1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is buying safe on Digital Point? hmm, maybe not

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Laceygirl, Mar 16, 2007.

I was thinking. As I look around at the websites for sale I notice that a lot of people hide the info you need to see before buying anything?

But the question is why? And why doesn't Digital point make it so that people are obligated to add that info or it'll be locked?

It doesn't really make any sense to me.

I've seen many topics where they said something like this:

"the site made $832.03 in feb, and in march it made $922"
    "Pm me for the screenshot proof."

To me that says one thing. He photoshopped it and its false and he doesn't want to show the world in case someone catches it. Basically it's a total ripoff. What other reason can their be? He already said the price.

So, there's a bunch of cons on digital point and some people are ripped off. Who knows...maybe even the buyer isn't smart enough to know how much he was ripped off.

This goes for pm deals that are brought back to the topic. That shouldn't be allowed because half of the time it's a total lie.

So now to the big question.

Why doesn't digital point have a moderator dedicated to controling that area to make sure that the information is given in the topics?

Laceygirl, Mar 16, 2007 IP
    SEOLinker likes this.
  2. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Why are there softwares like photoshop.

And to the members, its up to you with whom you go or whom you dont.

Its better to go for escrow for digital products

inworx, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  3. scart3r

scart3r Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, to design stuff with....

As far as trusting people - you just need to use common sense.

scart3r, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  4. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You always get scammers wherever there's a large amount of people together - DP, I'm sorry to say, is no different. What you need to do is look at their post count, length of membership, rep and iTrader and make an informed decision before dealing with them on here. If you're parting with the cash the risk is yours, so weigh up the evidence carefully.

CountryBoy, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  5. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's not safe to buy at Ebay that is specialized in that, why should it be here?
    It's a webmaster forum, you have to be carefull and do all you can to avoid being scammed...

Jarodboy, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  6. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always look at their background. Check their posts, rep, iTrader thats why they are there.

- Prilep :D

prilep, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  7. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I realize there's ways to secure a buy by doing a checking out of the person but that doesn't really answer my main question.

Why are people "allowed" to hide info when it just shows a shady deal?

Laceygirl, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  8. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    it does when you think of how deliberately leaving out details forces people to ask more questions, thereby 'naturally' bumping their sales thread.

because this is a webmaster forum. someone once suggested that DP run a clothes distribution store because that's the right thing to do.

devin, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  9. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its not safe to buy stuff here, but it is fairly safe. People get ripped of all the time here, but the ones that are experienced in buying do not get ripped of very easily. If you are in doubt about something you can always find an experienced user online and PM him/her and ask them what they think about it. Its ok to ask others.

login, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  10. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Smyrl, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  11. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I forgot this one.

RULE NO 1: If the offer looks to good, it is to good, ALWAYS!!!

login, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  12. lazyleo

lazyleo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep i rarely contact people who hide so much, sending pm's to eevrybody etc. But there are expections for expample in betwoeen i was doing link exchanges for a .edu name and i did not post the url since i did not want it to be indxed by the search engines. also i wanted to keep the number of exchanges to a minimum. so i had to use pm to tell everyone.

But Topics like EARN $999 in 1 month with screenshots PM me for more info! threads are crap and we should save some people here at DP who fall for it...recent example is a high PR for sale here for $15? he was selling 15 spots..so that makes aorund @225 for a site which dosnt have valid PR i am sure many fell for it..

lazyleo, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  13. Bender

Bender Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just commenting about this "screenshot proof" thing myself a few days back. I mean how is that a proof?!! Posting screnshots of your Paypal account???

First of all, images can be easily altered via photoshop or any other decent graphic editing program.

And secondly, how do you even know that it's his/her account's screenshots? I know people how make 100k monthly transactions so, theoretically nothing prevents me from asking them for their account's screenshots instead of using my own.

Bottom line: Screeshot "proofs" mean nothing. If you're going to make a big purchase, ask for an escrow service or simply deal with people you know.

Bender, Mar 17, 2007 IP
    saadahmed007 likes this.
  14. swiftmed

swiftmed Peon

Best Answers:
    I have done a lot of deals with people on DP and never had a problem, I just use common sense, and make sure I have some leverage in the deal.

swiftmed, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you volunteering to fully investigate the validity of everything posted in that section? There's about 700 unique threads per day started in that section, a full investigation into the validity of each offer probably would take a minimum of a few hours per offer.

digitalpoint, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  16. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your real patient you can just wait for Tekime to sell another site. :D
    He's the best seller I've ever delt with here at DP.
    ~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~
    General solution:

• 'Buyer beware' is correct
    • IMO, Why would anyone sell a legit site for only 10x (or even 20x) income???

Answers:

1. They wouldn't, so you are probably getting ripped.
    2. Possibly it's a great deal, since the seller needs money.

There are some good sellers here.
      Best of luck.

gemini181, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  17. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It does not need a full investigation on every deal. What it does need is a manditory rule in the selling site area.

This manitory rule would be that you cannot mask your url, traffic stats, or profit stats with the intention to only provide it in PM.

if a person doesn't have certian stats to give then it's fine. It's just the matter of trying to keep it hidden(only pm) is not allowed.

So obviously just mods that go in and check to see if the topic creator is doing this. If so, than they close the topic(or take the measure style of the way you like it to be modding, not too mean, though). From the looks of this place, I'm sure you don't have a difficulty finding dedicated people to help the place. With this you have people selling sites to each other and digital point involvment on a fair deal(no much, but at least something).

Here's another interesting idea:

I wish DP has an aprasial system where you can pay5% of the total cost of a site. DP would be getting that amount for securing the sale. Basically they take a look at it and let you know if it's a total ripoff, overpriced, missing important information you'd need, legal, etc.
    (this would be an amazing service for people whom are new to working with websites).

There you have it

18. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DP would get into so much controversy by doing that. Its not possible really. And sites sell for $50, do you think mr.digitalpoint above here would do that work for $2.50 ?

login, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  19. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    <rant>

Bottom line: you and you alone are responsible for business transactions you conduct as a result of reading an offer on the forum. Quit looking for some one you can blame if a deal you participate in goes sour.

If you answer an ad in the local newspaper and the deal goes sour, do you expect the newspaper to act on your behalf? Remove the ad because you claim you got burned? Ban the person from placing ads in the future? It's not their responsibility.

The forum owners are not responsible for the out come of any transaction. Your suggestion tells me that you're just looking for some one to cover your ass or to place the blame on of a deal you participate in goes sour.

If some one does not provide the info you feel comfortable with to evaluate the validity of the offer, don't participate. When because someone doesn't disclose something publicly it's not necessarily an indication that he has something to hide. I prefer that some information is not disclosed for transactions I participate in., one being the url. The majority of the transactions I engage in are completely private and that's my preference.

Step up, take responsibility for yourself. If you get burned, blame yourself. Report it to the proper authorities if you feel it's warranted or puruse it in the proper venue. It's not DP's responsibility.

</rant>

CReed, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  20. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With 1 mod handling 50 of them a day I'd think it's worth it. At least for his premium for doing it. Besides, a simple additional rule on this service can control the minimum of the deal to make it worth it.

It's not about responsibility and it's not about blame. It's about taking care of your business(DP). It's about making things a lot smoother. Setting up a system to make things be less ilegal. And you have a problem with that?
    So you are saying that there shouldn't be something to leer away people who rip off other people.

You just basically told me this right there.

I've never been ripped off here before. Actually I've never really made much of a deal around here before because I like to stay with one project for a longtime for learning purposes. I didn't create this topic of conversation because I'm mad about some buy. It's just I see a flaw with digital Point and I wonder if there's a way we can it better.

What's wrong with making the site more secure?

Anyone got problems with that?