1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ask Jeeves or About

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by virginia-home, May 29, 2005.

It seems that Ask Jeeves is making a big push in the market. They are pretty much coming in as the fourth best engine at the moment and looking to gain share. About.com has been trying to make a move for years without little success. Let's discuss some of the keys to move up the Ask Jeeves engine rankings...

virginia-home, May 29, 2005 IP
  2. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    It would help if their spiders would index more. ;)

thebassman, May 29, 2005 IP
  3. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    man, I get hit by the ask/teoma spider way too much (compared to the traffic I'm getting from them); I can't even find my site on ask.com (only searching for the exact url).

there is a lot to do at ask/teoma ; and as I understand it, that's what they are going to do :)

frankm, May 29, 2005 IP
  4. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    Exactly... the spiders are there, but nothing gets indexed...

thebassman, May 29, 2005 IP
  5. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got a #1 position for my top 5 keyphrases, but I don't necessarily know what the secret is to obtaining those rankings. My on-page SEO is good and I've got lots of good links along with a bunch of junk links (forum sigs etc).

What's strange is that the #2 site is a domain that has not been active for at least one year. It actually forwards to a new domain using the meta refresh. So how it can place so well is a mystery. It has few BLs and on-page is okay but not great. The only thing it has going for it is that it is an old domain, about 8 years old.

longcall911, May 29, 2005 IP
  6. tradefor

tradefor Peon

Best Answers:
    I really only even noticed Ask Jeeves about 7 - 10 days ago. Since that time AJ has been a frequent, but low bandwidth visitor; for me, much in the same way Slurp is.
    I get absolutely no traffic from AJ though, and am not ranked anywhere with them.

Perhaps that given the company is being sold to Barry Diller's IAC/InterActiveCorp the mid-to-upper tier executives at Ask Jeeves are anticipating IACI's deeper pockets which will allow them to innovate a bit: proactively providing associated content that may be of use alongside the searcher's specific keyword enquiry? By repute, Diller is supposed to be the "content-packager" par excellence.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/articles/0,15114,1065862,00.html?promoid=yahoo

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050526/ask_jeeves.html?.v=4

If the content is somewhat peripheral to the new AJ Search procedure, I think it may be tough to optimize a site to take advantage of this approach.

tradefor, May 29, 2005 IP
  7. CTABUK

CTABUK Guest

Best Answers:
    No Guarantee here, at all. But go to www.Mamma.com and see what special PPC offers it has, if it's really cheap try an add.Then go to www.Teoma.com and read on what Teoma looks for in a site. I did this 2 years ago ad have been number 1 on Ask Jeeves ever since. Good luck

CTABUK, May 31, 2005 IP
  8. john1970

john1970 Guest

Best Answers:
    Get a listing at goguides.org

john1970, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  9. rspadi

rspadi Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm having difficulties, getting indexed - spiders are coming, but seems like nothing is happening.

rspadi, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  10. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    Jeeves appears to have sold out. The first 8-10 results are sponsored links. They won't catch up with that kind of design.

my3cents, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  11. jrwall68

jrwall68 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's even hard to find the organic links on jeeves. It's all sponsored.

j
    www.internationaladoptionstories.com

jrwall68, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  12. ElectronDon

ElectronDon Peon

Best Answers:
    Checking my log files, Ask Jeeves is all over my site, with more spiders than any other engine. Anyway, I don't get any traffic from them at all. I must not be in their results. Could it be that there is an AJ sandbox?

ElectronDon, Jun 24, 2005 IP