1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

on page first before making site live ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by seoperson, Mar 6, 2007.

for seo process the site should be first optimized for on page only before making it live or we should do it live by just optimizing home page and then daily carry out on page as well as off page optimization ?

Should both processes be going hand to hand ?

Thanks

seoperson, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  2. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I would certainly do the On-page work for the home page and any interior target pages for the SEO campaign. After it goes live you can tinker with the rest of the site.

Unless you have one helluva link building campaign, indexation will be slow at first anyways...

thegypsy, Mar 6, 2007 IP
    seojig likes this.
  3. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    it is advisable to add pages a'ter uploading the home page as google love fresh content.
    but u have to take care that home page is indexed first and than add pages 1-2 each week and get indexed them.

one more thing u have to keep in mind that no broken links should be there.

seojig, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  4. MarcRoman

MarcRoman Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I don't really understand why you wouldn't do the On page as part of your natural processes. I mean let's be honest, you can complete on page optimization in less than an hour in most instances. And of course for most cases the on page is a lot less fruitful than the off page link building.

If your onpage isn't perfect, I would still try to at least get the home page as well opimized as you can, and then worry about the secondary pages next. For the most part Google doesn't index the whole site for a while, just the home page. After you start getting more links, google will start going deeper. I think it's more important to just get started, the sooner you get your home page indexed, the sooner you start building your links, the sooner google will index your entire site.

M

MarcRoman, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  5. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    how can u complete your on page optimization within one hour?
    its a long process man. we have to do content optimization,keyword research, title and meta tags, internal linkings any many more things.

seojig, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  6. boyponga

boyponga Banned

Best Answers:
    Start with on-page optimization because when you do off-page optimization after on-page, you can get more traffic and more links with that as long as the content is good and of course, the design.

boyponga, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  7. MorgansMom

MorgansMom Peon

Best Answers:
    Each time I create a new page, I do the on site optimization as I create it. This saves me having to go back and do it later... and I know that if I didn't do it this way I'd forget.

When you're writing content for each page, you should have your keyword research done by then anyway. Adding meta information doesn't take that long if you've done your keyword research properly.

Eventually you get a routine going and everything you do just becomes habit and goes faster every time.

MorgansMom, Mar 6, 2007 IP
    seojig likes this.
  8. seoperson

seoperson Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with all of the above answers but the thing is that i want to show my capability to the client that i can bring his site in google top 10 within 4 months for some particular keywords which will surely increase its traffic and at the same time it should also get some PR.

Meanwhile i also have some inner feeling that i can do it, so its also i want to judge myself.

Because Google loves fresh content and at the same time also looks at the age of the domain, so if i do on page optimization first for all the 50 pages in my site and then make it live.And then carry out off page, will that delays in getting the site in top 10.As iam planning to have a great link building campaign after my on page.
    Is age of the domain is determined when i make it live ?
    Please advise and correct me if iam wrong !

seoperson, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  9. Sadu

Sadu Peon

Best Answers:
    on-page SEO is so underrated.

So many good sites out there with gazillions of links that can't be found because of some on-page blunder.

The only thing you need to get right off the bat is the URLs. everything else can be tweaked or fixed later on without any problem. But changing URLs once a site is indexed is a big hassle.

And if on-page SEO takes less than an hour for a site, you aren't doing it right. I spend an average of 30 mins per page, plus any time solving technical issues such as URL structures or duplicate content.

Sadu, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  10. MorgansMom

MorgansMom Peon

Best Answers:
    Sadu, what exactly are you doing then if it takes you that long?

Are you including the time it takes to create the content? Because I'm not. I usually sit down at the couch with my laptop and write content during the commercials of my favorite shows.

Afterwards, I'll go to my other computer and paste my copy into a new page, then I'll do my optimization. When I wrote my content (actually before I wrote it) I've already done my keyword research so that's already taken care of. Other than that, it's adding title tags, links, etc, meta tags, etc.

And like I said before, having the keyword research done prior to that really speeds things up.

I don't see any benefit in making a site live BEFORE you do your on site optimization. What's the point?

And if it's a brand new site, you'll probably end up sand boxed anyway (if you believe in that).

MorgansMom, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  11. seoperson

seoperson Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with above that first keyword research is to be done.Then do on page optimization before making it live and take special care for your urls because it will have problems if you decided to change the urls later.And then go ahead with off page.

Anyway,thanks guys for the answers !

seoperson, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  12. Sadu

Sadu Peon

Best Answers:
    On an existing site with 50 pages, it's not unreasonable to take 25 hours to do keyword research, decide which pages will target what phrases, then sit down and write optimised titles, URLs, meta descriptions, Headings and body content for each and every page. I'll usually do this in a spreadsheet / txt document then copy paste into the CMS.

Obviously on product database sites with one template powering 1000 pages, this does not take 500 hours. Also, more time is spent on the pages higher in the navigation structure, and much less time on the little pages 3 clicks into the site.

If you are optimising pages one at a time (which you do when new content is added), it can easily take 30 mins to read the content and get a feel for what it is about, do some keyword research appropriate to the page, see how the competition is sitting for those phrases, check your current rankings for the phrase and record them, then tweak the titles, headings etc accordingly and save to the CMS or FTP.

There is very definitely a point to going live before a site is done. If you know you are launching a site with home, about, products, services, contact then it makes sense to create a skeleton site with minimal content and start throwing some links at it. By the time your real site is good to go, you have already served 2 months of your sandbox jail term. On top of that, you can launch your finished site with a non-zero pagerank, if you believe such things are important.

Sadu, Mar 8, 2007 IP