1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 Simple SEO Strategies

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Tekime, Feb 4, 2007.

I recently posted this on my new blog, but since nobody actually reads it I thought I'd share these tips with DP. Please let me know if you find this helpful!

Search engine optimization is a complicated subject, and it takes time and hard work to gain an intuitive understanding of SEO. Even the strongest intuition can’t predict all of the eccentricities of search engine algorithms, though, and there are some simple SEO strategies that a Webmaster of any skill level can implement. These are ten SEO strategies that I incorporate in all of my Web sites.
    • Define keyphrases for each site. Tarket keyphrases that are actually reachable with the resources you have. This could be 3 terms or 20 terms, depending on the nature of your site. Usually 5-10 primary phrases. If your site already has search engine traffic, focus on the phrases that you are already being ranked for to improve SERPs.
    • Use keyphrases regularly in content, URL, titles and especially anchor text for backlinks. Keep it natural, though. Don’t SPAM your keyphrase everywhere, and make sure to include lots of other natural content and words that are contextually related.
    • Publish new content regularly.
    • Optimize your URLs. Get rid of dynamic IDs and sessions, and include page titles and keyphrases in URLs.
    • Obtain relevant, natural backlinks from authoritative sites. This means finding links on relevant Web sites with good PR, traffic, age, popularity, etc. Let me stress relevency again. Relevant links are important to SERPs, so if you’re optimizing a ringtones Web site you probably shouldn’t seek out links on say, knitting forums. Links from a content-rich section of a site are better than areas saturated with links, like a list of links in the footer of a site. Sitewide links increase link popularity but need to be complemented with homepage/single-page links. A good mixture of both is best.
    • Deep-link URLs. Obtain backlinks that link to individual pages in addition to links pointing directly to the home page.
    • Be consistent with URL usage. Don’t link to ‘http://www.example.com/’on one page and ‘http://www.example.com/index.php’ on another. Pick one and stick with it.
    • Reduce link clutter. More outgoing links on your page will not reduce your own PR directly, but it will reduce the PR a link can pass which translates to less PR passed back to your own site indirectly. Also remove any unnecessary internal links, with the exception of having 2-3 links for top-level pages (such as in the header, menu, and footer).
    • Google to find tools like PageRank checker, link popularity checker, and SERP checker to keep track of performance.
    • Regularly analyze and improve your own strategy, and monitor results in SERPs on Google, Yahoo, and MSN. There is no document that can improve your intuitive understanding as well as doing it yourself.
    These are some of the fundamental strategies I incorporate, and are by no means writ in stone. These basics have worked for me and I hope they help you as well.

Tekime, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  2. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have good advice Tekime, thank you for sharing.

"There is no document that can improve your intuitive understanding as well as doing it yourself."

I know you are a winner in the 'Adsense game', and your post covers building a strong foundation. Thanks. This thread URL has been added to my fun new directory, I hope you don't mind.

gemini181, Feb 4, 2007 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  3. drionix

drionix Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a very informative thread. Carry on! :D

drionix, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  4. DomainKing

DomainKing Banned

Best Answers:
    Very nice tips for a new comer to SEO. Keep up the good work!

DomainKing, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  5. utopia78

utopia78 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice post and thanks for sharing.

utopia78, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  6. DSB

DSB Peon

Best Answers:
    I think most sites need to have more internal links on the home page than that. You don't want spiders having to crawl too deep.

DSB, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  7. ominc

ominc Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing nice post.

ominc, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  8. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks for the tips. I will try and use them.

Bestmiler, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  9. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    MyBlogLog - That's my profile... sign up there (at MyBlogLog). I started 2 weeks ago and have around 50+ new referrers from there per week.... Most of the main SEO crowd is there

ShoeMoney
    GreyWolf
    Danny Sullivan (and crew)
    RustyBrick
    Bill Slawski
    Jill Whalen
    StuntDouble

and so on and so on... it's the IN place to be in SEO these days U know... he he....

Don't say I never do nuttin for ya -

thegypsy, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  10. tomten

tomten Peon

Best Answers:
    Define keyphrases for each site. Tarket keyphrases that are actually reachable with the resources you have. This could be 3 terms or 20 terms, depending on the nature of your site. Usually 5-10 primary phrases. If your site already has search engine traffic, focus on the phrases that you are already being ranked for to improve SERPs.

Also define keyphrases on every page on the site

Use keyphrases regularly in content, URL, titles and especially anchor text for backlinks. Keep it natural, though. Don’t SPAM your keyphrase everywhere, and make sure to include lots of other natural content and words that are contextually related.

Do not repeat keyphrase twice in URL. For example www.soap.se/soap.htm is wrong, www.soap.se/content.htm is right

Publish new content regularly.

Yes, spiders come back if you update your site regularly. Also post on your blog when the site is updated so that the page gets indexed. Also update your sitemap.

Optimize your URLs. Get rid of dynamic IDs and sessions, and include page titles and keyphrases in URLs.

Not that easy to get rid of dynamic IDs all the time.

Obtain relevant, natural backlinks from authoritative sites. This means finding links on relevant Web sites with good PR, traffic, age, popularity, etc. Let me stress relevency again. Relevant links are important to SERPs, so if you’re optimizing a ringtones Web site you probably shouldn’t seek out links on say, knitting forums. Links from a content-rich section of a site are better than areas saturated with links, like a list of links in the footer of a site. Sitewide links increase link popularity but need to be complemented with homepage/single-page links. A good mixture of both is best.

Every link from a good neighborhood is good.

Deep-link URLs. Obtain backlinks that link to individual pages in addition to links pointing directly to the home page.

Yes, these come naturally or by yourself if you create a blog that promotes every new page added to the URL.

Be consistent with URL usage. Don’t link to ‘http://www.example.com/’on one page and ‘http://www.example.com/index.php’ on another. Pick one and stick with it.

This is important

Reduce link clutter. More outgoing links on your page will not reduce your own PR directly, but it will reduce the PR a link can pass which translates to less PR passed back to your own site indirectly. Also remove any unnecessary internal links, with the exception of having 2-3 links for top-level pages (such as in the header, menu, and footer).

Your PR improves by linking to relevant pages about the same topic as your article.

Google to find tools like PageRank checker, link popularity checker, and SERP checker to keep track of performance.

Get good tools to check your SEO

Regularly analyze and improve your own strategy, and monitor results in SERPs on Google, Yahoo, and MSN. There is no document that can improve your intuitive understanding as well as doing it yourself.

Check what keywords people use to find your site.

tomten, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  11. limpit

limpit Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for these tips, I shall make sure I'm using them to my highest potential on my site!

limpit, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  12. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thanks, I'm glad some of you found this useful. All basics, but basics often overlooked.

Sorry, let me clarify. I was referring to linking to the same page 2-3 times from one page. Usually not recommended, but totally reasonable for top-level pages.

Tekime, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  13. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i already use most of those methods, i just dont analyze my own strategy and improve it lol, its been great to me so far, but i'll have to keep that one in mind, thanks

njoker555, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  14. buckshot

buckshot Peon

Best Answers:
    Great tips, thanks very much!!

buckshot, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  15. jcjd

jcjd Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks a lot for sharing this. it really helps.
    goodluck to you and i will remember everything you said.

:)

jcjd, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  16. doogers

doogers Peon

Best Answers:
    I appreciated the post...I have a long ways to go.

doogers, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  17. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Dooger... I was just chatting it up on your thread at Warriors... I am 'the Gypsy' U know... he he

thegypsy, Feb 6, 2007 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  18. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    nice quick and dirty overview...

ServerUnion, Feb 6, 2007 IP
    thegypsy, gemini181 and Tekime like this.
  19. DSB

DSB Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice tip, thegypsy
    I signed up last week but haven't done much with it so far. Should get more into it.

DSB, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  20. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for sharing man. Great advice!

- Prilep :)

prilep, Feb 6, 2007 IP