1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Optimization - Just occured to me....

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by liquidboy, Jan 25, 2007.

Hey guys,

I just want to confirm something with you guys...

It just occured to me, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but if i analyze google websites (like google groups) that they would be optimized for google's algo's?

I mean if i take there groups website and look at there rendered HTML structure and there URL structure that if theres common design patterns that they would be considered good candidates for SEO techniques..

eg. in google groups there url structures are pretty clear..

1. main content goes in a folder structure like this
    http://[DOMAIN]/[Grouping]/[TOPIC-OR-ARTICLE]
    HTML:
    2. site-map from this topic/article goes in a subfolder something like this
    http://[DOMAIN]/[Grouping]/[TOPIC-OR-ARTICLE]/topics 
    HTML:
    so if i had a video sharing site im best to SEO it with a similar structure

1. Main story content (a clip about paula abdul getting wasted) would go in a page like this:
    Http://www.RipThatClip/News/Paula-abdul-wasted/story.html
    HTML:
    2. All the comments pertaining to the clip could go into another page at the same level like this:
    Http://www.RipThatClip/News/Paula-abdul-wasted/comments.html
    HTML:
    3. The site map of all the links from the main page (1 above) would go in a subfolder like this
    Http://www.RipThatClip/News/Paula-abdul-wasted/topics/sitemap.html
    HTML:

I spend alot of time looking at patterns for SEO across all the high ranked websites but i've never really extended that chain of thinking to actual google websites..

And im thinking that google groups are an awesome place to extend that thinking because all there groups are always highly ranked (as you'd expect) but also entries written today always end up indexed almost immediately..

ps. I also don't think that the algo's preferentially treat google groups any different to other websites, i don't think there algo's would have any such switches to treat specific sites specially, it wouldnt be an algo otherwise! Hence google groups are subject to the same treatment as normal websites thus going through the same phases of indexing for ranking..

pss. there underlying google group discussion pages also hold some nuggets that are too numerous to share here

Anyway this is just my view, id like to hear what other brainy DP users think...

Regards LiquidBoy

liquidboy, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  2. DSB

DSB Peon

Best Answers:
    I think what you're saying is all good. Unfortunately the reason that Google manages to rank well is probably down to two, more simple reasons:

1) The have an old, v trusted domain

2) They have lots of inbound links

DSB, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  3. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with DSB on this one, however having a proper sub folder structure is important. You don't want to have super long URLs. Nor do you want to have pages in a db. If they are HTML or Php pages they will rank faster IMO I may be wrong. But a good structure is important in any case.

theseokit, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  4. liquidboy

liquidboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point guys... opps my bad almost forgot those 2 points...

But i am gonna start using that structure for my clip site and see how it ranks over time (bought my RipThatClip domain nearly a year ago but only started developing it about 3 weeks ago so ill be out of the sandbox very soon). Ill see how the results of implementing the google url structure mentioned above goes and also the little quirky things i found in there underlying discussion pages..

Let's see how well i rank on prime realestate keywords (due to the nature of my clip site)..

Thanks for your comments guys!

Thanks

liquidboy, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  5. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    No prob, just keep in mind that SEO doesnt stop at URL structure and basic optimization! Its a world of constant New things!

theseokit, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  6. PHP5-Hosting

PHP5-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, I noticed this too, so I came up with a design/framework that gives my DB-driven websites this same structure.
    I've been observing one of my project sites for some time, but haven't really seen any significant effect. Well, it's been up for just two short months though.
    This specific site has a 94% SEO score according to DomainTools. After two months, my site only ranks 1st in three-keyword (at the least) searches.

PHP5-Hosting, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  7. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    As I said, database pages are just a pain! standard is the way to go.

theseokit, Jan 26, 2007 IP