1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Video advertising......is dead

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by sunnydiv, Feb 1, 2007.

This is not a post about youtube, this is a post about how video advertising is dead before it ever began

hey guys,
    though i do agree with what everyone has been saying video definately is the future, but “video advertising” just wont cut it and i ll give you my reasons

1) internet gives (is supposed to) control and “choices” to ppl, they wont like it when they are interupted with a 30 second ad or something similar, i would rahter just close the window, unless it is something very very very important

2) surfers dont have patience….. one thing that we learned in the internet age is to do everything jaldi jaldi… waiting..is not on anyonez list

3) my broadband my money….. in television it takes one time payment and you are done, but online when you are watching “advertisementS” you are paying for the broadband….. i would much rather prefer videos over the p2p …. than watch advertisements and be billed for it

4) H4×0r…. programmers love to surf, and programmers are smart, and they will figure out a way to rid of this nuisance and i will thank them for it

…………………so now the question becomes is there a solution
    ofcourse……….i myself have been working (trying) to work something out of videos and yes there are two solutions

1) making your video ads funny and viral…. so ppl would love to watch n share….. now we know this technique has worked wonders for the “mac” but the problem is they would pay youtube to braodcast something that people already love and want to see…they would rather upload it to their own website or use p2p or something

2) which brings me to the second idea…… which is kinda orignal…… so instead of revealing it without a NDA i ll just say it in a riddle…. and it is
    to proceed to the future… look into the past ( i do love mystery) reduce bandwidth cost and increase the viral appeal

i am not saying my idea is absolute, i am sure there are hundreads more out there, and i would love to hear them……..and yes video is the Future…but sadly not for advertising

sunnydiv, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  2. dominicw

dominicw Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed that AdultSwim.com and many other 'free' online distribution of tv shows now incorporate an ad before each segment of the show. You can not fast forward through it. Video ads on their own were indeed dead before they even emerged because there is no draw to watch a commercial on the Internet, however as a prerequisite to seeing quality material - well thats another question.

TV commercials are suffering in a similar respect thanks to Tivo and DVR. In fact advertisers are paying more for the ads directly after the show breaks for commercials and directly before the show comes back from the break. Endorsements are becoming more necessary as well, which is another opportunity for online video advertising.

My 2 cents worth of ramblings.......

Dominic

dominicw, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  3. sunnydiv

sunnydiv Peon

Best Answers:
    hey dominic......
    one other thing we need to udnerstand is when you are talking of premium content..... lets say southpark episode..... then online viewing must exceed the temptation to download from P2p

No one would want to watching a video with ADS.... when they can download it AD-FREE (illegal but ad free) from p2p

and for non premium content, new comers and amatures, i would never wait for a "video ad" to finish

sunnydiv, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  4. integrity

integrity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have watched every video ad I have ever seen on the internet. They are interesting. They might not live long. But they will live for at least a little bit.

integrity, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  5. dominicw

dominicw Peon

Best Answers:
    Sunny - I agree. I would add that this formula applies to any outgoing resources whether it be time or money. We want to get a better return on our time for the time we invest...in the form of entertainment here.

To watch a whole episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, I will sit through a Nick Lache ad for Axe...

Dominic

dominicw, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  6. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    You are wrong. 99% of the world would rather go to a site that they can push PLAY and start watching the episode rather than have to download it to their HD and play it later. You can argue this point until you are blue in the face but it will not change that fact. Multiple video sites are incorporating ads successfully into their videos and it will only become more prevelant this year. p2p is trash and will not in any way bother sites like YouTube.

30k Challenge, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  7. sunnydiv

sunnydiv Peon

Best Answers:
    ofcourse mr 30 k but let us not forget

"play" sites will include video ads....if this is anything like tv it will be 10 minutes of ads for 20 minutes of content..., or even if it is 5 minute of ads for 20...

now remember the video quality of the 20 minute video equals a 40 mb download......

now think about it would you watch 5 minutes of ads.....or download mere 40 mb and get the video ad free............

now as you say......right now it is free.....and that is beautiful....but soon enough there will be chaos

sunnydiv, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  8. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    What internet are you surfing? The internet is nothing like television and all ads are very short. Not only are there places like revver, youtube, and metacafe but the networks already have their hottest shows streaming online. The ads are a couple of minutes out of a full hour on the ones I've watched. Nobody in their right mind would be bothered with dowloading on p2p, worrying with getting sued for piracy reasons, and dealing with fake videos / scumware to save 10 seconds off of a video clip (metacafe) or 2 minutes off of a 45 minute show from a networks site.

9. ccano

ccano Peon

Best Answers:
    That doesn't mean the ads work, though. People don't like being interrupted with advertisements. You rarely meet a person who actually enjoys watching the ads in online videos (or even TV for that matter).

The key to making a sale, I think, is to give the viewer content that's somehow useful to him/her. Earn their trust or respect and they'll buy from you. Interrupt them and they'll either minimize the window, or sit there frustrated waiting for you to be finished. That's just the way I see it.

ccano, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  10. sunnydiv

sunnydiv Peon

Best Answers:
    it must be understood that i am not saying that these guyts shouldnt profit, i am just saying that they will have to come up with something better than just plain old video ads.....if they want to make this work

sunnydiv, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  11. sunnydiv

sunnydiv Peon

Best Answers:
    and are you telling me, that this is working for them......... do you know 2 of the 3 founding memebers of revver left the company... this is not just about hsowing a minute of ad for an hour.... these guys cant survive on this and then have enough to pay the artists and for revenue

we are talking about a long term view of this....

sunnydiv, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I went to the cinema recently to see a new release children's movie with my 5-year-old son. Just before the movie start rolling, we were subjected to a one minute commercial by an automobile vendor. I was very annoyed to have paid big bucks for tickets, soda, popcorn and candy only to be forced to view a paid commercial on top of it.

There is another issue with videos and advertising. When I surf in the office, I have my sound turned off. No need to alert everyone to my surfing. That makes watching a video useless. A lot of people surf at work and at home with the sound off for a variety of reasons.

JR

jrbiz, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  13. WillB

WillB Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't go to the cinema much, do you? I'd be chuffed to bits with
    only being shown a single ad before a film! Especially if it only lasted 1
    minute!

Video advertising is not dead. TV ads are still here, and are still being
    paid for, so there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of showing
    ads via video.

I do think we'll see them change though - sites like Revver are paving
    the way for integrated video ads. Google is testing out video ads, but
    I don't think they'll have much success.

If I'm reading a page of text or I'm looking for information quickly, I
    doubt I'm going to watch a short vid to see what they're promoting.
    Whereas, I can skim read a text ad in the blink of an eye and figure
    out whether it's going to be useful for me or not.

As more and more TV shows, movies and homemade films are moved
    into streaming formats on the web, we'll get more and more chance
    to be shown ads.

It happened with radio, and it WILL happen with video. That is, unless
    Acacia manages to get it's ridiculous patent upheld.

WillB, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  14. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    I take it you've honed this skill for bending over for the visitor and are rich beyond belief now?

15. ccano

ccano Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, I just don't think this kind of ad model is sustainable.

ccano, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  16. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    And you are talking nonsense. Revver recieved millions in funding just recently and if anyone left it has nothing to do with them not getting paid. Also, revver pays per click on their ads so your other argument goes out the window with that one. Since they don't pay until they get paid more it's impossible they don't profit on a per click basis. You are trying to shape the internet to fit into how you see things while companies with millions / billions of dollars are, by action, telling you that you are wrong. On top of all of this YouTube would be happy to pay out more on videos than they get in return much like they have been operating at a loss since inception. There are reasons for this way beyond 5 cent ad clicks.

17. QwkSand

QwkSand Peon

Best Answers:
    I never really thought video advertising was a long-term strategy. Look at TV commercials, for example. After we've seen them once, we're not interested in seeing them again. Some of uys don't even like to watch comercials anymore. Everytime a TV program takes a break and a commercial goes on, I usually go surf the other channels.

Video advertising is not that popular over the net, either. Videos for entertainment and fun are very popular, yes, but not for advertisments... not unless it's so impressive or so hilarious that it will get someone to bookmark it and share it on social networking sites.

QwkSand, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  18. LiquidWebTravis

LiquidWebTravis Peon

Best Answers:
    "3) my broadband my money….. in television it takes one time payment and you are done, but online when you are watching “advertisementS” you are paying for the broadband….. i would much rather prefer videos over the p2p …. than watch advertisements and be billed for it"

I'm not really sure what this means. You pay for cableTV but still see AD's. How is this different?

LiquidWebTravis, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  19. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I never see any evidence from the people who say video ads wont work, just a bunch of empty assumptions.

Bring something to the table, because they are obviously working if all the big online video distributors are using them.

checksum, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  20. syia

syia Member

Best Answers:
    making the video funny is definatly the best..

syia, Feb 1, 2007 IP