1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

question about adgroups title importance...........

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by coreyt1111, Feb 25, 2007.

ok so im making my first ad. Lets say my topic is burning dvds for example. Lets say I build my whole ad around the keywords burning dvds. Lets say "burning dvds" gets 15,000 searches per month on average. I want to target mainly that phrase because my whole website revolves around it. So do I name my adgroup burning dvds? Im confused, if I want people that are only typing in that phrase in google what should I do?

also where do I select if I want my site to be on google or websites? I just want them to be on google. I went to create new ad and now I did my keyword list and it hasnt asked me if I want the ads on google or websites yet, is that to come?

I also dont understand how adgroups are different from keywords? I mean why do we need different adgroups for the same ad when we could just make a huge keyword list? Am I missing something?

coreyt1111, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  2. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whoakay, lots of questions, let's work through them one at a time.

You actually probably don't want to target "burning dvds" even if that's exactly what your website revolves around, if you're hoping to make sales. Why? Because it's way too broad. People looking for 'burning dvds' may not have even the slightest intention of buying dvd burning software. You'll probably do far better with something more specific like "best dvd burning software" or "dvd burning software reviews" or even "software to burn movies on dvd". Target customers who are looking to buy exactly what you're selling not, just what your product relates to.

And as far as what you name the adgroup in Adwords, it doesn't matter. People only see the stuff you create for the ad, like title, text, and display URL.

As far as selecting where you want your website to appear, you can do this through editing your campaign settings for that campaign in adwords. Just uncheck the "content network" box.

And as far as adgroups vs keywords, it's a relevance issue.

Adgroups comprise ads which you create, which can be triggered when a user types a keyword you've added to the adgroup into Google.

You probably shouldn't have different adgroups for the same ad, because that would be pretty pointless. However, you'll want to create multiple adgroups so you can better target your ad's message to the different people it will appear in front of.

Say I have keywords like this:

Make money online
    how to make money online
    best programs to make money online
    make money online program reviews

In that case, I want to have an adgroup tightly focused around "make money online". However, I might also have some keywords like this:

Work from home
    Work from home program reviews
    how to make money online working from home
    internet marketing work from home
    etc, etc...

Then, I'd want an adgroup specifically aimed at the whole "work from home" sort of ads. The more relevant your keywords, adgroup, & landing page are, the less you'll pay and likely better you'll convert.

-T

Telmari, Feb 25, 2007 IP
    ohadgliksman likes this.
  3. coreyt1111

coreyt1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow thanks for the detailed reply. So basically when i make a new adgroup i can target a "sub category" of my main product.sorry i using a onscreen keyboard right now, i have a more detailed question but cant type it until later tonigght when i get a new keyboard soo please check back. thanks

4. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's mainly true - I'd say it's more like an audience sub-category. For instance, your main product will probably be the same for most adgroups in the campaign, but you can use adgroups to target a different message to different audiences so as to make the messages more specific, more attention grabbing to that audience, and ultimately increase clickthroughs and sales.

-T

Telmari, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  5. coreyt1111

coreyt1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok so basically if my category is say..... small grapes...I could make one adgroup to target the small grapes keyword. I would call the adgroup small grapes, then my keywords would be:
    small grapes
    small grapes for sale
    -free

now lets say the term "small grapes" gets 15,000 searches per month. I just want to target that phrase mainly in that adwords group because other phrases dont get any views hardly. Is that ok?
    Is it ok to make like 20 adword groups with only like 5-10 keyword phrases?
    Now lets say my second adwords group is " I want to buy small grapes" and that term gets 20,000 searches per month. Now my keywords are:
    I want to buy small grapes
    I want to purchase small grapes
    -free
    etc

Is this a good way to go about it? Thanks so much for your help, its a bit confusing at the begginning.

6. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh, you're getting closer! Basically, the idea is to separate out common phrases from each other so that you can target people very specifically. If your keyword is "small grapes", you either want to have separate ad groups based on different key phrases that also have "small grapes" in it, but not just that phrase itself.

For instance, I might have different adgroups for these:

"How to choose the best small grapes"
    "Why small grapes over large ones"
    "Small grapes: the real truth"

etc etc because those all target different audiences.

However, I would place all these words together in one ad group:

Small grape cooking secrets
    Cooking with Small Grapes
    Great Small Grape dishes
    Small grapes: a welcome meal addition.

I probably wouldn't bid on the small grapes keyword itself because it's just so general. People typing that in could be looking for ANYTHING, and very possibly not interested in buying anything at all.

Again, with affiliate marketing, it's not about how many views a phrase gets, it's about how likely it is to convert to a sale for you - that's really it. Choosing phrases for adgroups should be done by asking yourself "if I were typing this in, would I likely be in a mood to buy whatever it was I was searching for"? Hopefully, this will help you make clear decisions about choosing keywords regardless of how popular they may be :)

-T

Telmari, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  7. coreyt1111

coreyt1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok so basically its ok to make like 10 adgroups that only have like 5-10 keyword phrases each? Basically i make a new adgroup for every fairly high searched different phrase for my product and add the most searhed keywords in my keyword list? sorry im using onscreen keyoard again.

8. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it's a decent way to go, having a few different adgroups with 5-10 keyword phrases. It's how I consistently make money, anyways... but there's definitely a lot of ways to work the system.

-T

Telmari, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  9. coreyt1111

coreyt1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    really? you just make 5-10 keyword phrases for your adgroups and make money?

10. coreyt1111

coreyt1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    ive also read for each keyword you should do it like this:
    "small grapes"
    [small grapes]
    small grapes

does the above really work?

11. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's usually a good place to start. However you may find that the broad match leads to clicks that don't convert.

-T

Telmari, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  12. coreyt1111

coreyt1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, thats what I thought. Maybe I should do that in half my agroups? Also i dont want to stray away from my niche by using too many adgroups...does that make sense?

13. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, it's easy to lose focus when you focus on creating more keywords and adgroups instead of just putting down words that really truly relate to what you're trying to do.

-T

Telmari, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  14. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    True. On the other hand, you shouldn't restrict your number of keywords without good reason (as I've seen suggested on here before). Bid on all of the keywords and phrases that are relevant.

One point on broad matching - Google are playing games, and it seems that they are coming up with some questionable synonyms - if you broad match on small grapes, it will also bid on your behalf on mini grapes, tiny grapes and little grapes. But recently, it's also included small raisins, small apples and small bottles of wine.

As a result, if you are broad matching, watch your clickthrough rate closely - broad matching these synonyms doesn't affect your quality score (or so Google have told me), but your advert may appear in completely the wrong places. Also, make sure that you are VERY careful with dynamic keyword insertion with broad matching - if your top line is {KeyWord:Small Grapes}, your advert may appear with a top line of Small Bottles Of Wine. This will potentially get you a lot of very poor traffic...

CustardMite, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  15. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    SORRY

Just re-read what I've said, and it's pony.

The advert will still say "Small Grapes" at the top, not "Small Bottles Of Wine".

CustardMite, Mar 8, 2007 IP