1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can someone help me with my e-book sales page?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by powwka, Feb 9, 2007.

Ok so I've worked pretty hard on this ebook, but now I need some help selling it. I got the idea seeing all of the World of Warcraft leveling/gold making guides on Clickbank. So I decided to make a guide for a different game, one that nobody else has made a guide for.
    That game is Halo 2, and it has sold over 6.5 million copies I believe. It's very popular, and hundreds of thousands of people play it each day.

So I know a ton about the game, but not very much about marketing or designing a sales page. This is what I came up with yesterday - http://www.halo2levelup.com
    I started an AdWords campaign, I've only gotten 8 clicks so far and no sales :(
    I didn't really know what to write on the page, I did one testimonial and I felt stupid making something up :eek:

What should I do?!?!?!:D

powwka, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  2. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    mad4, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  3. RayH

RayH Peon

Best Answers:
    mad4 gave a great example of sales copy for someone that is highly respected in the ebook industry. However I disagree with this approach for one reason: It's a game.

Your goal is to market to the gaming community, one which likely wouldn't give a long sales copy page half of the attention that it deserved regardless of how good your product is.

If you really want to make your ebook successful, this is what I would do:

1. Hire the services of a graphics designer to develop a single page layout that will impress someone from the gaming industry the very first time that they saw it. That first impression/impact is everything. A flash animation or something similar somewhere dominant on the page would really impress.

2. Your sales page should have a few teasers on it and luckily for your ebook that would likely be easy. Short low-res video shots that hint at some of the secrets and surrounded by text that support them would really pull people in.

3. I looked at the page, don't list anything about the price yet. In fact you have a couple options to think of such as selling outright or requesting opt-ins that you could later use for other game guides or products.

4. For advertising, you have a ton of free resources at your disposal such as forums, link exchanges, etc. There are secrets to what things work and what things don't so you'd want to do some research but I'll give you a few quick hints: SEO, articles, forums, and ESPECIALLY social bookmarking, small video clips would give you some great opportunities to get traffic via Myspace, Youtube, etc.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. You should think big impact for the initial impression and you should also think long-term goals, because you have a lot of potential here to create even more books on more games and become an "authority" of sorts if you include genuine content in your books.

The key for your success here is genuine quality content. Make sure it's the best product that you can put out because the real potential is in the book after that, the one after that, etc.

Good luck and PM me if you want more info.

RayH, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  4. nizzam

nizzam Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think you should promote your website hardly.
    you have to:
    1) submit your site to directories as many as you can.
    2) submit your site to social bookmarking sites.
    3) put your signature in the forum ( you are doing that)
    4) do link exchange with the related sites as yours
    5) Submit your site to as many search engines as you can
    6) Make sure you don't have broken links on your site! There is nothing more annoying when one clicks a link and it does not work. There are hundreds of places you can go on the internet that will check your link validity. Use them.
    7) Make sure your META TAGS are done right.

then traffic will increase.

nizzam, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  5. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a great example. However, I prefer something shorter :)

A lot of users do not like a heavy content page..

KC TAN, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  6. powwka

powwka Peon

Best Answers:
    Now I'm considering putting the guide onto the site in HTML format and just putting ads on it, instead of trying to sell it.

Nizzam, those thing would help me get traffic, but if the traffic won't buy the product then it's useless. That's why I'm using PPC to see if anyone will buy it.

RayH, those are some good ideas. I was thinking as sort of a teaser I could make a montage of me playing, showing only the best kills, so that would make them know it's legit, right?
    I was thinking about the mailing list thing, but I'm so bad at programming I didn't even want to try setting that up.

powwka, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  7. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would have suggested the same!

If you want to create shorter one... feel free to do so, but make sure you have those two last lines also in your page.

Good luck with it

Game Producer, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  8. Megadeals

Megadeals Peon

Best Answers:
    you might want to try getting your ebook into Clickbank and let other sites send you traffic.

Megadeals, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  9. RayH

RayH Peon

Best Answers:
    It's ultimately up to you whether to go the free HTML route or charge for an ebook. If you think the book is good, then charge for it. If you feel that you're just copying stuff that is easily found elsewhere then I'd offer it for free. But I get the impression that it has some value. I guess another good question is this: Are you good at Halo2 because you have natural skills or are you a noticeably better player because you discovered the secrets in your book and applied them? That should hopefully help you decide.

The teasers would definately be powerful, make no mistake about it. They would be a great selling point and yes they could help a great deal in showing some legitimacy of your book.

I'd go with the mailing list as well, it's not hard at all so don't sweat it. You simply subscribe to a service where it's all plug and play. It even creates the code to add a form to your website for you automatically. The hardest thing (which isn't even that hard) is writing email messages that would automatically go to your mailing list members.

RayH, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  10. AnaB

AnaB Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not in the game niche..but, I'll give you my impressions of your sales page.

Your sales copy is distracting to me. I don't know what you want me to do? Look at the picturs on the side? click links on top?

Rule #1 avoid all distractions in sales copy.

Your testimonial needs to be more prominent..who's Brian..why do I care? Give his full name at the end including what city/country he's from...pictures would be much nicer as well

You don't really have much of a call to action..I mean, yeah I see the paypal button there BUT you need to make me want to click it.

Your ending is non existent...remind me of the benefits of me buying your guide.

You'd also want to change the colors of your page. Your background distracts me.

Use a different font..it's kind of hard to read

Your sales letter is too logical for me..I mean yeah, I can get to level two.but what'll it do for me? Sell the dream, not the product

You don't tell me your product will make things easy for me..you imply it will..but you don't say it..

Goodluck,
    - Ana

AnaB, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  11. moneyspeaks

moneyspeaks Peon

Best Answers:
    isn't halo 2 old now?? they haven't made any halo for xbox 360 have they?? I can't imagine the game could stay that popular with everything new coming out like gears of war, but I guess its still pop.

moneyspeaks, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  12. powwka

powwka Peon

Best Answers:
    No new Halos yet... I think it's a couple years old now.
    Check the stats on this page - http://www.bungie.net/stats/ and look at the unique players in the last 24 hours.

Also I just changed the homepage to see if it works better with AdSense and showing the guide for free... I didn't want to put the whole guide up though.

powwka, Feb 10, 2007 IP