1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mac Computers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ginene, Feb 3, 2007.

Anyone here own a mac? I know ya have seen the commercials advertised and I was wondering is it true that they don't get viruses and do you like them better. I was thinking about getting one when I got my taxes back and I wanted to get some opinions. Thanks

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Ginene, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  2. math20

math20 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you could install osx on any computer I would be running osx right now, unfortunately it is proprietary so you are forced to buy their over priced hardware along with it.

If you have a lot of extra cash, I'd say go for it and get an iMac but if you are a frugal guy then just upgrade your pc.

Good luck! :)

math20, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  3. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Most of the real pimps here use macs ;) I highly recommend it.

Shoemoney, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  4. t2000q

t2000q Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i heard the new imac comes in a flat screen, so basically the whole computer is built into the monitor, if i had the money i think i would get one to play around with

t2000q, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No. That is not true.

minstrel, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  6. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I would if I were you (ahh their designs are soooooo nice). I heard they're awesome for graphics design.. if that's your thing (that's all we used in my graphics design course)

8everything, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True dat. I just bought an iMac...but I'm not a pimp. But I'm working my way up the pimp ladder. :p

Stefan, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  8. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's very close to true. Theres like 5 known viruses for Mac. Although the market share is growing and that will change, right now your nearly 100% safe from viruses while using a Mac.

Stefan, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It is already changing. The future is now.

minstrel, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  10. Ginene

Ginene Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback. One of the main reason I was getting one because of what they say about viruses and their commercials are very convincing :). I am not that computer savvy as most of you here so I figure if anyone knew anything it would be this group. Thanks I think I am going to upgrade and get one.

Ginene, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  11. DaEMoN33

DaEMoN33 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Getting a C2D Macbook Pro is definitely one of the best moves I've made in the past few months. It really is a smooth machine, a pleasure to work on.
    If you can, get a Mac.

DaEMoN33, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    This is not an anti-Mac post. There are several Mac features that I like although I personally prefer a good Windows system. Among other things, software and hardware for the Mac tends to be pricier because it doesn't have as large a user base.

However, if your motivation is solely to avoid viruses you might want to have a look at Mac viruses.

minstrel, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  13. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with Minstrel. In fact, I would go a step further and say that the highly touted "security" of Macs and *nix-based systems is just marketing.

However, after watching less tech savvy people use computers, I have come to realize that it is impossible to secure an operating system against trojans, keyloggers, viruses, etc. Worse, this beguiling marketing emphasis on the safety of Vista and OS/X is making ordinary users believe they are fully secure and have nothing to fear.

Nothing could be further from the truth. How many people do you know who will, when promoted by a trojan installer in an email message or at a website, dutifully click through all the installation screens, and dutifully enter their root passwords to complete the installation of the program?

Most computer users will. In fact, the same people who run trojanned Win XP machines would run trojanned *nix, OS/X or Vista machines.

clancey, Feb 4, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.