1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does my ad suck?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Zerohero, Feb 1, 2007.

okay, so I'm feeling fairly rejected right now. I just started an adword campaign, it's based on the movie "The Aristocrats" and points to the coresponding Squidoo. (in my signiture if you're interested in checking it out.)

My primary objective at the moment is just to get some participation on the squidoo, mainly some fans of the movie telling their version of the joke. So I created the following ad:

Love "The Aristocrats"?
    >>Win it on DVD!
    >>Tell your joke to win!

I've gone through a couple versions now, the first one was something along the line of "buy the aristocrats" and the second one saying "tell your joke and win the movie on DVD"

I've gotten 3000 impressions so far, and not one single click. So what's my problem?? what is a typical CTR? I scraped the first one because it was all about "buying", and nobody likes to be sold to. the second one wasn't performing, and this third one isn't doing crap. I've got some pretty good keywords but no traffic yet.

Any advice?

Zerohero, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  2. enginez

enginez Peon

Best Answers:
    Is your ad just on search, or is it content as well? If it is mostly content impressions, then it could just be appearing on an irrelevant web site.

enginez, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  3. Zerohero

Zerohero Peon

Best Answers:
    It is almost entirely content impressions.(only 160 or so are search impressions). Should I keep those going just for the heck of it or disable the content portion of my campaign? Will it hurt me to have such a low CTR with the content portion?

Zerohero, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  4. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Low CTR on the content network has no impact on the search network.

GuyFromChicago, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  5. n vijayanand

n vijayanand Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to get more impressions on search results.

n vijayanand, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  6. sarathy

sarathy Peon

Best Answers:
    Your ad is perfect, Those who loves the movie will surely click on the ad., But this ad has to appear in movie sites/fan sites for you to generate a converting click.,
    Try the adwords site exclusion tool., and exclude finance,trading, business sites including MFA sites ., You may get good converting clicks.,

sarathy, Feb 2, 2007 IP
    Zerohero likes this.
  7. Zerohero

Zerohero Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for that advice! I will definitely try that! (it makes a lot of sense)

Zerohero, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  8. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't get any clicks on search networks it can mean two things: You use wrong keywords 2) your ad isn't attractive.

Although, your AD is okay to me, I would click on it. Then it goes for number 1 reason.

dog_24, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  9. refresh9149

refresh9149 Peon

Best Answers:
    using stronger language in ads usually grabs more attention = higher CTR, just a thought. Good luck.

refresh9149, Feb 3, 2007 IP