1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1&1 domain registration $5.99... what's the catch?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by daniellee, Mar 17, 2007.

Is there any catch with their $5.99 registration such as higher price for subsequent years...and so on?

If they're genuinely cheap, why don't you guys all use 1$1 instead of namecheap, etc? :confused:

Thanks for the answer!

daniellee, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  2. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    -higher price for subsequent years
    -they hope to sell other services (hosting) to people who buy domains at $5.99
    -poor service
    -probably not easy to transfer domains out of 1&1

muchacho, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  3. daniellee

daniellee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks!
    any idea how much higher for subsequent years?

4. heinz

heinz Peon

Best Answers:
    I am using 1&1 since many years. They claim to be one of the biggest host in Europe. Good tools! Haven't found any catch so far. It is possible to transfer domains out of 1&1. There is a hotline that is readily available, but sometimes they are not very knowledgable and it costs extra to call them.

heinz, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  5. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, for me, I just go with someone I am comfortable using. 1and1 website seems very slow for me and the last time I contacted them for pre-sale, they took several days before getting back with an answer which did not answer the question ;)

They also seems to be quite secretive about price of the domain name renewal after the first year. I just cannot find the prices at all.

And I tried to go through their order system, it seems that they do not allow you to continue if you do not opt for one of their add-ons or either that their continue button is taking forever to show up.

eddy2099, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  6. daniellee

daniellee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input!

How do you guys compare NameCheap and GoDaddy?

7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I used both GoDaddy and Namecheap. It was actually a good experience with GoDaddy until I found out that they do not want to trade with my country, Singapore so I had to move my domain name out. That's when I went ahead and move to namecheap.

Namecheap is easy to work with and there were a couple of hiccups when my domain name did not show up during a transfer but a quick mail to them got it resolved. I am happy with them enough to consolidate all my domain names at Namecheap so as with others.

If you are looking for prices, GoDaddy does provide you with better pricing especially if you register long term. With Namecheap, whether you register 1 year or 10 years, it is still the same price.

eddy2099, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  8. megamoose

megamoose Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use GoDaddy and honestly wouldn't even consider going anywhere else simply because their price is cheaper. I think $9 for a domain is extremly cheap and GoDaddy have never let me down with service.

1and1 I keep hearing great and also bad things about so I jus tdon't think I'd invest in any of their services. (but then again some people say GoDaddy are terrible aswell but I disagree :))

I think if you are really kean on the offer register a domain that isn't very important to yuo, but COULD make a little site for you, and just practise with their services until you're happy in a decision of to use them or not :)

Mark

megamoose, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  9. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy don't accept the payment from unverified paypal accounts,NameCheap do!

Richie_Ni, Mar 17, 2007 IP