1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you work with freelance web designers?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by driven, Jul 17, 2005.

I'm going to be launching a new company soon that helps businesses with blogging consultation, press release marketing and web design. I can do the first two, but web design ain't my thing. I will be looking to hire freelance webdesigners who can do this job for me.

I think that I can find web designers who have good design skills but to find those who have intangibles such as people and communications skills will be alot tougher and not to mention, can meet the deadlines required by the prospective client.

Is there anyone here who has gone through similar headaches when they first started? How did you make sure that you hired good freelance webdesigners who could work well with you?

thanks guys.

driven, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  2. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    i'm 2 for 2.

both web designers i've hired turned out to be EXCELLENT.
    one is a member here :)

lucky... yes, but it's also pretty easy to get a "gut feel."
    ask a few questions, use logic and common sense...

p.s. i think there are a LOT more people who call themselves web designers out there than there actually are - the 2 i have worked with did web design for a LIVING, not "on the side" as "a hobby." not sure if that makes a difference, but it worked for me.

DomainLoot, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Communication. Setting an expectation of what is to be delivered and a time frame for which it is to be delivered. Setting milestones (lots of them initially, so you have better control over the process) for deliverables.

I'm a web designer. I do a lot of web design for small businesses. In my case, I reverse the process. I hold client's hands through the process. I don't mean in a negative way. I find that first time web owners do not have adequate information about the process and what is involved. By breaking this down for them and communicating the steps we'll take and what my part requires and their part (content) requires, it makes them very comfortable. I break these down, from step one in securing a domain, to finding out their favorite color(s) and if they see those in their web design (most often, yes). I ask them if there are any sites they've seen, that they like and what they like about them. If not, I ask them to do some general surfing and find various aspects of sites they like. This gives me an insight to their expectation for the visual design. Will they be selling products online and if so, what we need to do and the options we have in making it happen.

I think the process can work both ways, even though they are different. Open communication up front, lots of question asking, will lead to a great site design and a happy customer. You should find someone that is easy to work with, returns emails quickly, available via phone for emergencies (I give all my clients my cell phone and they can call day or night). Look for someone who is flexible. Nickle and dimers are nothing but hassle. I expect that my customers will have a certain amount of changes or additions during the project cycle. If it's little things, that's just part of the project. If it's a huge change that might take a day or more, then I raise the issue in a gentle way.

Not being a web designer yourself, hopefully seeing things from a web designers perspective will help you identify a good candidate. Having someone reliable that can take your direction and give you the desired result in return with consistency will make your job much easier.

GTech

GTech, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  4. Webturtle

Webturtle Guest

Best Answers:
    GTech is totally right - I'll add some thoughts to what was said.

• Look for sites you like and would want to emulate. Not copy - or even have anything like - just the kind of quality and functionality you want. Contact who did them.
    • While doing reconnaisance, look for testimonials and then don't hesitate to contact site owners for sites these designers did and get real input
    • Pay attention to how the prospective web designer communicates in email and by phone initially - if they aren't stepping up to the plate in the prospect phase, you can be pretty sure they'll be a problem later
    • Its not always true that you only get what you pay for - sadly, there are some designers out there who do good work at cut rates and of course, the prices in general are all over the place. Keep in mind that cut rate "budget" designers often go out of business - and getting something done cheap and poorly can affect the first impression your prospective customers get
    • Contracts! Whatever you end up doing - have one - and make sure it protects you, says what you will pay and for what, when it will be done, what happens if you aren't happy, who owns what, all that good stuff.

I know I'm not the peer you're looking for but rather another web designer. But since at least half of my clients come having already been royally screwed by someone, and I get to listen to their woes and then show them that we're not ALL idiots or scam artists (grin) I have some insight into what they SHOULD have done to avoid these problems.

I hope this helps some!

Webturtle, Jul 21, 2005 IP
    exam likes this.