1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the difference between SSL Certificates?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Nestrer, Feb 11, 2007.

I find there're a lot of SSL Certificates priced from $10+ to $1000+

But what's the difference?

Thanks

Nestrer, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  2. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously, cost is a difference. Are there not also differences in the degree to which a site is being certified?

I use the GoDaddy certifcates for my websites and I do not have problems. This is for ordinary display of SSL pages for the user interface sections of the wesbite. With the certificate, the traffic is encrypted. This works good for areas of the wesbite where users might be changing passwords and entering ordinary account information, such as addresses.

On the other hand, if I were a credit card processing intermediary, I might be looking at something from an entity which goes to more trouble to verify me and my site . . . almost like being vetted by a security company.

I also believe, all the lowest cost certificates only cover one domain. I need to buy separate ones for each domain I control. If I want to have one covering all my domains, I pay more for one which certifies me and allows me to change the domains covered by the certificate.

clancey, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  3. Nestrer

Nestrer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but are there any difference in the degree of security?

Nestrer, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  4. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    If you mean the amount of encryption, then I would say no. They all seem to offer up to 256 bit encryption.

If you mean security in terms of the degree of trust someone can have about your site, then there may be differences for people are really knowledgeable about these things.

clancey, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    Nestrer likes this.
  5. plumsauce

plumsauce Peon

Best Answers:
    The usual difference is in the statement of practices, the fine print behind the certificate. Almost nobody clicks through to read them. Except me.

Even then, I don't really care. I just want to look at how the ssl certificate scam could be worth so much money. Owning a root certificate that is embedded in a browser is like having a license to print money.

The bottom line is to buy the cheapest certificate possible that is also compatible with the usual browsers.

plumsauce, Feb 14, 2007 IP
    Nestrer likes this.
  6. scdc

scdc Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it possible to make test certificate just to verify web-site functionality before buy real one ?

scdc, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  7. ZestNetwork

ZestNetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, sign/make your own SSL certificate.

ZestNetwork, Feb 17, 2007 IP
  8. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, there's difference in security...thats why every seller as different levels of warranties like fropm $1000 to $100000

You can make your own certificate as well but who'll trust it?

inworx, Mar 1, 2007 IP