1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to build a list of Directories that only have unique content

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ! Ask !, Feb 20, 2007.

1. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Will you change the desctiption of your website title each and every time you link with a directory or a site?

My blog rank 4th on big G with a keyword phrase and I submitted my site to 350 directories with same texts and same description.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding among us about what big G considers of duplicate contents. If somebody asks me --I can do the honour of uploading screenshot of Google's guidelines to webmasters about duplicate contents and PR guildelines.

I think all this discussion is not worth it.
    Google will always allow you to keep you website title--with hundreds of thousands of backlinks.

What do you mean by duplicate contents? Is it the title or description of the websites you have.

The whole understanding of duplicate contents on directories is irrelevent.
    I'll never allow my sites title or description to be changed in a directory.

To add another point---do those sites rank higher on SERPs if they are listed on those so-called unque content directories? Never---it all depends on good SEO-5-10 directories will never help you rank high. All you need is to have as many backlinks as possible from any source with out calling for FLAG OFF from big G.

jhnrang, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  2. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    10Char.min

ErectADirectory, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but I'm usually focusing on the same phrases so after some time there will be some duplication.

Thanks for duplicating.
    to some extent atleast.

Rock and roll, I wish you long term success. You will need it.

Thanks --again--I'll stay there--no doubt about that--infact I have stopped promoting it again --as its contents does not deserve it there ( Here is the real content --we should talk)

No need, we all know their address and (hopefully) we have all read it.

Very well then--so we should stop the discussion about duplicate contents--we all know about it--and its pitfalls.

Opinions are like (_o_) which is why forums are so great.

100% agreed--thats why I love forums:D

If you copy and paste into directories you are putting out duplicate content

100% disagree--I can not change official title of my sites --Can google or yahoo change their official site title? Thats ridiculous

Unfortunatly, you don't have much of a choice. Directories owners do everything we can to make our resource unique, if that means changing descriptions and titles so they make our directory less spammy, so be it. Hopefully we would delete the spammy one but whatever.

There are 99.9999999999................% directories to submit my site than 1 or 2 who do this gimmick--like dmoz. My site ranks hugh without being listed on either yahoo or dmoz--- so why should I bother about them?:confused:

jhnrang, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  4. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    This is very important so listen closely. PR and serps are different and you are putting way too much stock in PR. Quality anchor links and themed content are the present, and future, of SERPs. PR helps but it is not the whole story or rankings.

Even if you only think short term, like "what will G let me get away with right now", when your phrases are all duplicates you are not hedging your bets very well. True traffic from a search engine never comes when you only focus on 1 key phrase.

Business sites that submit to business.com's web directory get higher SERPs for keywords related to "business". This makes sense. It does not make sense for a link from a ballet shop to your hunting lodge to carry much weight.

This shift in linking also makes for a glorious future in niche directories.

5. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is very important so listen closely. PR and serps are different and you are putting way too much stock in PR. Quality anchor links and themed content are the present, and future, of SERPs. PR helps but it is not the whole story or rankings.

My friend ---is it your view or views of those SEO experts who downplay the value of PR for SERPs --because they can not put hteir clients sites on top?

I think it is time I upload the exact points of Google's instructions for rankinng high.

As far as I understand understood it--there is very very close relation between between PR and SERPs ranking.

Most important----relevant contents.
    Second most important--- PR.
    Thats all and it will stay that way .

jhnrang, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    ErectADirectory likes this.
  6. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Friends--please read ---how much PR is important for SERPs ranking. Points are illustrated with red lines---happy reading

[​IMG]

jhnrang, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  7. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    PageRank is so 2000....

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  8. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Also please read the last line of the second paragraph to have a beter understanding of all that big G looks for. It is not unique contents --rather it is relevant content. So I'll never let my description --which I have made according to the theme of my site changed by some one else.

jhnrang, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Excuse me guys. I am still waiting for a reply about Originality and Unique Content which I deserve to know.

I am terribly annoyed by this whole "I am the Unique and Original" idea. Makes me wonder am I ignorant, dumb or don't know what am I doing and people on the other side are the best. I need further explanation on this. :rolleyes:

Or someone is just waiving a FLAG to catch DMOZ Editors attention. Just SPIT out your true intentions and I can help REVIEW your site before submission. I'll be glad to share a FREE or SALE REVIEW. :D

Seems my Gut Feeling is that there is some JALOSY going around on WHY IS MY SITE UNIQUE AND NOT LISTED.

popotalk, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    ! Ask ! likes this.
  10. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the official Guidelines by Google. I see no mention of any word
    UNIQUE
    What I see is relevancy and Page Rank which determines SERPs.--

Modern SEO experts advocate PR is not important--but I took this screenshot today--and Google says it is important. :confused:

Popotalk--comeon buddy--don't be naughty:D

jhnrang, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  11. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    I am still waiting for directories with original content (what the thread is all about) I think I found another 2:
    - http://sbd.bcentral.com/
    - http://directory.v7n.com/

LOLOLOLOL very funny

"Sale Review", I like this one also, very funny

Probably because people are not willing to pay for a "Sale Review" LOLOLOL

Rep added this post is really funny

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
  13. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

So, they have "sophisticated text-matching techniques" AND they examine all aspects of the "content on the pages linking to it" and you wonder what the big deal is.

No one is arguing PR's importance. We agree that PR is a piece of the pie, but not the whole thing. This arguement is about duplicate content and by what you posted you prove that they have the technology to filter this out. They are allowed to change the rules as they see fit, that is what algorithm tweaks are all about. The bomb is ticking . . .

"So I'll never let ... changed by some one else." Dude, it happens whether you approve of it or not. Don't submit if you don't like it.

14. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    You can have PR9 with no content whatsoever.

PR only gives the quantity/power of your backlinks, doesn’t give the quality/relevance/trust of your page (or content)

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought we were talking about UNIQUE Content. :rolleyes:

16. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    From: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2006/12/deftly-dealing-with-duplicate-content.html

Deftly dealing with duplicate content

Posted by Adam Lasnik

12/18/2006 02:28:00 PM
    At the recent Search Engine Strategies conference in freezing Chicago, many of us Googlers were asked questions about duplicate content. We recognize that there are many nuances and a bit of confusion on the topic, so we'd like to help set the record straight.

What is duplicate content?
    Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar. Most of the time when we see this, it's unintentional or at least not malicious in origin: forums that generate both regular and stripped-down mobile-targeted pages, store items shown (and -- worse yet -- linked) via multiple distinct URLs, and so on. In some cases, content is duplicated across domains in an attempt to manipulate search engine rankings or garner more traffic via popular or long-tail queries.

What isn't duplicate content?
    Though we do offer a handy translation utility, our algorithms won't view the same article written in English and Spanish as duplicate content. Similarly, you shouldn't worry about occasional snippets (quotes and otherwise) being flagged as duplicate content.

Why does Google care about duplicate content?
    Our users typically want to see a diverse cross-section of unique content when they do searches. In contrast, they're understandably annoyed when they see substantially the same content within a set of search results. Also, webmasters become sad when we show a complex URL (example.com/contentredir?value=shorty-george〈=en) instead of the pretty URL they prefer (example.com/en/shorty-george.htm).

What does Google do about it?
    During our crawling and when serving search results, we try hard to index and show pages with distinct information. This filtering means, for instance, that if your site has articles in "regular" and "printer" versions and neither set is blocked in robots.txt or via a noindex meta tag, we'll choose one version to list. In the rare cases in which we perceive that duplicate content may be shown with intent to manipulate our rankings and deceive our users, we'll also make appropriate adjustments in the indexing and ranking of the sites involved. However, we prefer to focus on filtering rather than ranking adjustments ... so in the vast majority of cases, the worst thing that'll befall webmasters is to see the "less desired" version of a page shown in our index.

How can Webmasters proactively address duplicate content issues?

* Block appropriately: Rather than letting our algorithms determine the "best" version of a document, you may wish to help guide us to your preferred version. For instance, if you don't want us to index the printer versions of your site's articles, disallow those directories or make use of regular expressions in your robots.txt file.
    * Use 301s: If you have restructured your site, use 301 redirects ("RedirectPermanent") in your .htaccess file to smartly redirect users, the Googlebot, and other spiders.
    * Be consistent: Endeavor to keep your internal linking consistent; don't link to /page/ and /page and /page/index.htm.
    * Use TLDs: To help us serve the most appropriate version of a document, use top level domains whenever possible to handle country-specific content. We're more likely to know that .de indicates Germany-focused content, for instance, than /de or de.example.com.
    * Syndicate carefully: If you syndicate your content on other sites, make sure they include a link back to the original article on each syndicated article. Even with that, note that we'll always show the (unblocked) version we think is most appropriate for users in each given search, which may or may not be the version you'd prefer.
    * Use the preferred domain feature of webmaster tools: If other sites link to yours using both the www and non-www version of your URLs, you can let us know which way you prefer your site to be indexed.
    * Minimize boilerplate repetition: For instance, instead of including lengthy copyright text on the bottom of every page, include a very brief summary and then link to a page with more details.
    * Avoid publishing stubs: Users don't like seeing "empty" pages, so avoid placeholders where possible. This means not publishing (or at least blocking) pages with zero reviews, no real estate listings, etc., so users (and bots) aren't subjected to a zillion instances of "Below you'll find a superb list of all the great rental opportunities in [insert cityname]..." with no actual listings.
    * Understand your CMS: Make sure you're familiar with how content is displayed on your Web site, particularly if it includes a blog, a forum, or related system that often shows the same content in multiple formats.
    * Don't worry be happy: Don't fret too much about sites that scrape (misappropriate and republish) your content. Though annoying, it's highly unlikely that such sites can negatively impact your site's presence in Google. If you do spot a case that's particularly frustrating, you are welcome to file a DMCA request to claim ownership of the content and have us deal with the rogue site.

In short, a general awareness of duplicate content issues and a few minutes of thoughtful preventative maintenance should help you to help us provide users with unique and relevant content.

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    ErectADirectory likes this.
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow--thank you Ask! for putting such a nice Article by a Googler. :D
    That only vindicate my belief that I should stick to my description and titles so that nobody can duplicate it.

Now I'll never change my description again to any number of directory submissions:D

Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar.

This a great point and clearly illustrates my point.

If somebody searches for my targetted term or key-phrase--he should only get mine and not those who tried to sduplicate my content or slightly alter my originality.

With the online world becoming a world of duplicacy--I'll never again duplicate My site description and site title again--it should be always be uniqe whereever it goes--so that no-body could duplicate my unique title and description.

Similarly, you shouldn't worry about occasional snippets (quotes and otherwise) being flagged as duplicate content.

It is very much OK with Google to have a 150-200 character to be scatered all over the net. And fortunately Directories limit description to that limit only.

During our crawling and when serving search results, we try hard to index and show pages with distinct information.

This is very good---I'll always use my own original content. ---www.ebay.com can not be duplicated by www.e-bay.com though slightly changed.
    So I'll always remain original for my own site.

* Syndicate carefully: If you syndicate your content on other sites, make sure they include a link back to the original article on each syndicated article.

Why should I duplicate my description or title? I should always remain my own ---original. I'll not change my description for anything.

Use the preferred domain feature of webmaster tools: If other sites link to yours using both the www and non-www version of your URLs, you can let us know which way you prefer your site to be indexed.

Why should I change my originality?

Bottomline---what does it mean by duplicate contents?

Is it--describing your site various ways --which are similiar? Thats duplicate.

Or is it you using the original description of your site wherever you go? That is always being original.

I think I have had enough---now I got my answeres --what is duplicate and what is original.

I know I should never change my originality by describing my site in 1000terms and 1000000 ways. I should always use one--ORIGINAL --title and description all the time.

Thanks to all ---I gain more knowledge

jhnrang, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
  19. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Contextual Advertising

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/contextual_advertising.html

examples: www.clicksor.com | www.kontera.com

Please don’t mislead less informed readers :)

BTW What this as to do with unique content :)

Also higest bid is not yours LOLOL

Now you can attack my directory with something else….

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers: