1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web Directories ? Are they good ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sourcer, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I am starting to wonder if web directories are so good as anyone belives. I don't have anything with web directories and their owners and I am not against them but I have some questions and I don't find any anwsers :)

I have 2 blogs, one 4 month old and one new it has like 1 month.

On both blogs I write constantly every day, I am bookmarking both on social bookmark sites I did LE for both of them the only difference is that the oldest one was submitted to a lot of directories and the new one - no dir.

Now at the last PR export the oldest blog didn't gain or loss anything, I mean every thing is the same, not a single inner page gained or losses PR.

The new blog gained PR3 main and a lot of inner pages PR3 and PR2 and I am on the first 10 results on google for some keywords that I want to rank.

Now my question is ? This could be possible because of the web directories that I submitted ? because I don't see other differecenes in the optimization I made.

BTW the oldest blog is on a 2 years old domain and the new 1 month old domain.

sourcer, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  2. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Make a search on DP .. I believe it has been discussed before aswell .
    Also , in short Web Directories are good / worthed submitting . Look for better web directories which are strong enough to pass on the PR . Good Luck ..!!

mixke, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  3. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good web directories is good the others are bad :D

Look for quality, you would need to pay for that though ;)

Subzero, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  4. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think a blog should be listed in blog directories in most relevant categories rather than general web directories, also check you should get listed in few blog search engine such as technorati.com

bobchrist, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  5. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If they weren't useful, so many people wouldn't have had directories :)
    How many of the directories you submitted your link to actually benefitted you ?? I mean, was your link lost in the directory?? Amongst many others???People ofcourse would have no chance to see it and SE's uhmm well....

gr8liverpoolfan, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  6. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is a very valid question, especially at the moment. My only site that lost PR in the update (which isn't yet finished so things might change) despite links growing is the only site that I have submitted to a number of paid directories. This may well be coincidence and due to other factors (for example, that I sell links from that page and I am being penalised for that -- although if G can detect such activity is also open to debate) but I think we need to consider this question.

I'm also getting the impression that some directories have lost PR in the update, whether that is due to them being directories or other factors is also a worthwhile question...

Just wish I had some answers....

bochgoch, Jan 26, 2007 IP
    sourcer likes this.
  7. sourcer

sourcer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am listed in technorati with both of them of course the old one with a higher rank.

I am sure open for such a debate....

And maybe is just a matter of time if you think that PR export isn't finished yet.

sourcer, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  8. DSB

DSB Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's likely that you'll lose page rank by getting listed in directories.
    You will however lose page rank if you get listed too quickly. Try and make 10 submissions a week for six months and you should only gain from doing so.

DSB, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  9. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    kiviniar, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  10. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This isn't true, I got 500 directory listings in a week and nothing happened. You wont lose any PR if you get directory links.

Subzero, Jan 26, 2007 IP
    KC TAN likes this.
  11. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Listing in high quality and highly relevant directories will do wonders for your pagerank. You need to select directories that only contain quality websites that are well categorised, also make sure your link will appear on a page with toolbar pagerank.

Don't be afraid of paying for a few submissions too, especially if your link will be on a PR3+ page.

:)

mistermix, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  12. jaguar-archie2006

jaguar-archie2006 Banned

Best Answers:
    any free or one way links are good, but you should also consider the cause and effects. ( Quality / Benefits )

jaguar-archie2006, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  13. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Peon

Best Answers:
    How many links/day are too many before Google gets suspicious?

Bestmiler, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  14. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that gaining inbound links at a frequent rate will not cause a site to lose its rankings as this cannot be controlled by the respective webmasters..

Back to the topic, directories still help in gaining PR for a site, especially those good ones :)

KC TAN, Jan 26, 2007 IP
    Subzero likes this.
  15. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Many directories are so crap that submitting to them will not make your site link and will just tell google that you are actively 'SEO-ing' your site.
    Some good directories, that are actually moderated (not every link is accepted) will do your site good - especially if the directory has actual visitors.

kh7, Jan 26, 2007 IP
    Subzero likes this.
  16. RH78

RH78 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that because your old blog is on a 2 yr old domain, the age of the domain will have something to with it as well. If I am not mistaken, the SEs (at least Google) places value on domain age.

RH78, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  17. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    You won't loose PR over directory submissions. That's certainly true. Yes, the age of the domain matters as well. The age of the link matters as well. Old is better. So one would expect the old blog to do better. If it didn't - and the links you got for it are in fact the only links to it - that's probably the reason. I would still be interested to know if your other blog didn't per chance get some great link (one quality link can be enough) that just makes it rank and get PR.

Aaron Wall (SEObook - see my links) seems to feel that even crap directories help in MSN and Yahoo, so they are worth it from that perspective. BUT he added that for google you need a few quality links to compensate for the crappy directory links.
    It's about the 'co-citation': if you are mentioned along with crappy sites, your site is probably crappy as well. If you are mentioned along on a quality site, along with other quality websites, your site is probably quality... if you have quality links, a few crappy links aren't going to ruin your rankings. Every site that has ranked a while on google will have crappy links from scraper-pages anyhow.

These days google is about trust: PR is only one measure (the one we see). A high PR link is usually also a trusted link - so it does sort of work. But not all low-PR links are untrusted. Be human about it.

kh7, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  18. sourcer

sourcer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got exactly same links in fact on the old blog I did some LE with related blogs and with very quality sites. The new one has no link from other blogs and sites only from social bookmarking...

sourcer, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  19. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    losing PR is not all that I'm concerned about...I'm concerned about trust in my domain

oseymour, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  20. shaki

shaki Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you are gathering one way links but not link exchnages than for sure you will not loose any PR. Submit in as many directories as you can, it won't hurt PR it can just help your link to become more popular/visable=valuable

shaki, Jan 26, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.