1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

custom 404 pages - must return 404 code?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by howard, Feb 1, 2007.

If a site is completely revamped, so most of the old URLs will no longer exist, putting a custom 404 page in place seems to be a sensible option, so when visitors visit (e.g. using search engine links to old pages) they get a professional looking "sorry not found" message.

I've seen some 404 pages that will actually return a 200 code - i.e visitor requests page "old_page.html", and a 200 "all OK" code is returned, while the custom 404 page "not_found.html" is displayed.

What are the pros and cons of returning a 200 "OK" code, versus a 404 "not found" code in this situation?

In terms of the problem of search engines having all the old pages indexed, if the custom 404 page actually returns a 404 code, does this speed up the process by which the search engines clear out old cached content that no longer exists?

Howard

howard, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  2. skimmy

skimmy Peon

Best Answers:
    I certainly believe that you will speed the process up with the return of 404 instead of 200.

I think that if it returns 200 the pages will end up in Google supplemental instead of actually being deindexed. That's what happened to me anyways.

skimmy, Feb 1, 2007 IP