1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO of Title tag

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by shand0, Feb 16, 2007.

For 3 keywords
    Keyword1
    Keyword2
    Keyword3

is this form best for Title tag

Keyword1 | Keyword2 | Keyword3

shand0, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  2. fallstar01

fallstar01 Guest

Best Answers:
    I like the look of 1 but honestly, I'd try to rank for just 1 of those terms with a particular page and have other pages on the site rank for the other terms.

fallstar01, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  3. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    3 terms for one page is fine. I would probably go with "workout plan, program & workout routine"

Web Gazelle, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  4. fallstar01

fallstar01 Guest

Best Answers:
    3 is fine but it's much easier to get top 5(read: above the fold) with 1. Once you get that ranking, then you can add the other terms in later and it'll be much easier to rank. These terms have bodybuilding.com fitness.com webmd.com and even amazon.com in the top 10 with highly relevant pages. They aren't THAT easy.

fallstar01, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  5. kojakfilth

kojakfilth Notable Member

Best Answers:
    try Workout plan - Workout program - Workout routine

Om not sure with the difference but it works for me, My site rank in different keywords..

kojakfilth, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  6. SmokeDog

SmokeDog Peon

Best Answers:
    Those are horrible title tags...

First, you should only focus on one main keyword per page so dump the other ones and create pages around them....

Your title should be descriptive, not stuffed.

Example: Work Out Plan - Find The Right Program For You ABC Company

59 total characters (65 max) and very descriptive. Keyword always first.

SmokeDog, Feb 16, 2007 IP
    PoohBear88 likes this.
  7. stickycarrots

stickycarrots Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with what clyde66 said.

Workout plan - Workout program - Workout routine

stickycarrots, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  8. PoohBear88

PoohBear88 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.

All of you are giving horrible advice. If I saw that kind of title tag upon a search I made on Google I wouldn't click it just because of that. For all that is good and decent, make your title tags natural. If you're going to fudge the system then at least fake being natural.

Have the title tag describe what the page is about. You'll attract more visitors.

PoohBear88, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  9. jmaresca2006

jmaresca2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO is more of an art than a science. reason being, search engines dont tell you what are the best ways to optimize. Personally, I wouldnt use a title like that. I would try to write something more descriptive as opposed to just listing keywords. You can easily write some marketing copy with all 3 of your keywords in it without making it look like your stuffing.

jmaresca2006, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  10. Loud Mouth Soup

Loud Mouth Soup Peon

Best Answers:
    Count me in with the no crows on the three word title tag.

Pick the word that holds the most importance to that page, and try not to stuff too much on to one page, if possible.

SmokeDog's is the way to go.

Loud Mouth Soup, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  11. MadGenius

MadGenius Peon

Best Answers:
    This is an easy one. I have always found it to be wise to break these keywords up some.

Workout Plan | Program | Routine | Custom Work Out Plans

As long as you have good text within that page using those phrases you should do well using those title tags. IMHO.

MadGenius, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  12. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    always thought SE's read the | as a space... but hey, who am i to know this kind of stuff?!?!?

scubita, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  13. Komodo Tale

Komodo Tale Peon

Best Answers:
    First off, should you go after more than one keyword or phrase on a page? The answer is . . . . drum roll please . . . . it depends.

Three factors I look at when deciding on keyword targeting for a single html page is the ranking strength of that page, the competition for the potential key words or phrases and how naturally the potential keywords or phrases fit together.

Let’s start with the last one because it is the most obvious. Search engines look for themes on a page. You cannot simply stick a word in a HTML Head TITLE and not put it anywhere in the body then hope to rank well for that word or phrase. If I am targeting terms I want them to work well together. Dashboard Covers and Car Seat Covers are a great possibility because they often go together. Dashboard Covers and Floor Mats Work well too, but not quite as well because the first example shares a word in common. What I would not try to do is rank for combinations like soap and volcanoes using the same page because the context is so different that it would dilute my text.

Ranking strength and keyword competition have to do with competitive environment. Page strength is internal/external. Competition is external. I have pages that rank well for three major two-word key phrases. Typically they are home pages that have good strength already in place. Think of it like mounting a Navy. The United States has aircraft carrier groups all over the world. It can extend itself so far because it has the resources and the strength to do so. China, on the other hand, sticks pretty close to its own region. While China plenty strong in many areas it lacks in others and cannot extend its strength globally for long periods. Further down the line, Guatemala stays near its own shores because they lack the resources to do more than keep an eye on their own beaches.

What creates ranking strength? On-page content and the anchor text in inbound links. If your external links are strong for more than one keyword or phrase then you may be able to easily target multiple search queries. But if all the anchor text says Greatest Peruvian Guacamole Ever!, then you better stick to Peruvian Guacamole.

The second issue is marketing. You want to grab people with a compelling headline. A well-crafted TITLE element in your HTML Head can pull more visitors than the listings immediately surrounding yours because it is compelling. Which are you going to visit first? Wicked Motorcycles or Motorcycles?

Now, when you combine strength and marketing you have to make tough choices. Only so many characters are going to fit (60 to 65 in Google). So you may find it worthwhile to drop a keyword phrase in order to fit-in an adjective. Striking the right balance can be difficult. You may get a brainstorm but if you don’t write headlines all the time it can often take two to four hours to develop a great headline.

On the other hand, if your page has the strength to rank highly for three major search queries then an ugly keyword-only TITLE element may be the best way to go. People do tend to click higher ranked terms so the more terms a page ranks highly for the more visitors it will get.

I’ll put out one more concept to make it even more complicated. Using keywords in TITLEs is not always about ranking for exactly the keywords in the TITLE. Your page may not possess the strength to rank well for Car Wax, but by putting Car Wax in your TITLE element and using the term throughout your page you can increase the number high rankings for long-tail terms that include Car Wax. Some SEOs call this chasing the Fat Belly and in the right markets this can get you more visitors or better-qualified visitors than mediocre rankings for the major keywords or phrases alone.

Ultimately, it’s not about doing what everyone else does or says you should do. Generic strategies will not work. It is about assessing your particular situation, knowing your document’s strengths and weaknesses and making the correct strategic decisions for your particular situation.

Komodo Tale, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  14. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You would be one of the only people not clicking on it if that title tag ranked the site #1 in Google for any of those search terms. I personally don't use the title tag to try to draw clicks. That is where the meta description comes in. A good description with the link is what will bring the clicks. With that said I do agree that it would be a good idea to make the title tag a little more descriptive like "The best workout plan, program and routine from *sitename*".

Web Gazelle, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  15. roddick

roddick Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I hope what I will aks you is relevant to your posts. So what do you think is better for my title tags (website for hotels in different cities):
    1.Hotels in cityname, Hotel, Prices
    2.cityname Hotels, Hotel in cityname, Prices
    3.Hotels in cityname, cityname Hotel, Prices, Accomodation
    On every page I have under every hotel the cityname (20 hotels per page), is it better to mention it not so much?
    And one more thing:
    for the hotels in every city I have a subdomain like cityname.domain.com
    Is it better when I make it cityname.domain.com/cityname.html f.e.?
    My site is in bulgarian, that's why I didn't mention the url :)
    10x in advance!

roddick, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  16. Searchnology.com

Searchnology.com Peon

Best Answers:
    The "pipes" work well though they aren't natural. The idea to remember is that the words mentioned first are given the most weight and more keywords dilute the title tag all together. So if you write a natural description you will have extra words that will dilute your real keywords. This is similar to what someone has already mentioned about keeping a narrow focus.

Searchnology.com, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  17. guia

guia Banned

Best Answers:
    guia, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  18. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    Three words for your title would be ok but create your title in a way that may not look keyword spamming.

Janna122003, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  19. socialhuman

socialhuman Peon

Best Answers:
    Title tag should briefly describe what your page is about. Keywords should be included in this description in a natural way. This is easier if the all the keywords focus on a narrow topic. For example, a sales page for golf equipment could have a title tag like:
    <title>Quality Golf Balls, Golf Clubs and Everything Else for Golf</title>

socialhuman, Feb 17, 2007 IP
  20. SeLFiE

SeLFiE Banned

Best Answers:
    Three keywords used on your title seems fine...though i don't recommend to have a title that consist only those keywords...make it descriptive and unique...

SeLFiE, Feb 17, 2007 IP