we dont know who is who so in advice take a samll pre-fee before getting jobs done. And dont forget to watermark :p

Good luck your friend Alis

Alis, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    pratik likes this.
  8. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Well yes, i can understand your problem very well. So remember the following things when you work for some guy

1. If the guy is a active member at DP with lot of posts and iTraders, then you can work for him, because he wont scam you since he will have a fear for his reputation.

2. If some stranger catches you who is not known well on forums or anywhere and want any work for you, then ask for 100% upfront payment or dont do the work at all.

3. Dont trust anyone on the internet.

4. Make use of escrow for larger deals which are above 500$.

regards
    aditya

EDIT : - IT will be certainly great if you disclose who the guy is so that, we could be careful in future

aditya_sfs, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    KC TAN likes this.
  9. sizzler_chetan

sizzler_chetan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Oh Sad for you Pratik!! :eek:

We too can understand ur problem, and i would suggest you to work on with clients basing upon their reputation and trader rating if your dealing with members of this forum.
    This might help to a small extent.

sizzler_chetan, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    KC TAN likes this.
  10. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is really sad. Some of these guys are saying the work is not satisfactory to avoid payment. That's sick.

qwestcommunications, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  11. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't work without escrow or upfront payment it's simple

w3bmaster, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    pratik, SEOLinker and KC TAN like this.
  12. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I usually work with 50% payment upfront or lesser depending on the iTrader in a forum environment. Treat it as a valuable lesson learnt :)

KC TAN, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    pratik likes this.
  13. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks a lot again guys...

and yes i will surely take this as a lesson. Would charge 50% in advance which would be refundable, in case the need arises.. :)

anyways, still waiting for my previous dues, from some DP members here ... :(

pratik, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  14. npennington

npennington Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Using some kind of an escrow will definately help you with many of these problems. Of course, nothing is 100% perfect, but definately try using escrow.

npennington, Mar 18, 2007 IP