1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I WANT my site to REPLACE DMOZ.

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Robert Allen, Feb 7, 2007.

Hi,

I am posting regarding DMOZ and the poor success that they have. I have created a directory similar to DMOZ, just without marketing and loads of advertising in which they invested. I am relying on forums like this to express my views, as it is virtually impossible for me to have a big marketing on 1000's of sites.

1. It has a directory, which is updated daily by myself.
    2. I have released the database information to the public for free WITHOUT attrition required. (Which is different to ODP which has attition or ELSE)
    3. It has a dedicated webmaster area (WIP).
    4. It has forums (well, i havn't offically released them, but they are at /bb/ in case someone wants to join). (WIP)

The database section is updated every sunday with a database update. It will contain all the links before and the new ones. We have had no problems with the database's so far. Currently there is around 6,200 in the latest and first database release. Basically you overwrite the existing database information every week, or if your lazy, wait a few weeks or maybe monthly with the new releases. So far, i have found it error-free, but i have classed it as a beta as it isn't 100% complete and there is STILL some work to do.

Here is the webmaster area: http://webmaster.paidpaid.info
    Here is the directory: http://www.paidpaid.info
    Here is the forums: http://www.paidpaid.info/bb/ (not offically released yet, as you can see)

As you can see, it is a WIP, i only started a revamp 5 days ago, and so far i have changed everything except the database layout. The great thing i personally like is that i use phpLD, so my database can be used with the popular software. Which in thoery should get any links added to paidpaid on many other directorys.

I was wondering if anyone had any marketting suggestions, site suggestions or anything of any value to add.

We are currently not big enough to allow co-editors, but they will be added when we start exceeding 100link submissions/day. (We are edging towards 60-75/day at the moment, so it won't be long!) When we do start to get very busy, i will then i will create a request form to be an editor on the site and maybe here on the forums, or maybe on my own forum.

Note to admin/mods: if in the case of wrong forum, please move. I wasn't sure which place to post as all 3 catagorys here COULD be a good catagory.

PS: Please DONT flame me if you think i am crazy, express your opinions in a calm manner, dont try to kill me or my idea.

Thanks in advanced,

Rob

Robert Allen, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My calm idea is to take a time machine to 1996 :)

lorien1973, Feb 7, 2007 IP
    Robert Allen likes this.
  3. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    May i ask how that would help? We are now in 2007, not 1996. 11 internet years back in time, is too far back. Lemme guess, you think it is TOO late for a directory to beat DMOZ? Dmoz is dieing..

Edit: did you mean check out what dmoz looked like at the time?

4. thewindmaster

thewindmaster The Man with the Plan

Best Answers:
    Well, good luck. As you said the DMOZ is somewhat of a failure but it was established well before there were thousands of directories out there.

thewindmaster, Feb 7, 2007 IP
    Robert Allen likes this.
  5. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    Interested in what makes it different from the million other free dirs?

jabb, Feb 7, 2007 IP
    Robert Allen likes this.
  6. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    The download of the database and all its entrys attrition free and updated weekly.

Rob

7. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Im waiting for one of Robs/An0ns amusing images...

sabian1982, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  8. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that?

Thanks,

ROb

9. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats all good but you really think enough to replace DMOZ? :)

jabb, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes its way too late. Read up on what dmoz was originally and why it became so popular. It could only happen at the beginnings of this intertube thing. It ain't happening again.

What's more, we could examine that:

dmoz runs no ads. Yours has ads on top and bottom of the pages.
    Yours also runs on an easily obtainable script.
    it has "kickass template" on the bottom - dmoz killer for sure ;)
    has paid(?) links at the bottom of all the pages

need we go further?

lorien1973, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  11. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for encouraging me. I will still attempt to beat them.

Rob

12. DPlurker

DPlurker Banned

Best Answers:
    I was initially quite confused by your use of the word attrition. Did you mean attribution :)?

DPlurker, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  13. scart3r

scart3r Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't most directories do that? I wish you all the luck in the world...

Keep advertising and don't give up. It takes years to develop a well respected directory. Work on PR as well. I think the main reason that most people like DMOZ is because its a PR9 - Or is it PR9 because lots of people like it..... hmmmm

scart3r, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  14. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, that is the word i am looking for, my result in my english mock exam was a C, and i was predicted a D.

Anyway, sorry about that. Anyway, i am trying my hardest to get the site working 100% right now.

Rob

Robert Allen, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  15. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Tbh i think you've got a long, long way to go and your not off to the best of starts.

Firstly your site is only a PR2, even the newest of directories are able to achieve a PR4 given the right amount of time an effort.

Secondly as mentioned you need get a custom script, get rid of the crap site design (DMOZ also works on the principle of simple design, fast loading pages) and also remove the paid submission, recip option and ad banners.

Thirdly your going to need a load more categories if your ever going to want to consider getting a good number of quality links - you need to have loads of categories so people can submit to the most specific of categories.

Fourthly DMOZ is a wicked name that stands out from the crowd... it also stands for something, not only in terms of meaning but reputation as the biggest and best. People aspire to be in DMOZ! PaidPaid doesnt really reflect what your site is about or what you want to achieve... you really need to consider a much better name!

I think your idea is admirable but i think because of your youth your a little nieve.. perhaps in 3, 6 or 12 months time you'll come to realise that what your asking or hoping for is near on impossible. When you get to that stage you'll then turn your attention to producing or developing a directory which (although not a competitor to DMOZ) has its own unique qualities and concepts.

Best of luck.

sabian1982, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  16. cstavaru

cstavaru Peon

Best Answers:
    I think everybody wants to be a dmoz killer, so the market is pretty crowded :)

cstavaru, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  17. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    My next idea will be to change my domain to someone more relevent.

Thanks for the suggestions and help, and i think you are correct in saying that paidpaid is not an easy way to make a name, and i think that dmoz sounds more relevent than paidpaid.

Shall i name it facka.info?

Rob

Robert Allen, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  18. scart3r

scart3r Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ummm... facka sounds kinda rude...

scart3r, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  19. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're going to change name / domain then do it now - no point promoting a domain that is going to die -- I see that dmozv2.info (DMOZ Version 2) is still available....[take that as my gift :)]

I'm going to submit some sites --- never got into the original DMOZ so I'll give yours a go...

Good Luck & keep at it!

bochgoch, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  20. smatts9

smatts9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Light text on a light background? I can barely read it change the colors, need a new domain to become a respected directory, and stay away from .info and try and come up with a domain within the net/org/com area.

smatts9, Feb 9, 2007 IP