1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unmotivated fat guy

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ahkip, Jan 30, 2007.

All you that work at home, where do you get motivation? Do you do it just for the mortgage or something push you forward?

I was motivated for like half year, making enough to support myself..but for the last month, i totally stop. Just doesn't have any reason to work:( and i am feeling bad about myself.

so please, let me know your story, i wish i can find a reason that can get me to work myself to another level

ahkip, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  2. smitts

smitts Peon

Best Answers:
    You should just take a week off... Don't do anything related to your sites, don't browse DP. Just take a week off.

I read a lot about the advantages of working from home, being your own boss, etc, but I think a lot of people work themselves harder than they would if they didn't have a boss.

smitts, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  3. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Agreed.I had the same happen last year.Took a week away from my computer and was fine.
    I also find it helps if you take one or two days a week away from it all.

MK

MKInfo, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  4. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, that's what i should be doing. I am planning a two week off

May be i am different, i think i am those kind of guy who need a boss to tell me what to do. Right now, there is too many distraction. I just don't know what to do next:D.

Anyone have good resource about planning and organize. That's two of my weakest part

ahkip, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  5. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i also believe strongly that time to time, even i have to take a break.

Usually i just take 2 days off the week, to help me balance out between being plugged in the system and real life. Take some time to chill and it would be better.

Haha, well i have an organization problem at the same time craving for a Holiday!

501, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  6. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    get a diary , start brainstorming and writing, it will make you a way

forumrating, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  7. crazyfish

crazyfish Active Member

Best Answers:
    I try to set myself up to have every weekend off or the great majority of it off. It doesn't always happen but it helps. I also find keeping somewhat regular hours works well, I work until 6pm then have dinner and watch some TV or whatever to relax.

crazyfish, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  8. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I think we've all suffered with this at some stage.

You can have too many tasks, and your thinking, what the hell do I do first.

Here's my tip.

Write a list of ALL of the tasks you want to undertake between now and say the end of March or the end of the year. Prioritise each task

Before you start the tasks, take a vacation, and get away from everything and clear your mind.

Then come back all freshed , and concentrate only on one task and nothing else. Tick off the task as you complete it.

I know it sounds long winded but ticking off the tasks makes you feel that you have achieved something in makes you continue on.

DarrenC, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    onedollar and ahkip like this.
  9. Rapesco

Rapesco Peon

Best Answers:
    Start playing golf

Rapesco, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  10. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    When I'm unmotivated, I start something new (projects I enjoy).

Crazy_Rob, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  11. aqrhine

aqrhine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to unite work and play. I have to listen to music while I work. I have to have a good drink by me, and company is a necessity. I require person to person human contact throughout the day. Even if it's just to call my girlfriend up and leave her on speaker phone and let her ramble on while I work. Not every day, but occasionally I will pick up a 6 pack or a 12 pack of Mich. Ultra and sit back and try to relax while I work. Perhaps turn on a football game with the volume down and play some music while I work also helps.

Don't just lock yourself in your office with nothing going on in there except work. This drives me crazy, and I'm sure alot of you are the same way. Take breaks throughout the day.. go for a mid afternoon walk or a drive through town when you start to get tired. Most important if your eyes begin to strain from glaring into the computer screen WALK AWAY! Doing this day after day is not only bad on the health of your eyes, but makes you dread waking up and sitting in front of the computer the next morning.

Plan ahead. I tend think of my plans for the next day right before I retire for the night. When I wake up I don't just get straight to work. I'll get up around 7AM and lay around the house, watch the news, drink some coffee and go for a ride before I begin work at 9.

aqrhine, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  12. mubin

mubin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you not into doing your work because you have reached your basic goals? It could be that you have made enough for this month and dont feel like working for more, BIG MISTAKE! Never sell yourself short always try to reach higher and make more money, because the time to do it is now NOT tommorow.

If your feeling burned out altogether that is a different story, but try to find out why you are feeling this way?

mubin, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  13. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it's very possible that you are the kind of person that needs a boss, and a nine-to-five job.
    But if you are not: do give yourself a schedule. At what part of the day do you do what tasks. Think about it, test it, and implement it. Do give yourself permission to take a day, or a week off. And then really do something totally different. Then do get back to work the next day. Find out what inspires you, what motivates you.
    When work overwhelms you, do make lists. If you don't have enough to do - make sure you think of at least one thing to do for each working day.

For me - I tend to find myself working even on days that I gave myself time off. That's just the way I am. I'll be reading or something and then I have inspiration to write something for my website. So I end up doing that. But I also have a standard for myself: a minimum of one article for my website a week. (measured per month) That means if I have a slow month, I will have to come up with something at the end of it. Usually I end up with easily twice that, but still, it's good to have a minimum set.
    This summer I had a goal to start actively promoting my site. So I joined myspace, stumbleupon, delicio etc. Not all of those turned out to work for my site, but that's not the main thing. The main thing is to have a standard live up to it. Of course the standard needs to be reasonable for you.

kh7, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    Crazy_Rob and onedollar like this.
  14. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm having same problem, a few months ago when i had my bigger sites, i was happy - continued with link building, content but now i sold my bigger sites so i've seen a dramatic drop in revenue, which i thought would motivate me to continue building content/links for new sites, but i can't be arsed :(

Maybe i should take some t5 pills to get on with super link building :rolleyes:

Lol :) I like to do the same :p

terryuk, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  15. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the problem is you sold sites on topics you care about. Now if you want to do well on those topics, you are competing with your own old site. That's got to be hard. Finding a new topic you care about as much is going to be hard by definition. I hope the money was worth it to you, because your situation is hard. Good luck.

kh7, Jan 31, 2007 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  16. assertar

assertar Peon

Best Answers:
    ahkip - just reading the post replies and there is some great advice there but different things work for different people.

I myself work pretty much full time on the net and can relate to a lot what u said and has been said. Find what works for you my friend!

Experiment a bit with your daily routine, try to have a bit of fun and plan activties away from your pc and home/office. Dont get mad at yourself when you are not in a real working mood - learn to guage how u feel and what environment lets you achieve the most work.

Every one in this game has suffered 'mental burnout' at some stage because of the continous repetition of your routine and lack of challenging/varying stimulus to keep your mind going.

Physical, mental and social isolation is enough to challenge the strongest person. Take time out for yourself or else its only gets worst.

My Tips that help me:

1.Sit down and question your reasons for doing/living the lifestyle you do. Be fair to yourself and ask the hard questions like is this really what i want? Do i enjoy it? Is my lifestyle enjoyable? How can i improve myself and happiness?
    2. Start a basic list of tasks you want or need to achieve.
    3. Prioritise and Mark em off as you go, then reward yourself with a treat.
    4. Plan a rough but flexible routine to plan your day around like meal times and coffee breaks. This the basis of your day but be prepared to mix it up a bit or allow for unexpected/spontaneous events too.
    5. Look at your office setup and try to create an enviroment that suits you best and will maximise work ethic.
    6. Plan activities away from a) the pc and b) your house/office. Find a physical activity which you enjoy - walking, running, swimming, football, social sport each week. ITS PROVEN TO RELEASE GOOD CHEMICALS IN YOUR BRAIN AND MADE YOU FEEL BETTER :). Try to meet with friends and keep up human contact - humans are social creatures who need this contact WE R NOT ROBOTS :) Have coffee with friend, go to a movie, go to a sporting event or go to the pub for beer!
    7. Soon after trialing your new routine, you will realise that its benefical in so many ways to do these things even if you feel stuck at the pc and cant be bothered. You begin to pick up when u need a break and what works and what does not. Breaks and these things increase productivity not waste time.

Good luck - we have all been there, its a common and natural feeling.

assertar, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  17. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    I used to be a fat lazy person too... And sometimes I loose my motivation.
    I realized that most of that was because I was staying home...
    I think it's a big mistake to stay home, because you have access to something called a big counch or a big bed. Also if you stay home you will always be in you pajamas.. and I think that was the biggest part of my lazyness.

So what I did, I rented an office with the money and started working down here.
    Now I can focus when I come here because i'm coming to work. I started to wake up early and now I have couple of employees working for me too.

Maybe it's easier here to rent an office in the Middle East.. because it is cheap.
    But I don't know about you guys and your countries.. maybe the whole Idea of renting an office is just too expensive.

Whatever you do... Just stay away from the bed... and the big couch! :D

KingofKings, Jan 31, 2007 IP