1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Questions about VPS for a proxy!

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Firegirl, Feb 7, 2007.

Hello,

First off, I apologize for newbie questions, but I am new to some of this. I am thinking of creating a CGI script proxy site that will allow people to log into MySpace, etc. I have been looking at doing a VPS, but have some questions.

1. What OS should I use for a CGI proxy site?

2. I'm assuming that since I'm a noob I should have a managed VPS, correct?

3. Is Cpanel easy to figure out?

4. Does email accounts come with a VPS like regular shared hosting does?

5. Should I purchase an SSL to make the server secured? I have seen some errors when trying to login to a site through proxy, with CGI proxy, and I think it has to do with this, but I could be wrong!

6. Does most hosting companies allow you to host more than one site on your VPS?

Yes, again I realize these are some pretty noob questions for some of you, but I have to start and learn somewhere so any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Firegirl, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  2. livewirerules

livewirerules Active Member

Best Answers:
    most of the VPS dont allow proxies

livewirerules, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  3. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I found a company that will allow a proxy on a VPS. But I have these questions before I purchased. Anyone?

Firegirl, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  4. Brokentwo

Brokentwo Peon

Best Answers:
    1. What OS should I use for a CGI proxy site?

Use a linux distro, I have personally used CentOs, Fedora, and Red Hat Enterprise -- all with cPanel.

2. I'm assuming that since I'm a noob I should have a managed VPS, correct?

Yes and no. You could get away with unamanged if you had someone initially setup the VPS for you. PM me. ;)

3. Is Cpanel easy to figure out?

Once again, yes and no. WHM is an amazing piece of software and it makes it easy for the experienced, but it may be a little overwhelming to new users. You'll get used to it. Just don't go clicking on everything wondering what it does.. Heh. ;)

cPanel is pretty easy to figure out.

4. Does email accounts come with a VPS like regular shared hosting does?

Yes.

5. Should I purchase an SSL to make the server secured? I have seen some errors when trying to login to a site through proxy, with CGI proxy, and I think it has to do with this, but I could be wrong!

You can actually generate your own SSL cert for any domain name on your server... Free. ;) But it will ask the user if they want to accept the SSL cert (and say it's not signed -- or something of that nature) or not. That's the only downside to it, users may get scared...

6. Does most hosting companies allow you to host more than one site on your VPS?

You can host as many sites as your resources will allow you. That could be 10 to 1,000. It just depends on site traffic and the power of your VPS.

Brokentwo, Feb 7, 2007 IP
    Firegirl likes this.
  5. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much Brokentwo for the information, very helpful. Rep will be added!

Firegirl, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  6. awesomehosting

awesomehosting Banned

Best Answers:
    I have read alot about proxys on the forum however what is the down side ? Is there one ? besides high bandwidth and CPU usage ? As surfers are using your IP are their legal implications ?

awesomehosting, Feb 26, 2007 IP