1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Infraction for replying to job offer?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by 8everything, Feb 6, 2007.

8everything, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Check the infraction sticky in this forum. Among other things it states

Running up post count/post has no value - Posts such as "pm sent", "lol" or any other useless post that does not contribute to the forum or the thread is considered a post that has no value. Posting numerous "welcome to the forum" posts in the Introductions forum is also considered post padding or running up your post count. Posting an opinion in a sales thread such as "great price, good luck with the sale" but not actually bidding or participating is not allowed.

The thought behind the "PM sent" type messages is the recipient knows, others do not need to know. You will find whole pages of PM sent type messages over and over. These messages detract from finding the pertinent messages in a thread.

Smyrl, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  3. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I got it now thanks.

Just one last question about post/count/post has no value. What about replying to someone and saying thank you __this_and_that___? (sorry, a habit of mine in real life). Just double checking!

8everything, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  4. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you can leave a green rep with a thank you message.

The main reason is to keep the board clean so it is easier and faster for us to get information we need.

ahkip, Feb 6, 2007 IP
    8everything likes this.
  5. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see both sides here clearly. Mods are generally interested in the overall quality of a site from the perspective of pertinent easily accessable quality information. And the actual users are interested in that as well as business, interaction, courtesy, validation and friendship. I personally like to have responses to my thread in addition to a PM, even if its just "PM sent". It provides me a functional utility. I feel validated, recognized in addition to it keeps the thread alive. Many threads target niches that are not mainstream so interested or knowledgeable parties are infrequent. Another occasion occurs when I respond by PM to posts. After a sale or trade that has been successful (or not) the need arises to give iTrader, which requires a post.

It goes both ways I guess. I am guilty too. We all need to be aware of the eventual quality as well as our immediate needs of a forum ( "looks like two entirely oppositional types of quality to me...") and remember that an infraction is only seen by the person who recieves it, so it doesn't hurt your public rep. Maybe we should re-entitle them "friendly reminders" at least for the first few...LOL

I've yet to see exactly how an infraction appears on my account. So considering I am guilty of this I feel the intense need to pay my debt to our lil' society here so I suggest that Smyrl serve due justice.

livingearth, Feb 6, 2007 IP
    8everything likes this.
  6. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    As ahkip says you can thank with green rep or a PM or both. We have been brought up all our lives to say please and thank you which makes it hard not to want to post a quick thank you or congratulations for a job well done.

Other problematic posts are seen in solicitations and announcements area with long strings of "Submitted mine, thanks." posts.

Smyrl, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  7. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good job Smyrl! Now I know. Somehow I thought it would be worse. You know like "Big Bold Flashing Red Letters". Fit in quite well actually, maintained the flow and elegance of the page and everything. Now that I have been "cleansed" I will strive to be more aware.
    There is usually a lot more that can be said than the typical "PM sent"
    and with a little thought something that contributes more can easily be stated.
    Please no one get me wrong, I am not "mod bashing" here. I think both sides are very valid and together it is a system of "checks and balances".

livingearth, Feb 6, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.