1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I get reinstated as an ODP editor?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Marifer, Jan 11, 2007.

Last year I was out of the country for 3 months and didn't have access to a computer and got my editor account suspended. Does anybody know how can I get my editor account reinstated?

Marifer, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  2. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    copperdrum, Jan 11, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  3. Marifer

Marifer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much!

Marifer, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  4. DPlurker

DPlurker Banned

Best Answers:
    To reinforce what copperdrum said, reinstatement isn't possible right now. This Resource Zone announcement will be updated when the situation changes but we don't know when that will be.

DPlurker, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't "we don't know" ("and we don't care") the basic motto for the Resourceless Zone?

minstrel, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  6. DPlurker

DPlurker Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice to see that your hilarious yet constructive wit is still on form minstrel :p

DPlurker, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's a gift.

minstrel, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  8. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    http://dmoz.org/reinstate.html

CReed, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. ezgoing8

ezgoing8 Peon

Best Answers:
    Find the megaeditor in the category where you were editing and send this person an email explaining the circumstances of why you could not edit during the period.

If you were an active editor before this happened and if your edits were good quality then the odds are good that you will be reinstated.

ezgoing8

ezgoing8, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  10. DPlurker

DPlurker Banned

Best Answers:
    Creed had it right a couple of weeks ago.

ezgoing probably means well but is giving incorrect advice. Only meta editors can reinstate expired editor accounts and they can only do it if the ex-editor has visited http://dmoz.org/reinstate.html and filled out the form.

If they've forgotten their passwords or changed their emails, they can request help here.

DPlurker, Jan 28, 2007 IP
  11. ezgoing8

ezgoing8 Peon

Best Answers:
    Did I say not submit the reinstatement form? And I do believe I stated contact the Meta Editor. OK, I didn't capitalize it the first time and I ran the two words together. :) Whoops, I mis-spelled it. But it was late last night and I wasn't seeing well.

And I stand by my statement that contacting the Meta Editor for your category and explaining what happen will improve your chances of being reinstated. The personal touch does help here, just not in getting your site listed. :)

ezgoing8, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  12. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    There are no meta editors for specific categories - meta editors work in all categories and any one can approve (or disapprove) a reinstatement request.

lmocr, Feb 1, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. ezgoing8

ezgoing8 Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically true.

However Meta Editors or I should say, almost all Meta Editors, stated out as lowly editors like everybody else. They worked their way up through their categories, some by leaps and bounds with click through editing, and ended up in the upper levels of their category. And before I am contradicted again, yes I am aware that some of the Meta Editors did not work their way up through the ranks but were promoted through other means. And yes I know some Meta Editors that were click through editors before they reached their current status. Want names?

I support DMOZ. That does not make me blind to its faults.

Back to the subject at hand:

As example if you edited a Shopping sub-category then look at the editors under the Top Level Shopping. The odds are good that those editors are Meta Editors. 100% Meta? Probably not, I don't know nor have the time nor interest to check and see.

But I could tell you the Meta Editors of the category where I edit. Sure these editors can edit all over the directory but you still find them in the categories where they started. And If I had a problem I would go to one of them for assistance, not a Meta Editor from another section of the directory that may have it in for my category. Just kidding, all Meta Editors love all categories.

It doesn't matter. If you wish to pretend that personalities have no impact in DMOZ that is fine with me.

I take back my advice. Don't try and make personal contact with your Top Level Editors to open a line a communication, just submit the reinstatement form and take pot luck with whoever happens to review it, when ever they get around to it.

ezgoing8, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, bad example. Of the 6 editors listed at the top level of Shopping only 2 are metas, 3 are editall, and one is a regular editor. I don't believe those 2 metas do click-through editing, they are very thorough. You have to be in Shopping. :)

compostannie, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Always liked good gossip don't stop now, we want to know who did what, who cheated on who, who is sleeping with who, who has drug habit, who is in AA, who did time, who is suspected of being a serial killer etc. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  16. gene

gene Peon

Best Answers:
    Curious minds want to know.

Did you get reinstated?
    :)

gene, Feb 6, 2007 IP