1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much would you sell a domain?

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by Hoang, Jun 29, 2005.

If i have something like this:

Tokyo.??
    Paris.??

and some other short .us domains

How much should I start the bid?:)

Hoang, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    What would you do if you were invisible? What would you take to a desert island?

fryman, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  3. Hoang

Hoang Banned

Best Answers:
    So, what's your point?

Hoang, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Aren't we playing guessing games?

If you don't provide decent information how are people going to be able to give you an answer?

tokio.us and paris.us, for example, would be 100% garbage. Even in other extensions they wouldn't be worth more than reg fee. What kind of site could you build with something like tokio.cc? Who would ever remember to type that?

.com stil rules. Smaller extensions like .org or .info are worth less, but you can still get decent money with the right one, but crap like .cc or .in are a waste of money

fryman, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  5. Hoang

Hoang Banned

Best Answers:
    Let say I have .ws , and also .us (not Tokyo and Paris)
    So, you're saying they don't even worth more than 100 bucks?
    I believe that lots of travel company would interested on building some sites on that.
    I do think that .com is the best after all. But the problem is MOST and almost all of the good .com domains are gone, and people should think of some other extentions for their sites.

Anyways, thanks for the information that you've provided!

Hoang, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    ws is becoming popular, because although it really stands for west samoa, most people think it means "website". I have seen a few of those sell for low $xxx. If you are serious about domains, I'd suggest buying a membership at DNforum.com, that is where the pros hang out, and it is the best school in the world for learning about domains. People over there spend hundreds of thousands like if they were peanuts.

fryman, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  7. Hoang

Hoang Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks buddy!

Hoang, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  8. Cardplayer

Cardplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    Minimum $1000 for Tokyo.us and Paris.us Very nice keywords in an up and coming TLD. .WS has been around awhile and I don't expect it to increase in popularity much. Dot INFO and dot US are better investment extensions, imho.

Also check out www.namepros.com for a friendly domain related community where you can get appraisals.

Cardplayer, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    OMG, what kind of valuation did you use to give out your ridiculous appraisal?

fryman, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  10. Cardplayer

Cardplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    I could ask you the same thing, fryman.

100% garbage. Are you for real? "Paris" is one of the most searched for cities on the net. There are 30+ paying advertisers for this term at both Google and Overture. There are 10's of millions of Google results for both of these terms. Together they are searched for millions of times a month. Far from some meaningless madeup terms that would truly be considered "garbage".

And here are some actual sales of location related non-.com domains in the past year

NewYork.info $28,086
    England.net $29,000
    Moscow.info $10,000
    RioDeJaneiro.info $9,000
    Vancouver.info $6,378
    Austria.cc $6,087 (two weeks ago!)
    Minnesota.info $5,000
    Michigan.info $5,000
    New-York.info $3,500
    Oregon.info $2,500
    Fresno.us $1,500

And many more gone unreported I'm sure. Paris is a much better keyword than many of those listed above. Dot US is lagging behind .INFO in number of sales, so I only appraised the names at $1000. However dot us is showing some strong sales such as Industry.us for $17,000 recently.

Btw, also sold two weeks ago...
    OneNightInParis.com for $13,800 :rolleyes:
    (Doesn't really count, but contains our subject keyword) :)

I hate debating appraisals because they are so subjective, but I hope this helped someone.

Cardplayer, Jun 29, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  11. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    You aren't helping anyone, you are just showing your ignorance about domain business. People like you, who just start giving out completely illogical appraisals cause sellers to actually think they can ask such prices, and then they only get laughed at.

First of all, you just repeated what I said about .info and similar domain's value.

Then, you have no idea about how domains values are calculated. Saying that something like fresno.us is the same as tokio.us is just ignorant, unless I didn't understand my teacher at geography class and Tokio is in the USA. You can't go around mixing .coms with .info and .us, you sound like those people at ebay selling crap like mortgagefinancialinformationtoday.com and asking $100,000 for it because it has some "wonderful keywords" in it.

You should visit dnforum.com and read a bit before giving out crazy appraisals like that.

fryman, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  12. Cardplayer

Cardplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    Excuse me, the title of this thread is "How much would you sell a domain?" I wouldn't sell either of those names for under $1000.

I'm halfway wondering if you're one of those scumbag scammers that tells people their valuable names are garbage so you can pick them up from them for a few bucks. If you are, I'm sorry for ruining your gig, but you should be ashamed of yourself.

Btw:
    Paris, Arkansas
    Paris, Idaho
    Paris, Illinois
    Paris, Kentucky
    Paris, Maine
    Paris, Michigan
    Paris, Mississippi
    Paris, Missouri
    Paris, Ohio
    Paris, Tennessee
    Paris, Texas
    Paris, Virginia

Those are all in the US. Or maybe I'm showing my "ignorance" about US cities as well.

Cardplayer, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  13. gatordun

gatordun Guest

Best Answers:
    Your kidding y'all get that much for squatting on names and selling them for high outrageous prices.

gatordun, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  14. OpenForSale.com

OpenForSale.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I absolutely agree with cardplayer.

Paris.us can easily be worth 4-figures.
    If I was a US travel agent promoting Paris travel, I'd grab the domain in a second instead of registering etravelparis.com or visitparisnow.com.
    Tourism is just one use for the domain. But even this is limiting it's potential.

Paris, London, Tokyo, etc - these are cities that transcends borders. Just because the TLD is .us does not mean people will be confused as to the location of the city.

Obviously, not all cities share the status of a city like Paris. Accra.us (capital of Ghana) would probably not be worth as much. Likewise, Paris in lesser TLD's, like paris.co.sg (Singapore) would only be worth it's reg fee I think.

Sure there tons of worthless names. But I don't think this is one of them.

Think laterally. Hey, isn't Paris also someone's name?:rolleyes:

OpenForSale.com, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I agree, I have seen some names that appear worthless to be worth a lot to someone who winds up spending 15k.

If they have the cash and are stuck on having the name as their long term identity, you can ask for some really high prices and get close to what you ask for.

The key is to feel them out and get a sense on how much they are willing to spend.

Blogmaster, Jul 2, 2005 IP
    Corey Bryant likes this.
  16. Olney

Olney Berserker

Best Answers:
    Thanks Card Player,
    I went to NamesPro.com & one guy had info on some cool 4 letter domain names.

One really inspired me to do a new brand with a great abbreviation..

Thanks for the info...

Olney, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  17. gatordun

gatordun Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link.
    I'll go check it out.
    Really how do you know they are right or just low balling you, to get your name to sell it for more?

gatordun, Jul 5, 2005 IP
  18. Olney

Olney Berserker

Best Answers:
    I believe that's how the business is.
    I've been asking about a few domains that I think are good with zero appraisal response but most who have just bad site names get reponses.

Also sometimes a domain name is a matter of how you look at it.

I bought qnjk.com

I can see calling a site Queen & Jack, or Queen, Jack, King...

Not sure if we'll sell it though..

Olney, Jul 5, 2005 IP