1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is SEO worth?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by PoohBear88, Feb 1, 2007.

1. tkilgore

tkilgore Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow ..

First ...what IS the budget of the customer? ..I am not going to place them any were with out a budget defined.

To be honest so many biz owners..want you to work with them as they RAKE in the sales or ad doe and you got holding the bag for a long term comitment for pennies.

So start here ...

Were do they want to be.. and how much time is it going to take to get them there (and links). Other wise tell them to start small and work on a BUDGET.. lol

tkilgore, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  2. metapilot

metapilot Active Member

Best Answers:
    You set the client's expectation based on what you're reasonably sure you can achieve for them and you price the project using parameters that include how valuable your time is, how important the expected outcome is to the client and what that outcome is worth to him.

An SEO may develop better optimization skills as time goes on but they only make more money if they develop their sales skills as well. Of course some people's sales skills develop faster than their optimization skills--a situation that rarely turns out well for the client. It's a balance. Whether you're selling your skills to a client or an employer, you've got to be able to talk the talk AND walk the walk if you want to make the money make the money.

By the way. Google results for allintitle: and allinurl:haven't been considered accurate for some time. Staying up to date in this field is a daily adventure. If you're leaning on last month's info, it's hard to make good money.

metapilot, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  3. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your pretty sure u can get them first page google results, if u want to give them a guarantee say you will guarantee top 20 ranking just so you have some wiggle room. 1000 is very cheap for a competitive term. My seo also offers pretty cheap pricing but that is just to build his portfolio( he used to work signing nda's, long story and a hot thread ago), but u must also figure into the price whether he will let you show your site or not.

Also another suggestion is to build your own site(which im also doing for him starting next week), get it ranked into the first page on google for super tough seo related keywords and u will see how clients will come flocking to you:)))))))))).

pingpong123, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  4. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the basis is what you consider a reasonable hourly rate for you (given your level of experience, how badly you need clients etc.). Then if you need to buy links for them (say from the yahoo-directory) that should obviously be included. I would not give guarantees. I mean, both time-frame and eventual position in the serps (or amount of extra visitors per month from se's) are hard to predict. I think the idea to give you a percentage of what they make extra is great.
    You do need to make it clear that you do not control the search engines - and that it isn't about (in most cases) getting into the top ten for one key word. The long tail is easier to conquer AND converts better, after all. So the amount of extra visitors/month is a decent metric. Say you will be able to double that within a year, and they should be quite happy.

kh7, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    if you could go back wouldn't it have worked out better to get a commission?

ferret77, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  6. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ferret , what if is the biggest word in the dictionary but lets say aarons client
    didnt get many sales. Then all his work is for nothing. Maybe next time a combination of pay and percentage of sales would be better.

pingpong123, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  7. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I really perfer working on commission

I have some clients still and they are pretty cool, but If I owned their sites and just put adsense on them I would get paid more then they pay me

he said it wasn't much work

ferret77, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  8. Sadu

Sadu Peon

Best Answers:
    The client wants to make more money, hence the spend on marketing. You shouldn't take on the job unless you think you can make them money (increased sales / leads / whatever).

I have told clients that they shouldn't waste their money on SEO because their client base is low-tech and doesn't use the internet. $1000 in their case is better spent on old-fashioned marketing.

If you can make them $10k in extra sales by doing 10 mins work to their site, then $1000 would be reasonable fee. If 6 months work generates $500 extra revenue, then $1000 is not a reasonable fee.

I find "hours" is not a particularly good measure of value for either party, but it seems to be the default.

Sadu, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  9. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    I charge flat fee for some services and by the hour for other. After doing SEO to any customers site, they have always gained business. Daily the number of people who used to call up a store to find if they had a item is diminishing. Nearly everyone looks it up on the net. Thats why I am in business.

I also get a large portion of work as my prices are some of the lowest out their, and I have a track record in many fields for top placement!

theseokit, Feb 5, 2007 IP