1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wikipedia & Answers

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by siraxi, Jul 11, 2005.

I am wondering - how about making a site using other site's content?

Take for instance, Wikipedia, the "free encyclopedia".
    Their content may be fully copied if some rules are applied. An example would be www.answers.com - they practically duplicate the free of charge the content of Wikiopedia and other sources, while adding their own adds.

My question is: how successful can a site like this be?
    On this forum, everyone agrees that the unique and original content attracts the visitors and is an important factor of success. I do too, I've seen and done it several times, yet there are these sites based on Wikipedia... and they seem to be doing pretty well... Any insights?

siraxi, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  2. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't try it. Making your own, unique content is far more worthwhile. Even if dup content filters haven't caught everything now, there will come a time in the future when the pages will be tossed out of the index. It's much better to spend your time pursuing something that can bring you long term results.

randfish, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  3. someonewhois

someonewhois Peon

Best Answers:
    Youl'l get killed for duplicate content. It's not quite as saturated as AWS, but it's pretty saturated (more than you'd think).

someonewhois, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  4. wwwbug

wwwbug Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not a good ideas for duplicate content,however you can use duplicate content when you do not know how to write some,it is better than being fleered

wwwbug, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  5. alvinhan

alvinhan Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess you can read it, digest the information and write it on your own words to avoid duplicate content.

alvinhan, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  6. Promoting2

Promoting2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Unique content will take you much further then the same stuff republished. It's been done... branch out.

Promoting2, Jul 19, 2005 IP