1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting out of Supplemental

Discussion in 'Google' started by mudanoman, Jan 9, 2007.

What can be done to get out of the supplemental index? I currently have a good amount of content indexed but its supplemental. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

mudanoman, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  2. djrishi

djrishi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google puts pages into supplementals due to:

duplicate pages,
    identical title tags and identical description meta tags,
    not enough indexable content,
    too many parameters in the URL,
    the page isn't linked to well enough to warrant regular crawling,
    or the page has no incoming links but remains indexed because it used to have links.

check for duplicate content, parameters in URLs & dont keep similar pages like index.htm & index.html with similar content. :)

djrishi, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  3. alien

alien Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    alien, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  4. djrishi

Best Answers:
    if u have pages with similar content , make it unique. if some pages have no content or under construction laber, remove it. U can also redirect (use meta redirect) duplicate pages towards the original or better page. Never use same meta tags in all the pages. Make it Unique for every pages.

If more than 10% of ur sites pages are in supplemental, then u really need to work it out. Otherwise its ok.

djrishi, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  5. crushed_kid

crushed_kid Banned

Best Answers:
    - Unique content may help you out of the dreaded Supplemental index.
    - Quality Links may also help because not only duplicate sites goes to Supplemental index but also orphaned or sites without backlinks.

crushed_kid, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you must find direct beacklink to your supp. pages;)

trichnosis, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  7. sunmoon

sunmoon Peon

Best Answers:
    More original (unique) content and lots of backlink. That should help a lot.

sunmoon, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  8. mani

mani Peon

Best Answers:
    my directory is getting out of seplemental results , i put uniq meta keyword and description on each category page,

Secondly, never connect your websites if those are hosted on same account(same IP) , thats the big mistake i did once, now i am getting out of it... :)

mani, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  9. mpls-web-design

mpls-web-design Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Getting quality backlinks is the best way to get out of Supplemental Results. Keep this in mind, Google places more trust on quality backlinks than what it sees on your pages. The "miserable failure" google bomb is the best example.

mpls-web-design, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  10. djrishi

Best Answers:
    if u have pages with similar content , make it unique. if some pages have no content or under construction laber, remove it. U can also redirect (use meta redirect) duplicate pages towards the original or better page. Never use same meta tags in all the pages. Make it Unique for every pages.

Most Important: Get backlinks to these supplemental pages.

If more than 10% of ur sites pages are in supplemental, then u really need to work it out. Otherwise its ok.

djrishi, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  11. nikolaalx

nikolaalx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm would this really help?

I really doubt it. Supp pages are pages which are considered as "not worth" showing in serps, cuz the content is either duplicate or bad or simply missing.

This is the easiest way to put it :) In order to avoid getting marked as supp, you should focus on original content....if you can afford one.

Cheers

nikolaalx, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  12. mincus

mincus Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you actually have unique and useful content on those pages, it may be because you have too much HTML, CSS, and Javascript before the actual content of your page starts. I've found that by moving the content as close as possible to the top of the HTML, pages that were supplemental moved back into the normal index.

I actually just wrote about this: http://code.mincus.com/35/why-your-successful-site-is-leaving-money-on-the-table/

mincus, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  13. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    it appears to help, and having original content does not mean the page won't go supplemental

ferret77, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  14. jbladeus

jbladeus Peon

Best Answers:
    i improved the navigation structure of one of my sites, increased the amount of indexable content and got some deep links to the supp pages. A large number of pages came out of the supp index in a few weeks time.

jbladeus, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  15. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    If people are linking to the page then it tells google it has some importance. Like that other guy said as well pages go supp for other things then not original content. Building links to the pages is the best way imo.

jabb, Feb 24, 2007 IP