1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

issues with a new .co.uk domain name.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by www.mazoo.co.uk, Mar 2, 2007.

i have just bought a new domain name and i am having issues with it, i have reseller hosting so i set up a new hosting account and bought the domain, i asked the domain company to point the domain to the hosting but i can only get the site working under the non www url

http://mazoo.co.uk works and brings up the site, but
    http://www.mazoo.co.uk does not work

the above urls are based on my main site not the site in question, i don't want any links to the site yet until issue is resolved.

i have been told it is to do with domain propagating, but i thought .co.uk resolved quite quickly? its been 2 days?

Kathryn

www.mazoo.co.uk, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  2. fisher42uk

fisher42uk Peon

Best Answers:
    When you set up your reseller hosting did you set it up with the domain yoursite.co.uk or www.yoursite.co.uk ? I have had this before with my hosting and all I had to do was go and edit the account to show with the www.

edit..

Both Links are showing the site to me

fisher42uk, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  3. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You need to redirect the second url to the first one.

Richie_Ni, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi

use http://www.dnsreport.com/ to check the dns set up.

Depending on your cisrcumstances you have choice.

If you have a reseller account you should have access to DNS or at least the hosting comp should put it on automatically.

Domain relies on nameservers (DNS) You can keep this at the domain seller (eg register.com or 123 ) who give you full access to the DNS servers or simply have your hosting dns server put in at the domain level.

You can than at DNS level check the c names.

From yor description it looks like www is not set up to reseolve.

Changes in dns take about 10-60 minutes normally.
    You will see authorative dns that is the original nameserver and others. DNS gets cached along the way and in the DNS set up ther is a TTL (time to live / refresh) If that is set to very long it can take a while until underlying (nonauthorative NS) get the change.

You can "play" with good old dos e.g. windows start cmd
    nslookup and change the nsserver to be used to trace setup permutation through the net.

Expat

expat, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  5. www.mazoo.co.uk

www.mazoo.co.uk Peon

Best Answers:

hi i have gone in and change the domain on the hosting to include the www.

now www.mynewwebsite.co.uk works but not the non www url, i am hoping it will resolve itself this time, BTW the links in the first post was an example based on my main website.

Regards

Kathryn.

6. www.mazoo.co.uk

www.mazoo.co.uk Peon

Best Answers:
    ok i have reverted to seting up the hosting without the www as it stops errors occuring at dnsreport.com but i am still stuck with the original problem of the www. version url not showing??

Kathryn

7. www.mazoo.co.uk

www.mazoo.co.uk Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, i tried doing a 301 redirect in the ht file but it looks like if you type the url without the www its going somewhere totally different from the non www url, basically if i put a 301 redirect in my ht file to go from the www version the the non www version (the working url) it has absolutely no affect.

any other ideas?

Kathryn

8. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    It can take up to 72 hours with a .co.uk and it also depends on where the domain is registered and also the new host.

mcfox, Mar 2, 2007 IP