1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ reopened - has anyone been added? Post in Here!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by edr, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Do any of the other sites listed in that category belong one level up? Do they encompass more than just storage or just flooring?

Do you know of any other sites that could be listed in that category that encompass more than just storage or just flooring? Then please suggest them.

lmocr, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've had a few sites get listed in DMOZ since they opened back up ;)

Brandon Sheley, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously not:

Steve is correct:

That's it. That's the whole page.

If you're going to twist facts, lmocr, at least try to be good at it.

Surely you're not seriously trying to have us believe that there is only one site that fits that category? :rolleyes: And I thought it was the editor's job to seek out and FIND other sites for his categories?

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck and smells like a duck... in all likelihood, it's a duck.

minstrel, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  4. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess that means there are only five sites listed for the entire town of Tenino?

No - there are 37 sites listed in the Tenino category. The number of sites in a category include those listed in all subcategories.

lmocr, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Never mind Tenino. And forget about the subcategories bafflegab.

Answer the question: Are you seriously trying to convince us that the only site that meets the criteria for listing in the main category - sitting all by itself with no one to split the PR with - just happens by total coincidence to be the site owned by the editor of the category?

I don't hold you in high regard to begin with, lmocr, but I have always assumed that even you aren't that naive.

6. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, be disappointed in me, I don't mind. I don't have to ask the questions you think I need to ask, I already know that ODP was crashed shortly after he became an editor and it does take some time to learn. He's done nothing wrong.

Yeah, my motives are bad. I'm a bad person and a bad editor. Oh, and lets not forget lazy. :rolleyes:

How do you expect me to take you seriously?

compostannie, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    How long has it been back up? Don't you think in all conscience that he should try to fix what at best is a public relations canker sore by adding a few more sites into that category? The individual lodging the complaint apparently has an eligible site. Why not start there?

8. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok - I just spent thirty minutes looking for sites that might fit in that category (without belonging in one of the subcategories). I found three possibilities.

Upon further inspection - the one that looked really good was actually only about storage products for the garage. The next one was already listed, but in the wrong place (since it dealt with more than garage flooring - and more than just garages) - it's now been moved. The next one was already listed in a different category that was more appropriate - it also happened to deal with more than garages after further inspection.

I say again - if you know of any sites that would be listable in that category, please suggest them.

lmocr, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a lot for a new editor to learn and it's unfortunate that he joined right before the crash. I didn't catch the site of the individual who first made the complaint. Tell me the URL and if it fits carguygarage's category I'll make the submission myself.

compostannie, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  10. directory.chandra

directory.chandra Banned

Best Answers:
    I have added many site but my site is not listed in DMOZ. that's fantastic

directory.chandra, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  11. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    It does not fit - it's a furniture store site.

Neither does any of the sites in the second individual's signatures (one of which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole thanks to all the telemarketing phone calls I received in the months before I deployed - for some reason repeatedly saying I'm not interested didn't work so I just started hanging up very loudly on every one that had student or loan in the caller ID).

lmocr, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  12. ColleenC

ColleenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted my links a few weeks ago when they opened submissions back up - nothing yet. :-(

ColleenC, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  13. askcybersteve

askcybersteve Guest

Best Answers:
    BTW - for the record i'm not the one who was complaining about my site being listed/not listed. It's clear what ODP's position is on site submissions so I have no need to complain.

I just beleive, as posted previously, that something is fishy.

askcybersteve, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  14. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Now you see the problem in keeping editor edits top secret information? Conspiracy theories are flourishing and all this can be avoided with Wiki model where each editors work is visible to anyone and false accusations are impossible (unless made by admin on some obscure wiki nobody cares about). :D

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Who needs evidence when you have suspicions, you are really trying to become new Lord Marshal of DMOZ anti-corruption team better known as Necromongers. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'd love to become an editor for DMOZ in any category that fits my niche...not to add my own site (Though I'd love to get my site added to just one) rather, so I could help my community as a whole...as that is the main reason I started my site to begin with. Sadly, the form for new editors is still "broken".

I submitted my site a week or so before the crash, and it's not added. Officially I’m supposed to "only submit once" and that "repeat" submissions will NOT help (and in fact harm).

Now I'm doing my very very very very very best to not trash talk the site. I'm in a catch 22 over my site being submitted...Do I submit again with the assumption my site was lost? If it was not lost, will my re-submitting just ruin my chances? Are they ever going to “fix” the place enough to expand their staff/editors?

BLAH.... I'll give it some more time, and I'll keep checking is my site is added, or if they have fixed the new editor form.

Though, honestly, if they don't start really "fixing" things I think we, as webmasters' should start emailing all the places that use the ODP to complain and to ask that they start moving away from a broken system. Sitting around in random forums complaining is doing NOTHING…and it’s time, we started putting our collective feet down.

I think that would be a WONDERFUL start...they'd not need "open" positions that anyone could add...they could still maintain their little elite groups (if they exist) and so could maintain how they want things done...but if it's all out in the open, and they ARE being fair, then we'd really have no room to complain. All the speculation & accusation that is abound about the place is doing NO ONE any good...so I think that change is needed, and I think your idea would be a possible great one.
    Q

Qryztufre, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  17. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just submitted my site today, so I'll post back if it gets listed. I have a very strong community that has been running for two years, so I see no reason for it not to be listed.

Jacqueline, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  18. eLDee

eLDee Peon

Best Answers:
    i got my directory www_directorioenlinea_com_mx in DMOZ!

eLDee, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  19. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Submitted my site and got admitted within 2 months... My site is listed in Recreation/Pets/Birds/Species/Parrots/Lovebirds/.

My site is absolutely adorable lovebirds. You can see it in my signature also...

kittyluver, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  20. seo_cloud

seo_cloud Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is probably the grand grand grand father of all directories and to be included there it seems that is almost like a privilege and not a right!

There are more than 15 000 volunteer editors and they can't manage the huge amount of daily subscriptions!

seo_cloud, Mar 25, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.