1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to spend money on a Press Release no limit what to do?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by TheSyndicate, Jan 24, 2007.

I got money from a client to spend on a press release and its more then enough from what I seen on the paid sites. My client wants a bang and loads of people to his sites. What should I do and who should I hire to make this happen?

(any spelling mistakes of me from now until Saturday is because i took out 2 teeth and knocked myself out with loads of colored pills)

TheSyndicate, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  2. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Hire Jen Mathern, Internet author, or Market Junction, or Denise J, or any one else from there club :)

sundaybrew, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  3. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry but who are they and where do it get them?

4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    sundaybrew, Jan 24, 2007 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  5. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    by the way, if you do not have something worthy in the site i.e. no new innovative sites, press release is not a right way to bring in visitors.

press release is a tool to get media attention whereby if you do have a great innovative sites, you will get lots of traffic from it. Else, it would be just a spike in your traffic. In this case, adword would be a better way to get a targeted visitors.

toby, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  6. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i own a PR distribution site prurgent.com. You are welcome to submit press releases there.:)

you can also find a nice list of PR sites to submit .. here

Hope that helps.

olddocks, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  7. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    they are buying a domain from another company and making a big buzz of it. So i guess Pr is the best way to do it we are doing adword it as well

8. whatsthedeal

whatsthedeal Active Member

Best Answers:
    i can write the PR and guarantee over 100,000 reads and 1,000+ pickup through PRWeb.com for $200 + my fees

whatsthedeal, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can't guarantee pickups in PRweb unless you're offering comprehensive media monitoring yourself or through another provider. As I've told you in most threads already, PRweb's pickup number is nothing more than an estimate, and isn't a reliable statistic (that's like guaranteeing they'll get picked up by a certain number of scraper sites - who cares?? - all that matters is real coverage, not estimates or reposts).

jhmattern, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  10. whatsthedeal

Best Answers:
    Yea, thousands of people are wrong about PRWeb...it doesn't work.

give me a break, I've doubled revenue in some areas thanks to PRWeb.

PRWeb is used for traffic-driving to websites...no it isn't half as good as traditional PR methods in the real world, but on the web, results are results. If we were talking about a local business or franchise trying to expand, then yes, PRWeb would not be a good choice. But if that same local business had a website and it was primarily focused on driving traffic, PRWeb would be the ultimate quick, guaranteed results method.

There certainly appears to be a generation gap on this board...old-skoolers vs. new skoolers

11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    We've had this discussion plenty of times. Again... look at the market using PRweb versus the companies getting serious coverage. PR is my business. I know what works. And as I've also already told you, PRweb is fine for what it is, and it has its place. But it's not the best, it's not something someone should build all of their PR services around (unless they're clueless as to real potential), and it's also not the best way to build backlinks and traffic (it's just the quickest - "best" would be getting real media coverage in major outlets who publish your URL directly to hundreds of thousands of members of your highly targeted goal audience, and who are reputable enough that people would value a referral from them - that then has an enormous trickle-down effect through other outlets and then through blogs, and is MUCH more valuable than guaranteeing people "pickups" that amount to scraper sites pulling feeds and lazy journalists just reposting a release). PRweb does NOT guarantee any kind of traffic results either.

There's nothing "old school" about what I'm saying. I just actually know what I'm talking about. The majority of my PR work is in online PR, and I'm very up on developments. I don't, however, encourage 2.0 options just because they're the latest things. My clients get the best advice for their needs, as do people who publicly ask questions here, so they can learn something and make their own decisions. When PRweb gets off the craze of adding new Web features at the expense of actual media relations, maybe they'll be worth more again from a PR perspective. As of now, it's just an irrelevant high PR site you can pay a lot of money to post a press release to, and a cheaper alternative for webmasters who don't know how to get better coverage, aren't willing to put in the time, or can't afford to pay for a PR person to help them get it. If you're willing to pay for top 10 placement (NOT $200), you might actually get a few honest and decent pickups. But for nothing, or much less, you can be more successful in that regard. And if you really want to spend the dough, go with someone that actually targets journalists instead of focusing predominantly on Web postings.

TheSyndicate likes this.
  12. whatsthedeal

Best Answers:
    I agree with alot of this, I never said PRWeb was the ultimate source for PR...however, it is the absolute-guaranteed-no questions-best bang for the buck method of driving website traffic for $200 or less. PRWeb is making alot of people alot of money.

13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Again. There... is... NO.... guarantee! PRweb doesn't guarantee pickups, so you can't guarantee pickups through them, which is what you were doing. I can higher quality backlinks by doing a free manual distribution campaign to targeted outlets that I know others pull from. In that case, it's not the most bang for the buck either. It's good for what it is. Traffic-generation isn't what PRweb (or press releases) are about. They're a side effect, and you get more (and better targeted) traffic by doing it right from the start. Generic traffic means nothing. All that matters is traffic from your targeted audience who actually enable you to monetize the site.

14. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So whatsthedeal... if I send a press release to one journalist at associated press (free), who turns it into a news story (including a link to my website) and that story gets covered in a dozen metropolitan newspapers and a national newspaper and the next day I do morning tv and radio interviews around the country for the better part of the day... resulting in a cluster on google news and yahoo news - and is fed into international online news feeds on newspaper, tv and radio websites... that bloggers cite and write about... your saying that's old school. No, old school is when you do that with a story that isn't really newsworthy to begin with, but you pick a good angle and supply a new perspective and get all that coverage out of what was initially just a dull story. Thats old school.

What you are suggesting is going through a website (that charges $200) to put your release online, that allows other sites to put a copy of that press release on their site, or blog about it, and gets read into google and yahoo news. That's still going to school. Yes, it may drive some traffic and double the income of some sites... but until you have compared that to the old school way and got real coverage out of an initially dull story (for free) what do you have to compare prweb with?

I understand why people may aim for having a press release on prweb and increased traffic and some links from scraper sites. They hear posts from people like you and see it as within their reach. They listen to what I describe and don't think that is within their reach. Often it's not.

But why shouldn't they talk to someone who can help them get a good angle and write the release up properly and submit it to a journalist at their metro newspaper? It may not work, but why not try and learn as you go? If that doesn't work, they could always pay to put it on prweb or whatever else if they fail.

As for your guarantee... jhmattern covered that and I agree.

So let me ask you this: if you think websites are hungry for content wait till you meet journalists - why don't you try a metro newspaper yourself? If you are willing to charge others to prep their release for prweb, you must be pretty good at them? Are you good enough to write a release for one of your own sites and get it in a real newspaper with a link to your website? I don't doubt you could, I'm just asking why don't you try? Get a lick of that ice cream and then tell me about press release websites.

Dominic, Jan 24, 2007 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  15. whatsthedeal

Best Answers:
    you can guarantee PRWeb pickups in terms of the way they report them...anyone who ues PRWeb would understand this. just because you have you own version of PR doesn't mean that tens of thousands of people are wrong. in fact, you are the minority, and for good reason.

if you are so great at IM why don't you post some numbers, some results...stuff that can be verified? It sounds like you are a traditional PR person with no concept of the current web-traffic driving standards. The OP is looking for SITE TRAFFIC, not a 6 month relationship with media agencies that may or may not develop into more in-depth coverage for his site.

16. whatsthedeal

Best Answers:
    Look, here is the bottom line. I HAVE NEVER SAID that traditional PR methods don't work, or shouldn't be used fully. But what I am saying is do it all. You have to correlate a person's or company's short-term needs with the available resources out there. For site-traffic PRWeb is a must. It is a guarantee. Building relationships is great, and can take you light years further than PRWeb...but they aren't even comparable. Relationships and traditional PR methodologies are a totally different beast than a quick-fix service like PRWeb...however, on the web, what matters is traffic and SEO. If you odn't think PRWeb is worth it you are A) kidding yourself B) a PR person who loses business to PRWeb or C) out of the loop.

I always say USE BOTH methods...but count on PRWeb for the immediate, cost-effective boost.

17. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    You can't guarantee anything. PRweb doesn't report pickups. They report "estimated pickups." They're just a guess. They have no basis in reality. Therefore you can't guarantee "pickups" based on a made up number. It's a simple concept.

I've gotten clients covered in a wide variety of outlets, from having unknown indie bands featured in radio interviews and on-air play time to having companies featured in large metropolitan newspapers, to having major online pickups for Web-based clients (just counting "real" stories with independent interviews, and nothing just reposted). There's only one PR - public relations is public relations. You either learn how to use a variety of tools effectively, or you don't, because you're too stuck on promoting one source. No quality PR person would just push PRweb to everyone they meet (what you constantly do).

I never claimed to be an IM expert. My expertise is PR. If you don't know the difference, that says a lot. While related, they're not the same... even if you want to narrowly focus exclusively on online PR. I've driven traffic to clients. More importantly, I've gotten them exposure that led to better things (like being consulted later as an expert in their field, additional media coverage, relationships with journalists who go on to publish additional stories later, etc.). PR is about exposure... not website hits. Once you put a pleasant by-product as a main focus, you've lost touch completely with the reality of the potential of the tools that you're using.

You keep going back to the same point of PRweb being so cost effective. We've repeatedly explained why it's not, when compared to manual distribution done right. But I'm not going to waste my breath on that anymore. Dominic already illustrated the point perfectly and in greater detail than I have the patience to go into. But just for the record, you don't always say use both methods... the majority of your posts are along the lines of "you've got to pay to play" and always pushing PRweb with a generic package.

18. whatsthedeal

Best Answers:
    You seem to have missed the point that this is a MARKETING forum, where people are trying to optimize their websites through SEO, and traffic-driving methodologies. I am giving advice based purely on proven internet marketing tactics that are used by tens of thousands of companies with great success.
    If you aren't #1-10 on google for your niche, if you aren't easily found in searches through all of the major SEs, and if you aren't getting links from anchor text and keywords through online PR distribution networks...well, than you might as well not have an internet business site.

Get lost if you are just going to be negative...you know nothing about IM, it's obvious. The majority of people on here, including the OP, are looking to optimize their website and drive traffic...not establish media relationships or long-term PR plans.

19. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    What's obvious is that you know nothing about PR, and do nothing but promote one service. PR is related to marketing - it's not my fault that there's not a separate area for it or that many people (including you) obviously don't know the difference. At the same time, it definitely has a place here, as demonstrated by the large number of people here who trust my background and experience on the matter from DP to hire me for press releases and other PR efforts, refer me to a point where I rarely have to market at all to keep my schedule filled, and who come to me for advice whether they're a client or not.

I'm not going to "get lost" just so you can fill the forum with more promotional misinformation that I then I have to correct with my clients who bought into your hype instead of reality. If you can't handle the truth, then stop posting on the subject, or learn a thing or two first before you continually mislead people. Or just respond to the questions and criticism once fully for a change - you keep touting "unbelievable" results, yet when asked, you conveniently ignore it.

To top it off, as I've repeatedly said in multiple threads in response to you, serious PR efforts often lead to better online coverage, more backlinks with more relevance, and more traffic that actually matters (targeted traffic that media outlets reach on your behalf far greater than PRweb, scraper sites, and small blogs do).

Apparently you just can't get a clue. That's fine. But don't let the ignorance rub off on people who do have real interests to promote. I don't care if they hire you, me, someone else, or write it themselves (hell, I give them free templates to let them do just that). I'm not going to be hurting for business either way. All that matters to me is that people know the truth about how it works so they can make the best decisions for their needs. So don't act like you have any kind of altruistic motive, saying you promote trying various methods... you've repeatedly done nothing of the kind.

20. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So far, in answer to the question no limit spend on a press release what do I do?

The suggestions are:
    Contact a list of 4 people who have a good rep here
    Spend $200 at prweb

And then we got side-tracked.

My answer: If you want to spend up big on a release, I'd go for two to three staggered releases, done by a public relations consulting firm who you keep on for future work. I've never used consultants before as I just do all my stuff myself, but I'm sure they could enhance what I'm doing, even though I'm very experienced. Probably I'd spend the money more on a launch event and invite the media to a media opp there.

I wouldn't rule out using prweb or similar websites, that may be the only viable option for some websites, but it would be the last thing I'd try after everything else failed.

So back to the initial question ... anyone: I want to spend money on a press release no limit what do i do?

Dominic, Jan 24, 2007 IP