1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Keyword List a Sham?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Kiasuman, Jul 10, 2005.

I've obtained a keyword list from googlest.com.

I think most of you are aware that the top keywords are webhosting, domains, lawsuits, meth, lemon law related...

I decided to test to see if is really a reality that someone is willing to spend up to $520 for a click.

I chose to go with "lemon law" which has one of the most appearances at the top 100.

I've also made sure 90% of my ads are lemon law related.

So currently I stand, 18 clicks and how much earned? $1.67. That's less than 10cents each.

Any thoughts?

Kiasuman, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  2. tomecki

tomecki Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think that is a sham. I have tested this keyword at google adwords. Third position is for more than 100$, next position is for about 50$ - third $10 and most are for 3$. So if you will try think you will get to the point that somebody who gives that amount of money simply rejects content and use only search engine. And they can filter sities also. And google takes a lot of this amount.

tomecki, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  3. Kiasuman

Kiasuman Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say it's a total sham, true the TOP position keywords do cost that much, but the step up from say 4th position to 1st position is drastic. For example:

keyword ***

1st: $100
    2nd: $40
    3rd: $10
    4th: $2
    5th: $.80

The chances of getting top clicks are very rare. The average CPC $ for example, Lemon Law @ "$66.15", is totally crap. I have raked in more than 20 clicks now, and each clicks are getting around $.05.

Kiasuman, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  4. freakrot

freakrot Peon

Best Answers:
    And just because a keyword has a high payout, doesn't mean you will get those ads. Those advertisers might be targetting search results only, and not content sites.

freakrot, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  5. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    I do not see the point of keyword lists.

• You will never get the full amount listed

• If you go with the top paying you will be sandboxed, so your site would have to be a good resource on whatever subject the keyword is to get out of the sandbox

• Making a site based on a keyword is making a site for adSense (against TOS)

• Making a site based on a keyword is not making a site about something you know / love, so is not going to be as good a site as one made about a subject you do know and love.

• A site made for a top paying keyword is going to be competing against a 100 other sites chasing after that very same keyword.

Well, that's my thoughts on the matter :) Think about the site first, keywords + ads second.

Critters, Jul 11, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  6. Kiasuman

Kiasuman Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not making a site just for Adsense, was just testing to see what's the fuss all about. Was just an additional link from my index page.

I have already taken down my Lemon Law page and am sticking with my original content.

7. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    Didn't say you were, its just my take on the whole keyword list thing :)

Critters, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I haven't put up any pages specifically to chase keywords, but I have noticed that for the couple of pages I could tell what the keywords were, the payouts were much less than what is listed at adwords.

Being an adwords advertiser myself, I noticed pretty quickly that my money was getting eaten up by sites during times when my customers wouldn't be surfing. That led me to using just the search engines for a while, then having separate campaigns for adsense sites and turning off ads during certain times of day. People who are paying more than $2/click are watching what's going on for the most part and will do what they need to do to reduce their costs. There are exceptions, but they certainly aren't every word on a paid keywords list.

Also, I think there's been some speculation that the higher your PR, the higher your commission, but I don't know whether that was proven, invalidated, or if it's still just a theory.

nevetS, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  9. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    That's interesting, I've not heard heard that rumour but if true could make PR very important again. I remember Shawn speculating about SERP positioning being related to payout rate but I don't think that was ever proven one way or the other.

dct, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  10. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:

I am convinced of this! There are a lot of factors needed to test this, but I am convinced that this holds true! I have tried many sites, many pages and all the high PR pages brought in more cash.

TooHappy, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  11. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with all of these points except the last one....make that 1000+ other competing sites.

MattL, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  12. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The bigger problem is that you are making sites just to get adsense ads to show up. Make sites on a good topic, and the adsense money will come later on. Throwing up made for adsense sites/pages is just about the same thing as spam.

lorien1973, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  13. Kiasuman

Kiasuman Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said, I was only trying to see what the fuss is all about. I already have well established websites with very good content.

Anyways, look what i found:

http://search.ebay.com/adsense_W0QQfromZR40QQsojsZ1

14. TopSpin

TopSpin Peon

Best Answers:
    Freakrot is definitely on to something... I don't think most of the really high paying keywords are interested in showing up under content-site-match-ads... they are interested in the search results and you really can't test those keywords with search results as it would be a massive violation of 'da rules'.

TopSpin, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  15. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most people forget, that there is a HUGE difference between the maximum bid and the bid amount you actually pay as an advertiser. I looked at the keyword list one time. And a word I wanted to bid on was on there. It was ~$10 as listed - which is what google suggested you bid it at. But when you bought the ad, in reality, you only paid about ~$1 for the click. So, while its listed as a high paying word on the list, it really isn't. Too many people don't realize that the "high paying" keywords is just a list, not reality.

lorien1973, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  16. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most definately. I only run my own Adwords campaigns on search, never content.

MattL, Jul 11, 2005 IP