1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword "On Hold" Before Campaign Begins

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by swoop, Jul 10, 2005.

I found a single keyword that might bring some traffic to my site, but Google says that keyword is "On hold" even before I begin the campaign. Too bad, because I think it could bring quite a bit of traffic at only 5 cents a click.

For very-small-time Adwords users like me, is there a "higher authority" I can appeal to? Or, some other way to get the word set to Normal status?

swoop, Jul 10, 2005 IP
    smindsrt likes this.
  2. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    Things may not be so bad as I thought. I see that the single word already has received a dozen impressions in spite of being "On Hold," so the ads are running. Now I'm hoping for some clicks!

swoop, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  3. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    That darn Google is smarter than I thought! In about 22 hours my one-word keyword has had 640 impressions, average position 2.8, and......zero clicks. It's not nearly so attractive to viewers as it was to me :(

swoop, Jul 11, 2005 IP
  4. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    You better watch out, once it reaches 1000 impressions without a click it will be disabled....permanently, and there will be no way you can ever use that keyword again :( .

The reason Google had it on hold initialy was because they thought the price you were bidding would not be enough to get a decent click through rate, sadly it looks like they were right.

Cyclops, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Using different capitalization still works though :cool:

yfs1, Jul 12, 2005 IP
    Cyclops likes this.
  6. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I noticed that...and it's not supposed to;)

Cyclops, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I saw someone post that it had been disabled but I kept my mouth shut as I didn't want to make a big noticeable thing about it.

It has worked steadily for for the last 6 months ;)

yfs1, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  8. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    :D Well I won't mention it again.....only about 6 lucky people will read this thread :cool:

Cyclops, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  9. jazio

jazio Guest

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem,
    I have carefully selected reelvant keywords to my company and trust me they put all of them on hold and no ads is running live. Believe me people I took in consideration the fact tat relevancy to the user is a must. despite the latter, all of my keyuwords are put on hold.

with Overture I used the same keywords and my ads are running beautifully.
    I guess that says much about greedy firms that contradict what they say.
    there goes google's integrity. Sonner or later more and more poeple like me will be voicing their dissatifaction and down goes google... like they say what
    goes up must come down.

jazio, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  10. timbo

timbo Peon

Best Answers:
    You may find that if you are bidding on high demand keywords, you will often have to wait for "advertising space" to become available. Google uses both your CTR and your bid price to determine your position so if you don't yet have any clicks your bid price is the only determinant.

timbo, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  11. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    There is absolutely no point bidding 5 cents on a keyword where the top bids are $1+.
    If you can't bid enough to get on the first page you are wasting your time and money. People who click on the paid ads after the first page aren't qualified, they are just surfing.

I maintain that position #3 to #5 is the spot to be in, followed by #6 to #8 then #9/10.
    Add to that #4 can come at a significant discount to #1 saving a lot of money.

I try and slot in around #8 to start and if I stay on the first page for a few days I start to bid a little bit more until I get into #5.......after that if I achieve a decent click through rate Google will move me up anyway.

I notice the people in the #1 to #3 positions generally disappear after a few days, usually never to be seen again. Unfortunately someone else always pays up to take their place which continues to push up the bids.

Cyclops, Jul 15, 2005 IP