1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Watch me develop my new site, step-by-step!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by craze3, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the sounds of it.

Sounds good too. Ill monitor and se how it goes.

Kalyse, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  2. craze3

craze3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    Post #4:
    1. Still not listed in google
    Well, it's been a couple days since my site has been up and I'm still not listed in google. I've been adding backlinks like crazy so I hope I get listed soon. I have been listed in google within a couple days before, so I didn't think it would be too hard.

2. Signature Advertising
    I signed up for some MMORPG forums and put a backlink in my signature. Of course I am contributing to the websites about things I enjoy (games) without needing to spam. Hopefully I can get a couple new users this way.

3. Toplist Spots
    Not sure if I posted this before, but I put a couple toplist buttons on the bottom of my website. I didn't want to choke my users or ruin the layout so that's why I put it on the bottom as opposed to the top. I only put 2 because I don't think more is necessary (Although I did submit to more toplists just for the backlink). I guess you can vote once a month..or it may be once a day, not sure.
    The toplists I chose are PR4-5 and definitely relevant to my website. I chose those 2 certain toplists because the IN clicks per month from most of the other websites is very low or zero, so if I can get a few votes in I will be higher than the majority.

4. Notes/To-Do/Questions
    • That banner above is not my website, it's only a toplist I submitted to.
    • I like posting images to help keep/spark interest and so that my posts aren't just one big blurb of crappily formatted text.
    • I need to come up with more content for the Vanguard forums.
    • I am contemplating a contest..maybe giving away a couple months subscription to one of the games?
    • Should I add more forums to attract more members or leave it be since I don't have alot of users yet?
    • Are my category descriptions to spammy? Is it a bad thing?

craze3, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  3. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    D_C, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  4. craze3

craze3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, sounds cool. I have tried lineage before and it was pretty fun.
    But my question is not which forums to add.. my question is should I add the new game forums now to attract more members..or add them later when I have more members?

craze3, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  5. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Keep at it and add new forums!!
    Exchange some links while you're at it!!

EGS, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  6. gibol

gibol Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post. I'll keep reading it

gibol, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  7. Volknet

Volknet Peon

Best Answers:
    Neat thread. Forums are difficult things to start. So this thread will be very valuable to the community on how to start a forum.

I currently run a Forum that is in the MMOCC Market which is slightly different than the MMORPG. (MMOCC stands for mass multiplayer online chatting communities - like habbo.com etc).

It has 1300+ members if you're intersted in exchanging links. :)

Volknet, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  8. craze3

craze3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, it'd be great to exchange links, although it may not be as much of a benefit for you as it would be for me :(

craze3, Mar 6, 2007 IP
    devin likes this.
  9. fireworks-styles

fireworks-styles Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love posts like these!

Best of luck!

Debra :)

fireworks-styles, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  10. craze3

craze3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Post #5
    1. D'oh! Forgot me some SEO!
    So it turns out that I hadn't filled out any meta tags or put any keywords in my site's title. I thought my OvBB software had those fields in the options and that I had filled them out before..but it didn't. So I had to go and manually edit the header and index files for the forum to add in my keywords and meta tags.

2. Forum Postings and Submissions
    Managed to get some forum postings w/ signature links in. Also got accepted to a couple directories. Will continue to submit tomorrow.

3. Add an Ad Box?
    I want to add a giant Advertisement/Sign-up box at the top of the forums for non registered users. I'll probably work on it tomorrow to see how it will turn out and look. From there I will decide if I want to keep it or not. To see what I'm thinking of, check out http://forums.somethingawful.com/
    I'm hoping the ads will generate revenue and that the box will get more lurkers and guests registered.

4. Questions
    Still looking for more feedback on questions from the last post :)
    [​IMG]

I should have gone with searchengine.us.com/metatag.htm, they offer Meta Tag Construction and Installation for only $50! (yes, I'm joking, lol)

craze3, Mar 6, 2007 IP
    D_C likes this.
  11. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    i can comment on one, and answer another one.

i like how you put graphics on your 'progress' post. that way i can just sift through to read just your progress.

as for whether you should add new forums, don't add until you have some threads. too many empty forums turn off visitors. you should have only a few of the important ones, then slowly add those as need arises.

as for your forum descriptions:
    1) you don't need to put "WoW - Tips and Tricks" because your parent forum already says WoW. that goes for others too.
    2) your description can be improved. right now they look like a copy paste job. be a little creative with the description. include an example in the description (i don't play those games so i can't give an example). an example for the game "S.W.A.T 4":

devin, Mar 6, 2007 IP
    MTbiker likes this.
  12. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Awesome. I love these kinds of posts--step by step. :)

webmasterlabor.com, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  13. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    webmasterlabor.com, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  14. techie007

techie007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey,

This post is very interesting.. I am too developing a forum forums.kiddysmile.com. just because i want to work on forum and see it fully developed and ofcourse, i wouldn't mind if i get some revenue from that..

This post has helping me a lot.. to get new idea and the right path to develop a forum... i will keep checking :)

techie007, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  15. Sirius_Lin

Sirius_Lin Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like an interesting read. I'll be following this thread!

~ Sirius Lin

Sirius_Lin, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  16. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keep it up man, this is a great topic and is giving great information.

Also, I would not do the big ad thing. It seems to give people the impression that all you want is for them to do what you want, when it should be more of a "come enjoy yourself" feeling.

D_C, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  17. Volknet

Volknet Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a good suggestion for you to increase revenue.

Go sign up at click bank and advertise the numerous WoW power leveling ebooks. You generally get 75% - 50% commission for those type of items.

Hope that helps a bit ;) If you do it in a non-advertising way, you could make a good amount.

Volknet, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  18. craze3

craze3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    Post #6
    1. No users = FRUSTRATING!
    I'm starting to get pretty pissed off with the lack of users. I need to do something drastic to get more users. I'm thinking of running a competition (see below) or paying for some advertising (also see below). Paying for a competition will cost more than a nice ad campaign on a popular MMORPG portal, so I don't know which to go with.

2. Ad Campaign on MMORPG.com??
    They offer CPC campaigns on MMORPG.com, a very popular MMORPG portal, and you pay $0.20 per click-through. You can get an ad wherever you like really. If I do this, I will have to be extremely low budget. I have never ran any ad campaigns for any of my websites. The minimum budget is $50.00, so if I understand this right...that will get me 250 click-throughs? On the surface, that seems like alot for the price (maybe it isn't, I've never advertised before), but it is directly targeted clicks.

3. Contest!
    I'm thinking of running a contest. Here are the details/prereqs to enter:
    • Must have atleast 10 posts to enter
    • The contest is for the most original exploit or trick submitted.
    • The exploit must be proved or confirmed to qualify.
    • I will research the most titillating exploits online for a few days to see if any have shown up anywhere else, and if so then the exploit is void to enter. I don't want to ban or kick anybody since that would leave a bad impression for other members. Also, someone may accidentally enter an exploit or trick that has been discovered before but they didn't know.
    • Multiple winners = More Chances = More members
    Here are the prizes I have in mind, and how much it will cost me to get it:
    • 1st - 2 Month Game Subscription to game of your choice - COST: $30.00
    • 2nd - A small amount of in-game gold for an online game (still deciding) - COST: $15 - $20
    • 3rd - An invite to join the "Dungeon Runners" Beta, a new unreleased MMORPG from the creators of Guild Wars. Looks like WoW, plays like Diablo. - COST: $0.00

4. What to do..
    They both (see above) would cost about the same, but which would be most beneificial?
    Also, I should probably post on forums more in order to get more visitors.
    Right now I'm focusing on users, visitors, and content, because after I get the community rolling, the PR and Revenue can build from there.

craze3, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  19. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hire some paid posters and make your forum look active, then start an advertising campaign. Once you have an active looking forum and people see that, more people will join.

I am a freelance poster, I will send you my information in case you are interested.

D_C, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  20. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the paid poster suggestion above.

Another (related) suggestion is: use VBSEO and make threads that your target market would be interested in.

webmasterlabor.com, Mar 7, 2007 IP