1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long to wait before resubmission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Ephemeral, Mar 7, 2007.

I submitted my web site 2 weeks ago, and I'm confident it won't be accepted on the grounds that there are alot of similar websites. How long (in months) should I wait before resubmission? (I am planning on redesigning my website)

I know they don't like receiving the same submission twice, but like after a year is it safe to resubmit?

Ephemeral, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    According to the submission guidelines you should submit once and that is that. Unofficially I've seen editors (over at RZ) say wait 6 months & retry...but no more after that. I've also seen them say if you submitted before october of last year, that it should be OK to try again now, as much was lost in the crash.

Though, it's likely a good idea to read the submission guidelines, as well as the basic editor rules, as following both should increase your chances of inclusion.

Best of luck!
    Q

Qryztufre, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  3. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay thanks. What crash are you referring to?

Ephemeral, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    The one from late last year...like mid October I think. Anything between then & now is suspect. You'll need to search for more information, because I don't really know the specifics (off hand).

5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre, the opposite is closer to the truth. Anything submitted since October 2006 should be fine. Earlier submissions are still in the process of being recovered. As far as I know we have no status on those other than recovery is ongoing. :)

compostannie, Mar 7, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    That is strange, as that is almost what I meant to say... well, *ponders* no, I guess that's not what I meant. But thank you for clarifying... and to anyone that read my post before Annie corrected me, sorry for the confusion.

It must have been a long day, while it was broke, you could not submit...and it was anything before that which may be lost *sigh* Thanks again for the clarification Annie! (I'd say REPPED but, heh, I give grey pips)
    Q

7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Submissions from last October have come through and sites submitted since the system came back up are coming through. It's the older stuff that they're still working on, and having some success from what I see. ;)

compostannie, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  8. nONEq

nONEq Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have submitted my several sites for several times before last October and now, but none of them was approved. My waiting for a next submission was 4 weeks then.

nONEq, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  9. mpp

mpp Peon

Best Answers:
    it seems that they have really strict guidelines or pretty lazy editors :)

mpp, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I vote pretty lazy editors. I've only done 106,277 edits since I've been an editor, at this rate it will take decades to reach a million. :eek:

compostannie, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You guys don't get paid, so personally I'd not call any of you lazy...unless maybe you are just an editor to brag about it. *shrug* I'd be more inclined to call an editor biased or something...but then, I don't know that for sure either...especially since I've only submitted to one category (a week before the crash, I seemingly know nothing about ;) )

For the better part it seems you guys do a pretty good job...a little room for improvement, but pretty good :)

One thing I do think that could really help would be for more people to apply (as editor) rather then complain...as I know you could be in there approving someone's site rather then here defending yourself *smirk*
    Q

Qryztufre, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  12. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    I bet they get absolutely tons of applications from wanna be editors. Let the hype die it's death once and for all.

oops, nearly forgot why I posted here in the first place! I've re-applied for a website to be included in dmoz about 7 times in the last 12 months due to obviously not having the patience to read the guidelines properly. But when I heard no reply and saw no result , I did my research and found tips to make it, hopefully, a more successful application and re-adjusted the website accordingly (small things) , then re-applied to a more relevant category (which I think was my biggest hiccup).

If I'm to believe everything I've read as of late, my website is never going to be accepted because I made some noob mistakes and have over applied whilst bending myself ass over tit to comply.

I think that's damned unfair after I went to all the trouble of making my site compliable and then re-applying to ever more relevant categories. OH and btw I did apply once only to find a more relevant category had been invented in the meantime!

There's a massive flaw in dmoz's whole bogus "ethical" strategy if you ask me. I'm now penalised because like every other normal human being, I made a mistake by applying to the wrong category! and then tried to rectify the issue!Excuse me! So what if they're volunteers? Just because dmoz is run by volunteers, does not mean they have a valid excuse not to deal with the workload every bit as professionally as any other company.

You know - in the UK, the police force has a volunteer unit. They are the most arrogant, more than your job's worth power trippers on the streets.

Simply shouldn't be allowed.

Sorry about going on, but... anyway, my Dad has a website listed in dmoz twice, the website design sucks so bad you just wouldn't believe! Sure the content is originalish (as original as anything can be these days) but it's still just a site selling stuff. You know, he's never had one hit off dmoz in the last 2 years.

I'm not complaining, but what's the big deal?

Scuse me chaps n chapesses but I have to add yet another point.

Is it a complete joke? The big DMOZ listing joke? The biggest joke in internet history!

Google's a big fat hypocrite - they let everyone believe they hold dmoz in blardy blar regard because of their ethically based inclusions?? & therehence invent and patent a dumb algo-shitehype-rythm to deduce... what exactly? Google played a damn large part in turning the entire intranet into the money making spinner it can be for webmasters. And they are the masters - puppet masters in fact.

It's a market place they helped evolve to this level ! How can they dare to allow everyone still believe that their mysterious patented algorithm (precise set of rules) still has anything to do with dmoz listings? And how exceptionally illogical it was to have attempted to solve serious mathematical queries on a bunch of random human volunteers website acceptations, in the first place was :confused: Rubbish idea!

About time webmasters, developers and noobs turned their back on the damn place.

Eskarina, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  13. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Turn back on what ? Its not Dmoz that has a bad name its the crappy eMetas eEditors that deserve to be removed cause they just sit there and do absolutely nothing and grow old and fat sitting on the same spot and trying to find out who is doing what instead of trying to get some sites approved or removed and clear the gawd damn queue of backlogs, editors like annie should become metas and they hire new editors to help out dmoz instead of other eEditors that are good for nothing, its not that dmoz is bad its the people who are involved and care not about dmoz but about their self ego. One day hopefully(well i do not give damn if that day comes or not) that all the self-centered editors will be dead (well everyone dies right , hell even i will die one day ).

Cheers

paidhosting, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Eskarina don't be shy. Please tell us how you really feel. ROFLMAO

It takes more than what you said you did to get your site banned from dmoz, just so you know.

Although your dad's sucky website design isn't what you might like to see listed, it's the content that counts. Just curious, if your dad's site sucks so much why don't you be a nice guy and help him with it? :)

compostannie, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  15. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    LOL I can be shy at times? :p

Well, I don't know that my site was so much as banned - it never got there to start with, I added an address and then re-submitted to what I considered more relevant categories but I had trouble making my mind up over which ones (there were too many)... so came the multiple applications. So yeah, I just discovered that it will never get in because I re-submitted too many times in a certain timeframe :rolleyes: but I don't care anymore - I feel much better about the whole saga now that I've made my feelings known :eek:

My Dad's website was actually offline for nearly a year while they were developing the business site (building with bricks n mortar not html etc.) and it was still in dmoz when they got it back up! And it isn't a huge category so I'm surprised it wasn't noticed and removed.

Should I help my father re-do the offensive design? Have you met my Dad? He's always right and we're always wrong, I wouldn't even waste my breath ;) Plus a friend of his was paid to make it, so he wouldn't want to offend him. It was his friend who got the site in dmoz twice so .... maybe he's a dmoz editor with really bad taste LOL

Eskarina, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  16. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree and yes, everybody does kick the bucket eventually :D

Eskarina, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    How did you discover this? Do you know for sure? Did someone who could check tell you?

If you don't know and you're just guessing I can take a look for you if you tell me the site and at least one of the categories. If you know all the categories I can go in and remove the extra submissions so only the proper one is left.

compostannie, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  18. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    :eek: Just guess work based on having read so many articles on the web warning people not to re-submit for at least a decade lol (yeah a bit of exaggerration on my part)

Thankyou very much for the offer but I kinda lost track :( I was a bit confused by the number of categories I had to choose from in the end as my site could have suited several :confused: I'll go back to dmoz and see if it jogs my memory! I could pm you the url of my website but I don't suppose that would help you find it in the records?

Eskarina, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  19. trocobob

trocobob Banned

Best Answers:
    i have submied my site ling ago and nothing happened .they dont even send a disprovation mail :(

trocobob, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard some evil fat dude is spreading gossip around... :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Mar 10, 2007 IP