1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My 2006 AdSense Summary - From $10/Week to $800/Week

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Burta, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Opps - Sorry about that. Yeah Drupals definitely has a lot of fans out there and for good reason!

That's great to hear - let me know how they work for you.

No problem - it was my pleasure.

Burta, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    rupertValentino likes this.
  2. Night Owl

Night Owl Peon

Best Answers:
    Great inspiring post. Will look forward to hearing updates! I will also post when I reach this level of income. Hopefully we'll get a click one day, :) and then there will be no holding us back! :)

Go Aussie's (we're in SA)

Night Owl, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  3. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the support - and it is always great to Aussie's getting involved in AdSense!

Burta, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  4. network

network Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow thanks for the great article. :)

network, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  5. Comenius

Comenius Peon

Best Answers:
    This is my first post to this forum, and I joined expressly to thank Burta for his very helpful initial post, as well as his continued responses to answer questions. I've learned a lot!

Comenius, Mar 3, 2007 IP
  6. t3ch

t3ch Peon

Best Answers:
    nice post burta .. anyway here is my question:

1. how do you get traffic to your site?
    2. How do you choose topic for your site

thanks

t3ch, Mar 3, 2007 IP
  7. Swordfish

Swordfish Active Member

Best Answers:
    great post.. congrats and good job on your efforts.

Swordfish, Mar 3, 2007 IP
  8. sohamakash

sohamakash Active Member

Best Answers:
    really a great and informative post...

sohamakash, Mar 3, 2007 IP
  9. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both of these questions have already been answered multiple times - I actually think they are both covered in my initial post... but in short I choose topic/s that I knew something about or enjoyed talking about and I get traffic from search engines and people telling people.

I'm glad you enjoyed my post - hopefully you will hang around because there are loads of other wonderful posts here on DP.

Burta, Mar 4, 2007 IP
  10. Erind

Erind Peon

Best Answers:
    This is probably the best post I've read in my life regarding AdSense.

Question: Do html tags mean that much when it comes to SEO? (I'm building a website right now, and I'm just about to publish it, but I haven't used any header and subheader tags. )
    Question: What is the best and hopefully shortest SEO/Adsense book out there? I'm going to buy one soon.

Erind, Mar 4, 2007 IP
  11. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks - I really appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Well I guess it all how you look at it. If you have pages that are currently ranked 11th and you only needed that little SEO tweak to get them into the top 10 - then their importance is HUGE!

I guess I'm more and more becoming and SEO nazi - but at the same time not placing too much value on it. By that I mean that whenever I design a new site or am writing a new page, I make sure that I have all the basic on-page SEO fundamentals done well. I mean they don't take much time or effort and they often do make a big difference. Now I say I don't give much value to it because at the end of the day one of the biggest factors is building links and having viral content, which other people spread the word about. See if create a new article on an already popular site in an industry where you are already considered an authoirty then chances are if your SEO is good your page is going to get read a lot, and if your SEO is terrible it is still going to get read a lot.

I mean a great example of this is they way many blog handle blogpost titles these days. They are focussing less on what will rank well in serach engines and more on what will get people to click to their blogs via RSS feeds, because they already have established users and most users aren't coming to their sites via search engines they are coming to their sites via RSS feeds and by bloggers telling other bloggers about their posts and articles. So in this instance articles are far more valuable if they are interesting and if they are well SEOed.

I hope that makes sense - but to answer you question how much difference would H1 and H2 tags make in regards to on-page SEO, my best guess would be less than 10%, but like I said it's the little differences that can make all the difference.

If you want to get ahead in this game you can't be thinking "shortest". If you truly want to succeed at anything in life you be looking to take the shortcuts or easy roads. You need to read extensively and broadly. You can read 10 books on AdSense and each one of them could make thousands with just that simple little tip or trick.

Now whilst in life you can often operate by investing 20% of your time for 80% of the result there are also times where by investing double your time will reap four times the reward. And when it comes to knowledge - it is invaluable - and it is what gives you your edge. So don't look for short cuts.

So my suggestion would be to head to amazon and have a look at some of the reviews, and see what other reviews there are out on the net.

My two personal picks would be:

Joel Comm's "The AdSense Code"
    Aaron Wall's "SEO Book"

But that is just my two Aussie cents.

Burta, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  12. ilxeon

ilxeon Peon

Best Answers:
    my personal site is stick at only $600 monthly :(

ilxeon, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  13. rupertValentino

rupertValentino Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations on your success and good write.

rupertValentino, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  14. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed - but for the life of me I can't understand why people say they enjoyed my writing style - I have never considered myself to be a good writer by any stretch of the imagination...

Burta, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  15. todaydvd

todaydvd Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the point "Using an aged domain with good TrustRank", where can I find a aged domain with good TrustRank?

todaydvd, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  16. woverko

woverko Peon

Best Answers:
    Great information. I'm gonna have to give some of it a try. Nice template as well.

woverko, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  17. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    At least you can speel.. ;)

ontheweb, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  18. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All you need is a time machine and to head back to the year 2003 before Google was really using TrustRank - then you just need to start building links to the site and adding good quality content, then by 2006/07 you will have yourself an aged domain with good TrustRank. I don't suppose you have a time machine... :rolleyes:

OK so if that isn't an option, what you will need to do is buy one from someone else, but this is a lot harder to do than it sounds. What TrustRank is essentially about is Google trusting the domain. So how does Google come to trust a domain. Well short of a complicated response, Google looks at the number of relevant inbound links to that domain relating to the particular topic. Domains created prior to 2003 according to many seem to be somewhat looked favorably upon.

Now before you rush out there and start buying up all the old domains you can find, I had the recent opportunity at a Search Engine conference to personally ask Adam Lasnik (Google's "Search Evangelist") a question about the change of ownership of domains and whether or not PageRank and TrustRank is transferred with the subsequent change of ownership and in short the response was - they do IF the topic/content of the site remains the same.

So what I read into that was that it is fine for people to purchase sites/domains with TrustRank - but that Trust given to that domain is to a degree only given to the specific topic that that site has been built around. So if you envisage going and buying a site/domain you believe to be well trusted by Google and then throwing a large amount of irrelevant material on the site and expecting it to rank well you might be VERY disappointed.

Now here is the kicker - more of then than not in any particular industry you will find that there are standout performers - as in there are a select few that have fairly broad reaching Google TrustRank on a topic - and with that in mind that means that there are relatively feel options to purchase sites with good TrustRank on a specific topic which means it can be VERY difficult to buy especially seeing they already no doubt are ranking well and earning well via their advertising mediums - and that is if they are even open to selling. So long story short by good sites/domains with good TrustRank is very expensive normally.

Anyway I have really gone a little too much depth here I think. I just thought that these were a few things that might be worth considering.

LOL some would argue I can't spell - because I'm Australian and we have a slightly different spelling for a fair few words. I actually normally change everything to American spelling a lot of the time... not just on my article pages but on forums as well...

:p

Burta, Mar 6, 2007 IP
    jill_domains likes this.
  19. xcentrix

xcentrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Burta,

Amazing thread! 5 star rating plus rep points for your sir.:)

Has Google given you a definitive answer about putting blue dots or any images near your Adsense blocks yet?

This is crucial as I hear some folks that removed their images saw their Adsense revenue drop 40%.

thanks,

x

xcentrix, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  20. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the rep - I appreciate it.

As for Google's response I think I have made a few posts within this thread about it - but in short yes they did approve my method.

As for people losing 40% of their revenues - well they can't really complain too much as they were arguably deceiving people in to clicking the ads in the first place.

Burta, Mar 8, 2007 IP
    Comenius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.