1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Proposal I received from adsense support

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by names2buy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jimkarter, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  2. RaZoRLeGaCy

RaZoRLeGaCy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Hans,

I would like an evaluation on one of my high traffic sites.

HellHorror.com

I alternate on the homepage between 300x250 and 336x280

I have recently edited my channels for both and will be waiting for the stats in the next couple of days.

All suggestions are welcome.

RaZoRLeGaCy, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    to answer a few ealier question that I missed on this thread -

login

that most likely never works - its impossible for G to predict - because
    it's ONLY within a web publishers hands to change his luck, to produce quality content for high demand topics that might attract larger companies to advertise in targetable channels.
    sometimes as a webpublisher you have to take a rist if you want to improve
    the rist costs ZERO$ - just some time

in addition
    MOST of the websites I have looked at are highly DE-optimized - and a simple change in ad-unit-ofrmats and ad-placements might always bring substantial improvements

2. how much is ic worth to fully optimize ?
    here my this month result of my own optimization exactly as outlined much earlier.
    a.
    normally my highest ever month always is december ...
    b.
    by feb 17th - I have reached my nov/dec/jan average
    by mid feb 18th I have surpassed my highest ever result from dec 2006
    c.
    all the changes I made to achieve this are outlined in very detail - incl color-scheme used - in earlier posts
    for real examples see my various sections ( blog, wallpapers, photo gallery, ...)
    the key to success have been the formats, colors and placements as well as to link unit all the way on top of most pages

I am quiet sure that "custom placement packs" may take up to months to become effective - it is up to the web publisher to create the high volume traffic to become attractive for potential advertising customers
    also such tragetted ads may require a high traffic on a particular channel to be really interesting for advertisers to be targeted
    therefore I guess that sites with adsense page-impressions higher several thousands / day may more likely benefit that site owners with small hobby sites and low traffic
    while G ask for 300x250 top-center ATF and I do test that format time and again - at least every few days on high trarric sections,
    my by far most successful ATF placement format is 336x280
    and that format is the only so far I have seen displaying video ads. products shown in video ads are multi-thousand-$ items ... like a globally known major HW manufacturer in high end commercial server-HW in one of the videos seen

It is my belief that in order to be attractice for targetable ad-channels you need to have
    a. high traffic on such channels
    b. high generic CTR - i.e. CTR achieved by real potential customers, hence customers who click on a particular unit because they want so out of their own free will and choce. hence any site who tries to trick or deceive visitors to attract or to create clicks without knowing at first glance that the surfer is leaving your site may fail to produce such generic CTR and may thus fail to produce true advertiser-satisfaction
    and that is the key - the advertiser NEEDS to be made happy by turning your site into a successful and most valuable source for his FUTURE new customers. that means your customers need to be potential buyers already by the time before they click on such ad with high end products that cost hundreds or more $
    an advertisr needs to see a substantial increase in ROI as a result of high conversion rate resulting form YOUR site.

RaZoRLeGaCy
    Mike - i see your site is one of those with black background
    so far i have never seen a truly successful adsense site with such bg color
    a friend of mine has a family business in website design and as a hobby they have a few sites just for fun - some of them millions of pageview per months
    one of them also in black bg color
    that one has an adsense CTR below 1%
    my personal preference is to never view blacfk sites because it is too tiring fo rthe eyes ( and soiul ) to look at black pages

hence you may have visitors - but many of them may view the color scheme and go witho9iut reading thru several pages - black=your choice

as yoiurself what is more important
    black bg or success with eye- and heart-friendly color schemes of all pages

I also see that your site has still a very low traffic
    therefore instead of worring too much about revenue - focus on investing time and resources to create more unique value content to attract a much larger number of visiters to your site

changing formats ATF ( Above The Fold ) between 300x250 and 336x280 might be a good idea to see where the higher paid ads are
    that however requires that you have an elaborate channel system that allows you to clearly get feedback on all formats in use at all placements.
    one of these days I shall write an article on "understanding and configuring a channel system" for adsense - several of my friends are waiting for it since long.

Mike
    currently - today - i see NO ATF ad on your domain index page

the placement you marked currently "Advertise Here * Become a HellHorror.com Sponsor * would be the typical ATF top-center placement for a 336x280n ( or 300x250 )

since you may opt for unsuccessful color schemes .., like MOST of those suffering from CTR below 5% - at least follow the recommended adsense color scheme exactly - including a white bg color for adsense

in pages like yours I recommend to use 2 ad units only per page
    placements
    1. ATF top-center
    2. 160x600 top LEFT - TOP of navigation bar

run it for at least 1000 G adsense page impressions - then compare your CTR / eCPM with ealier weeks
    if eCPM too low - adjust the ad-unit space accordingly to properly balance between offer and demand

my goal is a 2 digit CTR site wide and a clear 2 digit eCPM site wide - that is a goal all should head for and it is a goal that can be achieved - with clean, honest and precise publishing methods.
    stay away from any tricks, misleading images near adunits, etc but use the full power of COLOR to make ads clearly visible and to make it clear to all site visitors that these are ads and no text links to your site's other sections. this is best done by giving prime placements clearly visible to all - NO blending in at all is used in my pages.

I also would add a horizontal link-unit ON TOP of your pages - in your case even above the banner-log you display
    link color 0000ff
    bg color white
    5 links
    placement top-center of each page

I make up to 2 digits $ per day on link units alone
    however the link units bring TOTALLY different results depending on topic / sections i use them

REMOVE any and all ad-units that are below the top page sections and focus on 1 or 2 units as a.m.

also think about increasing your font size - or better shift font configuration from px to pt to make all fonts equal on all monitor resolutions
    I use like an increasing number of surfers a wide screen 1050x1680px monitor ( ferrari acer 4005wlmi) and most of the pages today still are configured in px font size and the larger the resolution in modern high end monitors - the smaller the actual font-size and the smaller the adsense text as well !!!

if you want people to actually READ your text AND ads - then it should be easily possible without having to increase font-size on each page using Ctrl++

I use 14pt on most of my pages for regular content text

those of you who may have failed in achieving a substantial increase in CTR/eCPM may have failed because of lack of readiness to
    1. give the absolute prime placement to ad-units as asked by G - top-center ATF
    2. by having maintained their unsuccessful ad-nit color-scheme
    3. by having still additional ad units way down on pages or ANY placements except those recommended
    4. by having simply too low traffic to be of significance to large advertisers
    5. by being in low $ niches with a small traffic site

hence - if you want real success then you need to have courage to review and change ALL of your ast procedures
    moving from 1% ctr to 3% CTR IS NO GOAL to achieve at all !!
    the very minimum acceptable would be a 5+% site wide average and an eCPM definitely in the 2 digits - else there is something you do that is VERY wrong

if you want adsense and adsense advertisers (adwords) to LOVE you - then you have to love adsense and the adwords customers ...
    what goes around comes around ! law of karma.

good luck

hans, Feb 24, 2007 IP
    dotcomwoman likes this.
  4. RaZoRLeGaCy

Best Answers:
    What BGcolor should I change to??

What color scheme should I use??
    I will be testing:
    $gcolors[] = 'google_color_border = "000000";
    google_color_bg = "000000";
    google_color_link = "FFCC66";
    google_color_url = "CCCCCC";
    google_color_text = "CCCCCC";';

google_color_bg = "000000";
    google_color_link = "DD0000";
    google_color_url = "0000FF";

google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";
    google_color_url = "CCCCCC";

google_color_link = "FFCC66";

I changed some of my px to pt, but I can't tell if I did good since it still all looks the same. DL my css sheet and tell me what you think.

Show me the way Dude

RaZoRLeGaCy, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  5. blogster

blogster Peon

Best Answers:
    hopefully ill get an email like this too lol :)

blogster, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  6. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    keep in mind that on a black bg site you always are on the looser side of business
    hence there is NO BEST colorscheme as long as your site bg is black

but if you insist in loosing $
    then try

google_color_border = "FFFFFF";
    google_color_text = "000000";

a black bg color as u use now certainly is a strict way to waste your chance of even the smallest success - if nothing else on your site is allowed to be normal - then at least offer your advertisers a bright spot in your life! they are the one to keep you alife and financially healthy !

make sure you change the colors on Google using original G tools
    any manual modification of adsense code would be against TOS and may result in a ban

changing from px to pt only makes a difference in OTHER people's monitor - in those who have a higher resolution monitor than you have

I see no improvement in font-size on my widescreen

one last point
    oyur ATF ad unit here s only half filled
    you are wasting your adspace with the lower right small vertical unit

if you want to test - then remove temporarily that vertical unit - its a wrong format anyway - and use as the single unit the ATF in a.m. color scheme
    then let it run for at least 1000 page impressions to see the difference
    then we may review again

hans, Feb 24, 2007 IP
    RaZoRLeGaCy likes this.
  7. RaZoRLeGaCy

Best Answers:
    I haven't forgot about you hans, trouble is that I mistakenly renamed a channel so everything was reset and I also optimized for other keywords in order for better SEO.

I started the new colors but I think I wont see anything substantial until G reindexes.

Dude, my old AdeCPM was double digits and now it's at the highest 2.30
    How long should I wait and what can I do beside wait to get it back up.

By the way 0000FF url's are doing pretty good! Good idea but I must run it through the system for prob a week b4 I can tell.

Hans keep me informed and hold on with me bro.

I will give you some rep.

Mike

RaZoRLeGaCy, Feb 26, 2007 IP
  8. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    may be to finalize this topic of adsense optimization - here some final data after the months of feb 2007 has ended.
    the months nov/dec 2006 and jan 2007 were my all time high with only some 100$+/- each months - a xxxxk$ amount.
    february 2007 - nomrally a low of the year month - this time as a result of total redo of all adsense accorindg to published data/visible examples has brought a PLUS of 85% in adsense revenue.
    however
    the total time invested was easily a few hundred hrs
    may be more than most beginners invest in total into their web site

but may be a result that inspires others to fully optimize their own adsense accordingly.

so far a final point again is that dark/black background sites seems to have no chance at all to get even half to such numbers ... 2 digits ctr/2 digits ecpm.

if u do it - do all and do it right
    if u hopem for improvement
    make sure before hoping for $ you have invested in UNIQUE quality content to attract thousands of unique visitors each day.

86% MORE of a high income is much more fun than 85% PLUS from a few dozen or few hundred visitors a day.

without real traffic, without high traffic - there will be NO high average generic adsense revenue.

first the work - then the revenue
    adsense will stay HIGH inaverage only if you have a large traffic from a variety of keywords across the full lifespan of business, technology, life and recreation,
    else you may have hours of huge HIGH followed by days of a fraction of $ only - the latter may cause newbies to panic and change things prematurely.

adsense is something for the vintage publisher who knows his market inside and outside - to know that certain days or halfdays or periods of hours are way way down - just to be followed by regular hours of extreme peak $ flow.

example on my PHT timed server - i usually have my very lowest hours just an hr or 2 before adsense date-change until about 6 hrs into each new adsense day - and then a long period of traffic increase follows parallel to a peak adsense ...

however there are certain days of the week that have just the date change and the few hrs there after some of th ehighest ever ctr/ecpm/$ ...

any premature change of adsense formats or number of adsense unites displayed may counteract the soon to come peak.

hence

before you start to change config during running day due to a low ...

be sure you have observed the entire flow of data for at least a few weeks = a few ten thousand adsense impressions carefully to know exactly what you do and to be ready to reverse any changes if success fails.

a right action of change always and nearly instantly results in increase of ctr/ecpm/$ - instant meaning within 1000 or so page impressions a clear increase of average data occurs. due to the character of different behavior in different keyword sectors of a site low traffic of less than a few thousand impressions per day never can give precise data-feedback to make sound decisions for a change. the higher your traffic the more accurately the faster you can obtain the feedback needed to make correct adjustments to get another ( small ) increase out.

with lots of experience you may make such additional time/week days dependant adjustments using crontab

to have obtained all the feedback needed for my optimization - I use all the 200 adsense channels in a complex but precise method on a single site ...

an interesting variation of adsense placement i have not yet mentioned but extensively and repeatedly tested on several HIGH traffic / high CTR/eCPM channels is to have a table displaying 2 rectangular ad units ATF - a 336x280 + a 300x250. this sysem works only if you have a channel with many competing advertisers in the waiting queue of bidders - in my blog I have that system now most of the time and get another few % more out of adsense.

in channels with low traffic / low competing advertiser # ur data however would instantly drop further.
    in high competing channels however you have have one or both of the units displaying either image ads or videos - my blog enjoys a 2 digit ctr on the ATF rectangular units most of the days ...

God bless

hans, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  9. RaZoRLeGaCy

Best Answers:
    Hey Hans,

I optimized my content, title, desc and first sentence for good keywords. Awaiting google to reindex.

I did notice a great change in ctr (XX) but I am waiting for the reindex because my ecpm are low but everyday they go up a little.

I want to know what bg you would suggest since most sites for the horror movie genre are black.

Any more tips and criticisms are welcome

RaZoRLeGaCy, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  10. sohamakash

sohamakash Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think you will earn good as mr. g is suggesting that

sohamakash, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  11. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be totally different in bg than you

horror is fine - because for millions of ppl simple daily life is already a REAL horror - see bangladesh, biafra, nigeria, etc

so no matter how horrifying the pics are that you offer
    i still would have WHITE or VERY genle BRIGHT colors as bg for your horror stories or horror pics

the contrast wold be much greater - horro pics on white bg or bright soft color bg is much more powerful than horror pics on black bg

i have for most of my pages #ffffee as bg ...

of your eCPM is low - then limit adsense to 2 units per page 2 of the 3 published successful G adsense formats
    and if possible have them all center page
    - top-center ATF
    and below the fold - center
    OR second unit top left 160x600

ad a 3rd unit only after ecpm is 2 digits as well - if site traffic low you may even try just ONE single unit ATF and see after several hundred page impressions how your eCPM is moving before adding a 2nd ad unit

then focus on new content
    each day more
    to get more visitors
    unique content - different kind of horror-related content

and always keep in mind
    horror is against human nature
    hence there is a precise upper limit how many ppl u ever can reach
    the oposite is human's true inner nature and hence with the opposite of horror you have ALL mankind on earth as potential surfers/site visitors

hans, Mar 5, 2007 IP
  12. RaZoRLeGaCy

Best Answers:
    Now hans,

I will definitely be changing the colors in the future.

My final thoughts are on traffic. I have read through the forums and have been getting related sites IBL, directories. I still have small traffic. I will be focusing on horror movies, horror games and horror books for keywords and building my IBLs in the process.

Any other details that are beyond the standard get links here there and everywhere.

How did you get all that traffic. SEO, IBLs, huge amounts of content, rss??? what??

I am testing adsense out on this horror site because it is my most popular site with 3000-4000 uniques per day. I will learn here then use what I learned to try on the others that get about 300-500 uniques per month.

Traffic is my prob and I am willing to pay to learn, a couch that this horror site will be our test bed.

Thanks, Mike

RaZoRLeGaCy, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  13. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    difference between your site and my site is:
    I offer what all people need and search - solutions of love - and nice pictures ecards, lovecards, nature wallpapers, technical solutions ... all things that make life easier and more pleasant for all

hence things / content that hundreds of millions search in various flavors using thousands of different keyword combiinations

who needs horror ?
    who wants horror ?

nobody realy NEEDS horror - because much of this planet IS horror pure !! I have been working in several war countries for humanitarian org decades ago - all horror real and real horro even MORE horrific than horror stories

hence on an eternal point of view a horror site always is on the loosing end of the creation

you have to invest millions times more to get fraction of traffic and success
    but what kind of success ? does it create happinesss, smiles, satisfaction ??
    or just nightmares and horror dreams ??

how did i get my content
    one page at a time
    in april 10 years full time - full time = up to 24 hrs work dozens of times
    i invest in content-creation
    example last week i bought new high end camera for 1,5k$ to get better flower/rose pics and nature sceneries because that is one of the many success sections = beautiful wallpapers and ecards for free download
    i invested so far some 7 complete high end HW sets
    many ten thousands of kms travelling
    and a long life of hard work and colleting experiences

after all - i started with one page, added pages daily - up to 6 or more content pages
    ZERO link farming
    ZERO link exchange
    NO paid advertisement what so ever

only top SEO and content that meets a natural need of mankind and content that makes happy or creates solutions and smiles.

you may have to totally reconsider your content and values of life if you want to have easy and most pleasant work
    adsense is but tipping - but tipping i need / use daily for charity - hence success in web publishing can be a supportive and strong factor in helping OTHERS even better and in a more pleasant and more efficient way

the difference between right or wrong choice of topic in life and thus in web site is to have a few k$ more or less each month.

think about your life - your goal of life - because a web site is an ideal way to be aware of your innermost content of heart and soul
    then review and if necessary change or correct as needed

hans, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  14. meicecream

meicecream Peon

Best Answers:
    300x250 rectangle is good,and have a significant advantage to inclusion in the customs packs.

meicecream, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  15. RaZoRLeGaCy

Best Answers:
    Hans

You are so deep. I started the horror site as a hobby to learn php and mysql database. I needed a topic that I would have fun with and I wouldn't get bored with while teaching myself web programming at the same time.

Well I did learn php programming and anyone interesting in a programmer, please check MichaelMohammed.com

I have another site that I am in development with right now that will help many. Right now I have some building blocks for a site that you can check at Home Jobs Search

Since you can't really help me much more there, can we divert to this site as the new test bed and in what ways should I do in order to get more traffic. The scheme will be the same and the current functionality will be further developed and tweaked.

Thanks so much Hans

RaZoRLeGaCy, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  16. megdilts

megdilts Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, not me. I didn't get that email. Besides I like 336 better.

megdilts, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  17. ajitjc

ajitjc Banned

Best Answers:
    I think its the normal mail to all the adsense users...

ajitjc, May 18, 2008 IP
  18. Asad!

Asad! Banned

Best Answers:
    I never got a mail like that! I pray to get one. lol

Asad!, May 18, 2008 IP
  19. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    more than a year ago I received similar mail
    I decided NOT to participate in that program for a simple reason
    I had just during the weeks BEFORE receiving that offer make intense and precise tests over many weeks and I had absolute evidence that a 300x250 gave VERY substantially LESS than my standard 336x280 ATF double arrangement I used and still use every since.
    substantially less means a 336x300 brings me approx 50-70 % MORE than the smaller rectangle.
    G at no times could proof that I earn more with the smaller rectangle. the competition on my site is healthy and $-solid - so is my adsense-revenue.
    in the 336x300 I enjoy IBM video ads and other high paying individual customers in the multi $/click range on a daily basis.

but finally its up to each individual to give it a try or create a better / more competitive solution.

my personal impression was/is that this pack is interesting for G to offer low cost ads to large scale advertisers - but most likely no benefits for the publisher.

If I clearly LOOSE $ in a smaller format then I see NO benefits for me at all.

hans, May 18, 2008 IP
  20. omkar.dutta

omkar.dutta Peon

Best Answers:
    keep it up guyzzzz

omkar.dutta, Dec 16, 2008 IP