1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whois protection/correct whois details

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Theozard, Feb 12, 2007.

One of the reasons i wanted to shift to namecheap was because of the whois protection thing. Now here is my question - how important is it to have correct details in the whois anyway?I have seen pretty big sites also having incorrect details

Theozard, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  2. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on your personal preference, if you want to hide your personal information you should go for private registration paying extra charges.

bobchrist, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  3. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are using Private WhoIs, I don't see an issue in providing accurate details as it may be necessary in establishing you as the owner especially when the domain name comes into dispute.

eddy2099, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  4. Theozard

Theozard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any harm of typing the wrong information?? Why take private registration? Is there anyharm on revealing your actual information?

Theozard, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  5. sandrodz

sandrodz Peon

Best Answers:
    they ask for money for private whois? that's a free feature... damn :)

sandrodz, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  6. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    The WHOIS is proof of ownership. If you put in fake info you can't prove its yours. What if you lose your email address or registration password, if someone steals the domains or you accidentally let the registration expire. How do you prove its yours to get assistance from the registrar? It is against ICANN policy to have fake information. If someone complains to the registrar and you don't correct it you could lose your domain.

tobycoke, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I never use fake info in my Whois, I don't see a reason to go against the ICANN policy. If there are personal sites I do not want people to bother me then I use a Private WhoIs and for my business sites, I just list my PO Box number in there.

Not everyone searches the Whois when dealing with you but if they do, they may just be doing their due diligence in certifying that you are not a fly-by-night operation. Of course, I do get a few advertising snail mail each here but all I need to do is to junk those when they arrive if I am not into them.

8. Snout

Snout Peon

Best Answers:
    Its against the registration policy but no one checks if the information is real or fake. Registrars will not call your phone number or send a postcard just to verify you.

If you run a serious website, you better put your real info. Someone might offer you some kind of deal or a job but before doing that, he might check the details, make sure your business can be trusted. Fake details will scare away the person, show you untrustworthy and your business might miss a valuable partner or an important deal.

A problem with fake whois details might occur if the website is involved in some illegal action. A complaint might make the registar look into your details, maybe contact you by phone and ask for explanations. Fake phone might lead to domain suspension, as you can guess. Although they contact by email first.

Just showing examples, its your choice.

Snout, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    eddy2099 likes this.
  9. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    Except Registerfly full time and occasional promotions at Godaddy, all other domain registrars charge you for whois privacy.

The only exception to the rule is US domains which does not support privacy for obvious national safety reasons.

Your Content, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  10. sandrodz

sandrodz Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't... I mean... okay never mind :)

I've a domain registration service myself, its a free service from ICANN, but some companies do charge small fees and make money on free stuff :)

sandrodz, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  11. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, with the profits from domain names being relatively small, I guess Domain Name Registrars just need to find creative ways in maximizing profits. I don't blame them for doing so, afterall a couple of dollars a year for what they offer isn't really much.

12. Theozard

Theozard Active Member

Best Answers:
    but apart from the fact that people jus might bother you, is there any other downside to giving the right whois details?

Theozard, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  13. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    No, there isn't. There are a lot of upside to providing real information though. Real Information gives your visitors and customers a sense of security that they are dealing with a real and honest person.

Fake details just shows that you have something you are hiding and people tend to distrust such behavior. Would you trust a dishonest person or someone who hides their identity or pretend to be someone else ?

14. Theozard

Theozard Active Member

Best Answers:
    exactly what i use to wonder man...it's really strange why people fake the information..and because they do i thought there might be some reason behind that

Theozard, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  15. PSU

PSU Peon

Best Answers:
    With goDaddy you can get private domain registration for about $7 a year - seems worth it to me to not have phone number & address in whois. They put in DomainsByProxy's address/phone instead.

PSU, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  16. Theozard

Theozard Active Member

Best Answers:
    why go for that when you have namecheap for free :)

Theozard, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  17. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    eddy2099, Feb 25, 2007 IP