1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VPS or dedicated who has a good recommendation

Discussion in 'General Business' started by debunked, Feb 13, 2007.

I am in need of either using a VPS or dedicated server. I don't want to spend a fortune since the sites being hosted don't use a lot of resources, but we have to get off the shared accounts fast.

Anyone have some good experiences with their hosting that is either VPS or dedicated that isn't too expensive? I am hoping for under $100 a month for everything I need.

debunked, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    Will.Spencer and Toopac like this.
  2. timw

timw Peon

Best Answers:
    I might have exactly what you need - PM me further requirements and I'll see what I can offer you! :)

timw, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  3. edzachary

edzachary Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have both VPS and dedicated. I see advantages to both, depending upon the situation. My main site is dedicated and my smaller sites are on VPS. Guess it just depends on what you want to do.

edzachary, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  4. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And who are you using and how has the service been?

Thank you for your input.

Will.Spencer likes this.
  5. romance

romance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use servint for my vps hosting, very reliable and 24/7 phone and email support., been with them about 18 months. they email you well in advance for any downtime and its normally only a few mins. I have a few db heavy sites which would get chucked off a shared host in 5 mins so they are great if you require root access. They'll install libraries etc for you if you ask them.

the other advantage of getting a vps is that most are managed from a security and installation perspective but let you tweak under the hood if need be. One of the things which scares me about a dedicated server is making sure that ports are closed , hotfixes etc. I know you can get server management services but it ends up being pricey and vps does what I need for a lot less, plus with easy upgrade path.

romance, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  6. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    i would recommend servint, $49/month for there smallest vps (10gb space/300gb bandwidth) also it is fully managed.

just-4-teens, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  7. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Never had a problem with Prohosters.Excellent packages and easy upgrades.

MKInfo, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  8. MrX

MrX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Servint is the way to go...they have a $50/month VPS and a $90/month VPS. If you're doing a lot of database heavy stuff, go with the $90. www.servint.com

MrX, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  9. clade

clade Peon

Best Answers:
    Hostgator.com in my humble opinion, I have tried all of them but HG proves to be the best of them. I was with inmotionhosting.com, iweb.ca both were good but HG was really better off for me. I'd say that HG is the second best host after RackSpace.

clade, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  10. Blotch

Blotch Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been with futurehosting.biz for a while now and I've been pretty happy. Excellent pricing for their service.

Blotch, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  11. carl_in_florida

carl_in_florida Active Member

Best Answers:
    Slhost is the best I have been with!

http://slhost.com

can't praise their tech support enough!

carl_in_florida, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  12. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you don't need lots of resources grab a VPS.

I use a $40 VPS from HostForWeb and over 2+ years service has been great. Full root, WHM, cPanel, etc. for $40/mo.

Tekime, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  13. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    wow! Thanks for the info. I did some research on the ones listed here and servint.com is sounding right for me. Sounds like the have a good history with many people for a VPS.

slhost does not do a good job at letting you know what there server comes with or the control panel can do....

thank you all

carl_in_florida likes this.
  14. carl_in_florida

Best Answers:
    I have heard lots of good things about servint.

I am pretty sure they all use virtuozzo to create the virtual space (anyone know of a different ap for that?)

When you sign up for a vps you get to pick which control panel you want. If you sign up with a host that only has one and tells you what you can do with it run far, far away.

I use CPanel though I should use a different one for resource purposes but CPAnel and WHM is so easy to use.

Good luck!

15. digital_sc4rz

digital_sc4rz Guest

Best Answers:
    Try knownhost for vps's www.knownhost.com ;)

digital_sc4rz, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  16. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had a horrid experience with VPS and could not get off it fast enough and get a dedicated!

VPS is generally like getting a very very low end server and in most cases, if you are not happy with shared hosting a VPS will in fact be a step backwards.

If you have a site that uses a reasonable amount of resources or even a database powered site a VPS will probably be outgrown in short order.

A question to ask yourself - is it worth the trouble of moving to a VPS, setting it all up so it works as you want only to find that you need to move to a dedicated in a couple of months?

If you have the funds to cover a dedicated ( and you can start from under $100/mth) don't bother with a VPS.

RRWH, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  17. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

Woah, I don't know where you got your VPS but I have over 100k uniques, dozens of domains, and plenty of DBs on just one VPS and it still has some room to spare. Plus full root and WHM+cPanel for $100 less than a dedicated, I'd say it's a really good idea to consider. Unless you want throw that $100 away.

Tekime, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  18. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, I did have a bad experience with a VPS, but still, a VPS will give you an amount of disk, an amount of RAM and a % of the overall CPU of the main server.

Now, if you are resource hungry - and remember that CPanel alone really needs about 190Meg of RAM just to run reasonably, then I stand by my statement that a VPS is probably not for you.

Where I see a VPS in the overall scheme of things is that you need more control than what shared hosting has to offer - you want to be able to install your own software and you don't have huge resource requirements.

That being said, a VPS only met my requirements for a few months before I needed a lot more than one could provide - Well, I could have upgraded the VPS, but it would have cost more than a dedicated to get the resources I needed.

It really comes down to what you are looking for.

RRWH, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  19. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Indeed, it's all about what you are looking for. "Huge" is a relative statement of course.

Although a good VPS provider sets resource limits as guaranteed minimums, not maximums. Many providers will overcrowd their server, but ideally, and I suppose in my case, you will have a Dual Xeon with 12GB RAM as your max. Which is more preferable to me than having a budget dedicated server if the VPS isn't crowded.

Tekime, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  20. carl_in_florida

Best Answers:
    I have to agree here. I get over 750k uniques with 3x that in pv and my VPS is doing me fine.

I don't do this just to pay server costs.