1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

database backup

Discussion in 'PHP' started by klown, Feb 11, 2007.

Ok I just finished creating a large new admin system for my company.. the information needs to be backed up on a continual basis (since it deals with sales inquiries)

I'd like to set it up to download all new inquiries and all updates within the last 24 hours once per 24 hours to a local server and 2 online servers.

I assume i do this though a curl script, I was just wondering if anybody knows of a system in place that can quickly accomplish this..

I would guess I'll get around 500-600 changes and new inquiries per day.

Depending on how fast this could be I guess I could go down from 24 hours a day to every hour?

klown, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  2. phper

phper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Set up a cron job that executes mysqldump (assuming you're using MySQL).
    Run 'man mysqldump' or look for the documentation on mysql's website for more info.

phper, Feb 11, 2007 IP
    klown likes this.
  3. krakjoe

krakjoe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll need to write custom code to do that I think, are you wantin t replicate the dtabase on another server, or only keep the data ?

krakjoe, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  4. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd have the admin system on multiple servers so it would need to update the databases on the non-main servers once per day or more often if its not a server lag. The reasoning behind this is that if one of the servers is down my sales people can just switch to a different domain. It needs to update the data on the other databases. It doesnt seem like the code would be too difficult to make if i had to code it from scratch.. All the inserts already have a field for datetime modified.

It also would need to download a update sheet to my local machine once per day, and maybe make a full download once per month. Though the very last one could be manual.

klown, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  5. phper

phper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry I misunderstood what you want to achieve here.

What you're after is not that simple if you want to code it yourself. Coding this yourself, you'd need to keep track of what was last updated to the "slave" server(s), and since the last update there may already be rows inserted, deleted, updated, or even database schema changed, etc. On top of that, there are numerous potential network and synchronisation errors.

Luckily, there is already an existing system that does all the hard work for you. Do some research on "mysql replication". It gets updates from the database log files.

phper, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  6. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    that sounds interesting .. i prefer to use an existing system if it exists .. database schema wont be changed though.. and i already have datetime fields on all the inserts that need to be updated, so maybe i should just make a solution myself.

klown, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  7. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with phper: it's those little edge cases where people end up using separate databases at the same time that you're going to get into a world of pain.

I'd either suggest using the enterprise tools that exist or maybe go the other way and virtualise your server over a number of computers...

TwistMyArm, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  8. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    We will only use one of the servers most of the time, and use another server if we lose the main server.

It looks like I'll have to hard code everything but it shouldn't be too bad.

klown, Feb 12, 2007 IP