1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Never Use Joomla!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by ztyler90, Feb 11, 2007.

I had used Joomla for about one month until i switched to a different content management system. I would not use Joomla because it's impossible to get what you want done. It's also hard to understand where to put code inside the template because all the templates are set up differently.

ztyler90, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Fair enough :) Although it's fairly simple to use out of the box, it can be a tough cookie to crack if you don't have the head for it and want Joomla to perform certain tricks...

It's not impossible, though... I had a Joomla site which was tricky to customise but a breeze to operate once it got rolling...

Just out of interest, which CMS did you go to?

Lever, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  3. mopacity

mopacity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on the person itself.Joomla is one big cookie, so it might be a little confusing at first.

mopacity, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  4. ravianz

ravianz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it may be bit difficult to start with Joomla but once you are done, its amazing thing

ravianz, Feb 12, 2007 IP
    Lever likes this.
  5. cpucandy

cpucandy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think their is a place for Joomla, Mambo, Wordpress, etc.. Each one of them has some sort of learning curve. Don't be mistaken, Joomla is a very powerful CMS system, you just need to decide if it's worth the effort to learn it or maybe go with something a little scaled back to suit your needs.

cpucandy, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  6. skyjuice

skyjuice Peon

Best Answers:
    @ztyler90 : actually you need to have a little bit brief about what is joomla

and joomla.org already provided their manual where you can download it from here http://help.joomla.org/

actually it depends what type of website you build? blog? news website? hotel reservation website all depends on what you need

btw Joomla is Noob friendly and is easy to customize

skyjuice, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  7. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    im trying out joomla for the first time on my wifes candle hobby,and its kicking my ass!I just got a template and the img gallery and cant figure out how to get pictures on the site wher i need them..am willing to pay somone to help me with this,and maybe customise the template a little..site is http://www.candledelights.info
    PM me if interested

templates, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  8. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to wonder what CMS you decided to use? Yes Joomla is a little overwelming at first but it does many things. What specifically is the gripe and how did the CMS you chose resolve that issue?

reapr, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  9. pr0xy122

pr0xy122 Peon

Best Answers:
    wanting to know the same too, thanks.

pr0xy122, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  10. C4supplements

C4supplements Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am using joomla for a new pet-related site and I find it very easy to use. I imagine this is because I don't need to do anything too complicated. I have heard that this is common for joomla, simple enough for a newbie like me but sticky for the technical customizer to use easily.

C4supplements, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  11. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love joomla for it's flexibility. I've got it running on several affiliate and adsense sites now and that platform allows me to make very good money :)

jeeplaw, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  12. LeetPCUser

LeetPCUser Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is very easy to understand if you have fully read the manual and toyed around with it. I will admit it is quite hard to understand initially, but after you get the hang of it it is a blast. Besides, a good website doesn't use a CMS.

LeetPCUser, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  13. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! What is your qualifier for that statement? So by default, any website that utilizes a cms is poor by design? I just wanted to make sure I understood your point.

jeeplaw, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    Lever likes this.
  14. LeetPCUser

LeetPCUser Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not necessarily a bad design. I have seen some that mask CMS's quite well. It however is not a good site because it does not properly utilize SEO and validation. If it was SEO friendly and validated 100%, which most CMS's don't do, then it would be a good site. I have seen a few that do this however.

LeetPCUser, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  15. fistofpeanuts

fistofpeanuts Peon

Best Answers:
    I used mambo and then joomla ... I've been a freelancer doing cms work for a while now and I would use mambo / joomla only for customers who need an easy to operate backend... graphically that is ... it's user friendly ...

For my own projects I only use drupal (www.drupal.org) or wordpress ... I use drupal because the code is REALLY clean and it's programmed 100 times better than joomla ... drupal is real quality and it's seo friendly ...

Only minus is that the learning curve is steep if you don't know PHP ..

FOP

fistofpeanuts, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  16. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Joomla is popular because it is a one-click install in most hosting control panel, but really tedious if you have no a previously-designed website plan :rolleyes:

Pat Gael, Feb 14, 2007 IP