1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MS Sql or MySQL 5.0

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by v1nce, Jan 23, 2007.

I'm leaning toward moving one of our sites over to MySQL. Does anybody have pros/cons of MySQL 5.0 vs MS Sql?

v1nce, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  2. eralper

eralper Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Consider the MS SQL Server 2005.

It has a very advanced technology even when compared with SQL2k

Eralper
    http://www.kodyaz.com

eralper, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  3. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    more php-scripts support mysql.

latehorn, Feb 1, 2007 IP
    GTech likes this.
  4. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    Pro's and Con's on database are very difficult and subjective.

If you know MSSQL and have no issues over cost or skills in using it then stick with it. I view MYSQL as a cheap (potentially free) alternative well suited to the web.

Also depends on your environment -- I use MYSQL for web app's and Oracle/SQL Server/Sybase in a corporate environment.

bochgoch, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  5. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    I would still choose mysql, even if MSSQL was free. More php-scripts is available for Mysql.

latehorn, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  6. mariush

mariush Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL is closely reaching MSSQL in performance and features. I wouldn't bother converting scripts to MSSQL as long as they're working fine on MySQL.

mariush, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  7. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Peon

Best Answers:
    Mysql has a limited set of Stored procedure functions. Cursors, Views, etc are brand new to Mysql 5.0 so they are in limited design.

MSSQL just cost to much, but it all depends on what you are trying to do, how many queries are happening, how many connections are being made, how much data is involved, etc.

RaginBajin, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  8. MarkusJ_NZ

MarkusJ_NZ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MySQL = Free
    MSSQL = Beaucoup $$

I tend to match what technology I am going to be using with the backend database. e.g. If I am going to be using .NET/ ASP then I would use MSSQL simply because in the case of ADO.NET it has specific providers which optimise queries sent to an MSSQL database and from experience it's better to keep everything in the one camp.

The other thing to think about is "do you need the advanced MSSQL query stuff, e.g. FREETEXT search, FOR XML keywords etc"?

If all you want to do is pull information from a database and place it on a website then either would be fine and it dependse on your budget.

In a nutshell, they are both great but each has it's advantages.

Doing Microsoft development? Use MSSQL server since you are tied to Microsoft anyway and it offers custom providers for queries

Doing PHP? Use MySQL, bigger community and more source code available

just my 2 cents :)
    Cheers
    Markus

MarkusJ_NZ, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  9. spachev

spachev Peon

Best Answers:
    I would choose MySQL any day. I have worked on its source code, and it is solid inside and out. I have not seen MS SQL source, but I do have an idea of how commercial software in a big company with investors, etc gets developed. Better fewer well-done features than many poorly done.

spachev, Mar 8, 2007 IP