1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestions for sending email to a large list

Discussion in 'Programming' started by gcarlson, Jan 19, 2007.

Hi,

Do any of you have any suggestions for a very simple email script that will send plain text emails to a large list (about 90,000 emails). The only feature I would need is for people to be able to unsubscribe from the list. I don't need a subscribe feature.

And just in case you're wondering, no - I won't be using the script to spam people. It's totally legitimate.

thanks

gcarlson, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  2. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Clive, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  3. sukantab

sukantab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sukantab, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  4. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on how simple the email is, a quick PHP loop is all you'd need really.

projectshifter, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  5. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    It will have to be a full script since the guy wants the users to be able to unsubscribe, meaning a database to store email addresses, web form for them to fill in and send their requests to subscribe/ubsubscribe. Besides, my own experience showed that you can hardly have 10,000 emails sent via http without getting script "execution limite exceeded" warnings. 90,000 emails can be a pain to be sent via http, and you probably need dedicated server stuff handy. That's why I suggested the tools I mentioned above. I tried them myself.

Clive, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  6. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    Subscribing and subscribing is fairly easy, and you could simple have a comma delimited file (but no matter how you do it you need some sort of listing). You can easily have 10,000+ emails sent without an "execution limit exceeded", it's a simple PHP variable to change (can be done via htaccess), default is 30 seconds, but you can set it to a ridiculous figure. And really you don't need a dedicated server handy, although it never hurts to have your own. mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers); Putting $headers = 'From: mailer@mydomain.com' would be fine.

projectshifter, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  7. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Yes, a dedicated server will not hurt, even a shared hosting account might do if bought from one of those overnight established hosting companies that buy and resell server space.

Well established companies will most likely set daily mail send limits including phpmail and smtp, so you won't be able to deliver the email to all in the list anyway. So yes, a dedicated server might come handy although if you get it at GoDaddy they will by default limit email sending to 1,000 and you have to call them to change it to a higher value..

Clive, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  8. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    One reason not to buy a dedicated server from GoDaddy ;) I trust them with my domains, and that's about it. A good way to overcome these obstacles is to use cronjobs and send partial lists at a single time.

9. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Have you got a chance to use GoDaddy hosting?

To gcarlson,
    whatever hosting provider you choose to use fr sending your emailings out, read their TOS policies first to make sure you are not qualifying for account termination or other penalty for that. Spamming is not welcome these days, and you could easily be flagged as spammer if spotted while sending out that amount of emails in a short period of time.

Clive, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  10. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a couple clients who ran GoDaddy dedicated servers, I was not at all impressed with the quality nor the price.

11. blfast

blfast Peon

Best Answers:
    Install a mailing-list package (Mailman for example). You can also buy a mailing list service. Set it up to be closed to subscriptions. Periodically, update the subscription list from the user database, and then you can simply send a message to the list address. The users can unsubscribe from the mail package web interface. This will also take care of bounces and bad addresses, which you'll definitely have plenty of if you have this many users.

blfast, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  12. xcentrix

xcentrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    gcarlson,

I live in San Francisco. I would like to contact you to do some networking.

How can you be reached?

Send me a PM.

thx,

x

xcentrix, Mar 5, 2007 IP