1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many vistors per sale is normal?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Davey Crocket, Jul 18, 2005.

Is there a standard conversion for the number web visitors to sales? like a 1% conversion or something like that?
    For ever 400 visitors I make a sale...that seems kinda low for me ( I get around 500 visitors a week! lol). The price was $49.00 but have since dropped it down to $29.00 to see if it would increase.

Davey Crocket, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  2. Promoting2

Promoting2 Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on your product, your look and your sales copy. Every website is different and I don't believe there is any magic ratio for sales. You just keep changing until you find something that works.

Promoting2, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I will also echo that there is no average. The site that allows me to work from home got around 100 unique visitors a day when I was able to pack in the day job.

I have other sites that bring in more than 10 times that and make me a marginal amount of income.

It all depends on the product/industry.
    The best thing you can do is study your logs and establish patterns. Sometimes fixing a simple grammatical mistake, for instance, can mean one extra sale a day ;)

yfs1, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  4. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It also depends on the kind of traffic you are getting.

honey, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  5. markkk

markkk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    agree with honey,, also a factor the kind of traffic youre getting (ie. country).

markkk, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  6. HomeOfficeVoice

HomeOfficeVoice Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, everythig said is true.

It all depends on your product/pricing. You don't need too many sales per week of a product that makes you $299 as with a product that makes you $19.95 to make your business viable.

With a cheaper product you obviously need a larger visitor number mass, good sales pitch (benefits to customer not features) and it has to be easy to make the order. Surveys show that people don't mind spending up to $50 ($49.95 is better they say) on a quick (sometimes emotional) purchase.

Large priced items need less visitors but you have to be prepared to cultivate a customer relationship over time.

Therefore, a 1% conversion for a product making you $19.95 requires a large number of visitors (unique) - just do the numbers .... lets say, in one month you get 5000 visitors - a 1% conversion would mean 50 sales. At $19.95 a pop that equals $998.

And then, it's all about the quality of the visitors. You can increase your conversion rate by sitting down and really thinking who your target market is. And then learn eveything you can that there is to market to them - such as this forum, which is a goldmine ;)

HomeOfficeVoice, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  7. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    Another thing to remember is that it is not your price, but your margin that is important. Obviously, a product that sells for $100 and has a 10% margin for you is not as good as one that sells for $50 with a 30% margin.

You may also want to compare your prices across your industry: Too high OR too low can result in lost sales. Too high is obvious, but too low can also be harmful as your price can destroy your credibility. I doubled the price of one of my products and revenue more than doubled because I was making a higher number of sales than before, with each sale being worth twice as much.

stephenmunday, Jul 19, 2005 IP
    e10 likes this.
  8. HomeOfficeVoice

HomeOfficeVoice Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point! Many think they have to offer the lowest price to beat their competition and gain more sales. That is not true.

People are prepared to pay a premium if they perceive a higher (or unique) value to your product/service. It is your job as a marketer to offer as many direct benefits to a potential customers wants and needs that they are prepared to pay more.

HomeOfficeVoice, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  9. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    I'll second (or third) this. Every site's different. Play with it, see which settings/layout/whatever work best. And then play with it some more. There is no "magic formula."

At least, not yet. If there were, someone would be selling it for several million dollars, until google changes all the rules and makes it go away.

Very true. Bring in tightly targeted audiences from select affiliates, and the conversion ratio will probably be pretty decent. People looking to buy "baby beds for twins" are probably more likely to buy than people who chanced by looking for "photos of twins."

jimrthy, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  10. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard that 1% conversion was an average figure you could expect - that came from a guy I know that makes just e-commerce websites.

Don't know if that is a reflection of him or not though.

I would be very cautious about changing the price of your goods though.

Undervaluing your product is very hard to overcome.

stuw, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  11. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Just a personal pet peeve I figured I'd mention.

I'm much more likely to buy something at $50 than $49.99. I might pay an extra penny in sales tax (does that still depend on the state? It's been ages since I've bought *anything* online <lol>), but I don't feel like some sleazy marketer has picked the price based on some stupid survey.

(And please don't ever pull the "How much would you expect to pay for this?" crap on me).

HomeOfficeVoice made this same point, though it might not quite be obvious.

Don't underprice. People assume that "discount" or "cheaper" means "less worthwhile."

I ran across this problem several years ago, writing shareware games. You pay $60 in a store and expect a real, top of the line game experience. You spend $10 on a shareware game...ho, hum. It's obviously not as good as that one charging 6x as much. Never mind the benefits of avoiding all the middle-men.

MS Office got huge (way back when) by charging much more than their competitors, putting things in a bigger box, and offering less. Now they're the undisputed champion of basic office software. (Anyone out there not know the basics of using Word?)

jimrthy, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  12. octavian

octavian Peon

Best Answers:
    the most important thing is how well you target your traffic. for example - if you rank #1 for "widgets" you might get a %1 conversion rate in selling widgets. but if you rank #1 for "blue widgets for sale", although the traffic is 10 times lower than for "widgets", the conversion rate could go as high as 80%

octavian, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  13. Speedy-Joe

Speedy-Joe Peon

Best Answers:
    I know a lot of people have had success with sales by offerring incentive products or ebooks.

Speedy-Joe, Oct 24, 2011 IP