1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's a good screen-capturing video software?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoohBear88, Jan 29, 2007.

I'm looking to make some videos from my computer that guides some people through some steps. I'd like a good piece of software that can record what's displayed on my computer.

The only GOOD one I'm aware of is FRAPs. Any others recommended?

PoohBear88, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  2. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am pretty sure that FRAPS only works when you are using DirectX type video modes (that is, when you are playing a game). I do not believe it works if you are just "tooling around the desktop." Check on their site to be sure.

Look at Camtasia. I don't recall the manufacturer, but a Google search will get you right to them. There is also a not-so-well-known verison of Camtasia..I *think* the name is something like "Cam-Studio" or some such. I believe it can be found on SourceForge.com. This is an early verison of Camtasia that was "open-sourced." The software is older, but the price is better (as in "free").

I used Camtasia (the commercial package) for a corporate video I shot a year ago. It worked great. We were showing the usage of one of our products and it did an admirable job.

I also believe that "RoboDemo" was able to do this. Please note that "RoboDemo" was originally owned by a company (ehelp I think?) that was later bought by Macromedia. The product was absorbed into one of Macromedia's newer products (possibly one in the "Breeze" line of products).

As you may know, Macromedia was acquired by Adobe. Check the adobe site to see the status of what happened to the old RoboDemo. I *think* it became part of "captivate"...but I am not sure. You should be able to figure it out from their web site. Just beware that these are a bit pricey ($500+ I believe). They should have a trial you can download....the Camtasia product as well.

Good luck!

Mirage, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  3. LiquidWebTravis

LiquidWebTravis Peon

Best Answers:
    Fair disclosure, I used to work for Techsmith the manufacturers of Camtasia.
    But I must say it is the best screenrecording tool, period. Unless you're looking to record linux ;)

LiquidWebTravis, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  4. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Liquid,

Just curious....did you ever try the Macromedia - Adobe screen capture program? I understand you have a "biased" point of view (perhaps)...but I am looking to do more and am wondering if you ever did a "side-by-side" comparison.

We use Camtasia in our office and we have been very pleased with the results. I used it once...was very happy.

Mirage, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  5. arpitagarwal82

arpitagarwal82 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think that opinion is biased. Camtasia is really a good toll for screen capturing and recording. The scroll down capture in Camtasia is awesome.

arpitagarwal82, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  6. Lode

Lode Peon

Best Answers:
    I use SnagIt for both screen image captures and screen video captures. There's a lot more SnagIt can do, and I'm very happy about the program.

Lode, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  7. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    frankcow, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  8. Fervorite

Fervorite Peon

Best Answers:
    Get "Cam Studio". It does everything you want without any real problems or trouble. Plus it's free!

Fervorite, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  9. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got some cyberlink software with my DVD burner that allows me to capture and burn...I really like it. Its reall easy to use.

d16man, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  10. giovanni

giovanni Peon

Best Answers:
    I can recommend camtasia, its not free...

giovanni, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  11. PoohBear88

PoohBear88 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. I check out Camtasia - Looks amazing. It's definitely exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the reference.

PoohBear88, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  12. tnid

tnid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    first i was using windvd. pretty plain. til i came across with camtasia. works like magic. ;)

tnid, Jan 30, 2007 IP