1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can a Competitor Destroy Your Rankings

Discussion in 'Google' started by winifred gray, Jan 26, 2007.

In the google webmaster guidelines it says there is almost nothing that a competitor can do to hurt your rankings. What do they mean by "almost"?

If it says almost then that means there is something that someone can do to hurt your site. What are these things? -- Not so we can do them but so that we can think of ways to protect ourselves.

winifred gray, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  2. brokensoft

brokensoft Active Member

Best Answers:
    may be they can add your site links in black list sites !!!

brokensoft, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  3. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Peon

Best Answers:
    seems a little too easy....

FikseGTS, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  4. schmeetz

schmeetz Active Member

Best Answers:
    They say almost just to cover their butts.

schmeetz, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  5. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some links from this thread about how there is almost nothing that a competitor can do to hurt your rankings.

NetMidWest, Jan 26, 2007 IP
    Nick_Mayhem and jdR!pper like this.
  6. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, it is more likely for the legal action purpose. There simply nothing impossible for internet stuff. so by saying the above phrase, they would be able to avoid some legal action against them.

toby, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  7. Andyz

Andyz Guest

Best Answers:
    When you get very much inbound links in the same way very fast, google is penalizing this.
    The "sandbox effect" also depends on incoming links. SEO Guru Brad Fallen has also called that the "google link trap".

Andyz, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  8. JKhoury

JKhoury Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there's anything a competitor can do besides try and take your website off the line to destroy your rankings.

JKhoury, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  9. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, a competitor can always create a lot of sites that are better than yours and will rank higher ;).

vlasta, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  10. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Its possible to hurt your rankings if your competitor find way to disguise your site as fishy site.

but but .. is it any easy thing to do?

why your competitor should hurt your rankings?
    why he should not work hard on boost his own rankings? :p

Mong, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  11. RedCardinal

RedCardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think they need to worry about legal action over rankings, after all they have no contracts with anyone listed in the organics, and cannot be compelled to list any website.

That's why so many people warn you not to rely solely on Google.

RedCardinal, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  12. The Stealthy One

The Stealthy One Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is very possible for a competitor to create many link farms and add your link to each one. This would not be good for you at all, and there's nothing Google can do to stop it! :)

The Stealthy One, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  13. gid

gid Peon

Best Answers:
    I screwed myself once by trying to buy traffic. What this company I purchased hits from did was bought high ranking expired domain names and did a redirect to my site. I was able to select categories of expired sites I wanted to receive redirects from. I think I paid $20 for about 50000 hits. The problem is that google viewed this as a sneaky redirect, and I got spanked for about 4 months. I had to file a re-inclusion request and lost considerable more then I spent for the traffic, and as far as I can tell I only gained one sale.

So I say heck yeah you can hurt a competitor. Track down a company who does some redirects from newly purchased expired domains names and pay $100 to get them to give a competitor a whole bunch of traffic. Google will drop them from the SERPS in 15 days. I mean I did it to myself, so I guess you could do it to a competitor especially if the redirecting company does not require any site validation.

gid, Jan 28, 2007 IP
  14. sqeeze

sqeeze Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many ways - two easiest is spamming competitor's url in guestbooks and other similar resources and duplicating competitor's content on all possible sites and blogs. There are many other and just most reputable sites are fully protected from being abused in these ways.

sqeeze, Jan 28, 2007 IP
  15. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's true. Destroying a competitors site is lot harder then creating a better site then your competitor.

Moreover if you have a quality website with unique things in it. Then there is nothing to be afraid from the competitors. In real you are giving them a hard time by creating more quality sites.

Nick_Mayhem, Jan 29, 2007 IP
    NetMidWest likes this.
  16. Andyz

Andyz Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, but if someone hates you? So always be nice to other people. :rolleyes:

Andyz, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  17. madmike

madmike Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes its possible, its called Google Bowling or osmehting like that i forget. BUt yea, anyone can submit your site to thousands of link farms etc.

madmike, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  18. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The simple answer to this is no. If this was possible then what would be the whole point of having the search engine. You would see so much flactuations in the rankings. As google improves its algorithm, its becoming more and more difficult to mmanipulate them, which is a very good thing.

qwestcommunications, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  19. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No INBOUND link will ever hurt you unless you link BACK out to a bad site.

Hmm care to prove your theory? Adding a site to link farms won't get you banned. Linking to link farms can though... Try it sometime...

Its called Gooogle bombing and no it can't hurt you. All bombing can do is get you an extra ranking for a unrelated phrase it will NOT hurt your rankings. And they are not created by link farms. Link farms are value-less.

visio, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  20. KA1

KA1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have thought it would be hard. For a competitor to want to hurt your rankings, you'd probably have many pages of quality content, 100s of backlinks.... etc, making it quite hard to easily discredit your site with the search engines.

KA1, Jan 29, 2007 IP